JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

why not ?

I voted flop, We seemed to have a habit of buying forwards with a good reputation and turning them shite. hope we have changed this when our next new big name forward comes to VP :)

surprised its 70% hero tho.

Guest Ricardomeister

For me he is clearly neither a hero nor a flop but somewhere in between. He had 1 very good season, 1 decent season and a couple of poor seasons so a good player but lacked the pace to be really top standard. Sounds like he was a genuinely nice guy off the pitch though.

He was playing excellently, he had scored 24 goals one season and had scored 16 before GT MkII turned up and bought that waste of space Crouch, dropped JPA, whilst Crouch was being shit, JPA lost fitness, got injured and never really recovered.

JPA would have IMO been one of our best strikers ever, had GT MkII not ruined his previous reputation (GT's) and come back to manage Villa. GT really has gone down to numpty level, by neqarly relegating us and **** up JPA's career, by replacing him with Rodney Trotter.

Fookin' 'ell, this is a blast from the past! I remember watching his debut from the Trinity and thinking he was a class act. It was obvious to me he was going to have to acclimatise to the PL but it was equally obvious he was an intelligent player with a great touch. He had a rough time here at times so I was very pleased when he had some great times as well - the guy had cojones but he was also a thoroughly nice guy, it seemed. Did we get the best out of him all the time he was here? No, of course not and the club learned some lessons from it.

It would be interesting to see how a prime JPA would fare coming into this team and the club as it is now.

If the guy wasn't a class act thru and thru, than you might have an argument that he was a flop, cuz there were LONG periods when he was invisible and ineffective.

And that nightmare hand ball/penalty miss game....oh my...... :shock:

But he was an honest successor to the Dwight Yorke mantle, in that he had flair, great ability, scored goals ( though not enuff), and had name value.

I love JPA, because he's a great person who loved Aston Villa. He was proud to play for us.

I was pretty gutted we never got to give him a good send off

Yeah, there is something unfinished there. If this poll is representative then 70%+ would acclaim him as a hero and I would expect the remaining 30% to applaud politely. It would be great to hear the old "Juan Pablo Angel! There's only only Juan Pablo Angel, Juan Pablo Angel!" ringing and echoing around VP again.

Not to mention how badly he was treated by that numpty Graham Taylor.

NB, I don't give a toss what he did first time around, he ruined it all on his second coming and almost relegating the club and replacing a goal scoring, inform JPA, with that lanky, talentless, waste of space Peter Crouch.

There's nothing more annoying than people saying he had one good season!

He scored over 60 goals for the club, how many Villa players have done that in recent years?

Â