JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

Bit late in the day to join the thread, but why the either/or mentality? Truth is Pablo sits somewhere in the middle.

JPA was a decent player. He wasnt a flop, and he wasnt really a hero. People are forgetting about him already, he will be a footnote in 20 years. Good player, not great.

I really liked JPA - at that time he was one of our most skillful and intelligent players on the pitch. I think the rest of our squad weren't upto his abilities - I could imagine him banging them week in week out with the current team, esp with Young, Barry and Milner in midfield.

He was a good player for us and deserves his place amongst our cult heroes IMO.

This has been done to death now....for the last time EVER. Good striker, under rated by some, shone when we played fast flowing attacking football, disappeared when we resorted to lumping it. Would have bagged a lot more if we had done a bit more of the former and a lot less of the latter. By all accounts a nice guy and a good pro. End.

60 goals in 203 games, and that's shit?

Yes, course it is............

His last three seasons were undeniably shit. Three goals in the whole of 2005/06 season was a pathetic return, even if it was a struggling team.

60 goals in 203 games, and that's shit?

Yes, course it is............

His last three seasons were undeniably shit. Three goals in the whole of 2005/06 season was a pathetic return, even if it was a struggling team.

Obviously that was substandard, but he did have a few injuries and also was left out a lot, which didn't seem to make sense at the time.

The fact is JPA could have been the crappest player of all time, but the manner of his arrival endeared him to a lot of fans and will therefore be a hero.

I personally think he was a gifted footballer and I enjoyed watching him. My favourite player along with Savo (another misunderstood genius!)

Also i know he didn't get a decent send off but i hope he doesn't come back and be presented at a game. Over the last few years i think only paul mcgrath, ron saunders and the 82 squad have been presented to the crowd, i think we should keep that honour for true club legends.

His first goal for the club effectively sent the Cack down to Division One where they've remained ever more - cult status just for that!

What a night we had in the Drakes Drum after that game! :lol::lol::lol:

His first goal for the club effectively sent the Cack down to Division One where they've remained ever more - cult status just for that!

What a night we had in the Drakes Drum after that game! :lol::lol::lol:

that is a myth,

Coventry would have been relegated even if they had won cus Derby beat Man Utd at Old Trafford and Boro had a goal difference that was about 30 better

Also i know he didn't get a decent send off but i hope he doesn't come back and be presented at a game. Over the last few years i think only paul mcgrath, ron saunders and the 82 squad have been presented to the crowd, i think we should keep that honour for true club legends.

Ian Taylor Is another that i can remember, on more than 1 occasion.

Neither a hero or a flop as I've said previously on the thread.

The sort of player you really needed to have a style of player around for him to do well, ironic thing is he was the right player at the wrong time, he'd fit in very well in this team imo with Young supplying cross after cross and Gabby there. We saw this right at the start of MON's reign when he played upfront alongside Gabby and Luke moore and it worked o.k for a few months although age had caught up with JPA at that point.

In short much better than wasters like Balaban and Baros, on a par with Savo but not quite up there with the likes of Dublin and Yorke imo.

I liked him and was very excited when right towards the end MON played him up front in a triangle with Young left and Gabby right.

But he only gave us one maybe two good seasons and would go ages without scoring or looking like scoring, i think if he had arrived at Villa today with the team we have and MON in charge then he could have been even better.

I agree not a hero but not a flop.

McGrath was a hero, Dublin was a hero

Balaban, Curcic and many others were flops

JPA doesn't fit in either category

that is a myth,

Coventry would have been relegated even if they had won cus Derby beat Man Utd at Old Trafford and Boro had a goal difference that was about 30 better

Most wrong. If Coventry had won they'd have mathematically had a chance of staying up. Us winning made it mathematically impossible. Therefore we relegated Coventry.

Did anyone see JPA in yesterday's match programme ? Met up with some Villa fans in New York apparently and says he always checks every day to see what's happening at Villa and still misses us all.

that is a myth,

Most wrong. If Coventry had won they'd have mathematically had a chance of staying up. Us winning made it mathematically impossible. Therefore we relegated Coventry.

Indeed. Living within a Coventry postcode and having Coventry fans as some of my closest friends I dare say I have given this subject more thought than most. Truth is, Coventry arrived at Villa Park that day a Premier League club. They left Villa Park beaten and relegated. At full time they knew they were gone because of the game they had just played, results elsewhere were academic. Any Coventry fan who tries to convince you otherwise is just desperate to block out the fact that their club were relegated at the place they really really really didnt want to be relegated at.

Â