JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

Great player, great attitude I'll never forget the goal he scored against Chelsea in the Carling Cup, or the goal against Bolton in the 5-3 defeat on the tight angle. Skillful player indeed, not great on confidence but he had a lot against him, totally gets a hero vote.

1 excellent season 1 good season and 3/4 poor seasons, out of the two it would be closer to flop for me, but he shoudl be somewhere between the 2

just about sums it up really, can not really see how people can disagree with this

Not sure why this debate keeps re-occurring - however, my answer is of course "Hero" (and the best looking player at Villa for a long time)

1 excellent season 1 good season and 3/4 poor seasons, out of the two it would be closer to flop for me, but he shoudl be somewhere between the 2

just about sums it up really, can not really see how people can disagree with this

Quite easily, you just don't like him because he is a "fancy foreigner" that you are always against regardless.

To be fair, most of the seasons he was 'poor', he barely ever started.

00/01 - 7 starts (2 subs) - 1 goal -- I think anybody that calls this poor has got something againt him, he played football for us for 4 months, that's not even enough time to learn the language, etc. N/A - Not enough starts

01/02 - 27 starts (2 subs) - 12 goals -- This is a very good season, in my opinion, nearly a 1 in 2 goals ratio in goals:starts, which is what World class strikers aim for, this was his first full season. Great season

02/03 - 7 starts (8 subs) - 1 goal -- For some reason Graham Taylor thought it would be a good move to drop our top scorer from last season and kill his confidence because..? You tell me, I can't work it out. Can't rate this season, he simply didn't start enough games. N/A - Not enough starts

03/04 - 33 starts (0 subs) - 16 goals -- DOL did the right thing and bring him back into the side, superb season. When you consider the squad we had back then, this was an oustanding acheivment with 23 goals in all competitions. Superb season

04/05 - 30 starts (5 subs) - 7 goals -- His goal return wasn't great, but when you look at the fact he was our top scorer, it doesn't say much for the rest of the team, does it. Average season in a bad team. Okay season

05/06 - 12 starts (19 subs) - 3 goals -- Didn't get many starts, but when you start more than 10 games and play in over 25, you should get more than 3 goals. Bad season

06/07 - 18 starts (5 subs) - 4 goals -- Like above, he should have done better. Moved on to New York towards the end of Jan. We finished 16th this year, so in his defense the rest of the team was crap. Bad season

203 games - 60 goals - 1 goal every 3.3 games. I'd guess around 50 or so were sub appearances, so his goals per starts ratio wouldn't be much higher than 1 in 2.5 games or so, which is a good return, in my opinion, especially as he played in some shocking Villa sides. 2 outsanding seasons in said bad teams, but finished it off with 2 poor ones, though he was in his 30s then, so was on the down. Not a legend, but a hero and would have flurished in a better team, in my opinion.

Easily, because it's a very simplistic and distorted view of it... and simply it's wrong.

For me, JPA will be forever a hero

Yes, I agree.

I have said it before, and I will say it again - when JPA scored, it felt that it really meant something to him, that his celebrations were something special, and for me, I just felt so pleased for the guy whenever he scored.

I think that the Villa will be forever etched in his heart, and he was man enough to put any disappointments and being dropped/left out/whatever to one side, and carried on with dignity and a stout heart.

That Chelsea goal was class, one of my favourite goals ever.

i agree the chelsea goal was good, and when he was playing for a new contract Angel was good, but to produce that form in very few games means he was either over-acheving in those games or he was lazy in 90% of the games he turned out for us. i prefer the idea that he was lazy, therefore not a hero

Legend, so sad when he left

He never even got a send off of any sorts, how very sad.. :(

We should invite him back and have him on the pitch at half time or pre match :thumb:

He could take Harewood back with him :D

Maybe we can swap them, personally I think Angel is still better.

Angel will always be a hero of mine, he was our last hope at a pretty bleak time at the club. He scored some great goals, those league cup goals against Chelsea and Bolton, other pretty good goals, against the likes of Wolves. And not to mention, his first goal pretty much relegated Coventry.

He clearly loved the club and didn't want to leave, but we were moving in a different direction.

I miss listening to Villa World back in the 2003/04 season when Woodward would stop talking about god knows what and start describing how Angel had just scored or was about to.

Oh and he humiliated LA Galaxy with a free kick which he drove under the wall and into the net.

Hero.

Â