JPA - villa hero or villa flop?

Jimzk5

JPA: Hero or Flop  

341 members have voted

1. 1. JPA: Hero or Flop

• Hero
    • Flop

Hero for me... probably not a total hero, but he's still a grwat person and great player,but maybe hero is a bit too much.

If he was here here now he'd score a bucket load!!

I wish we'd have been able to properly say goodbye a la mellberg

3. Again, so what? People go through shit experiences all the time. I lost my best friend this year but I didn't quit my job... and neither did I get any extra treatment from the university I go to. And why should I? I know I am being extremely cold towards this subject now....

So everyone deals with bad experiences in the same way you do? 1970's man over ere?

Rocafella, I think you're missing the point a bit. Off the field things can affect someones opinion on a player, for example, I'm sure alot of people on here don't like Dwight Yorke, why not? His on the field performances were superb, other factors DO play a part in ones opinion of a player.

Neither for me.

Good in the first half of the 2001/2002 season.

Very good in the 2003/04 season.

So what, a season and a half out of 6 years?

That might be good enough for the likes of SHA (who laughably accclaim Duggary to be their second best player of all time -he was there less than a year), not even close to legend material for me.

But calling him an out-and-out flop is probably a step too far.

There have been many worse players to wear the C and B over the years.

Was never the same player after his knee injury in 2004.

Was never the quickest, but after that he always seemed to be a yard off the pace.

A shame, as I reckon in a good Villa side -like now- he could have thrived.

We used him as a target man, which I don't ever think was his natural game.

I viewed him more as a Peter Beardsley-type forward (without the Quazi Modo looks obviously).

I haven't read through the 17 pages of this thread, so this has probably been written already:

Isn't there a massive gap between hero and flop which Angel surely falls into?

If hero is 10 (Mortimer, Cowans, God) and flop is 1 (Bosko Balaban), I would rate Angel at 6.3.

Ish!

So everyone deals with bad experiences in the same way you do? 1970's man over ere?

No what I am saying is that people are always using all this excuses why he wasn't the best player in the world. Almost implying that he would have been a galactico hadn't it been for numerous stuff that happened in his life. All in all, I think he suffered too much with these factors and it's a pitty for him. That's why he was rather average from season to season IMO. He had a great season, but please remember he only scored 16 league goals which isn't that big of a deal for a club finishing 6th. From 04/05 to 06/07 he played 35, 31 and 23 games in each season netting 5, 3 and 4 goals respectively. Pretty awful record to be honest, much worser than I would have guessed! When he scored 16 goals we scored very little, only 48 or something. That tells the tale of a team only attacking in one way, resulting in many goals from one player but few from others. Just like Bolton with Michael Ricketts and Birmingham with Mickael Forssell. Forssell scored 17 goals that season by the way, it's not like he is a hero.

Rocafella, I think you're missing the point a bit. Off the field things can affect someones opinion on a player, for example, I'm sure alot of people on here don't like Dwight Yorke, why not? His on the field performances were superb, other factors DO play a part in ones opinion of a player.

True. People have different views on everything though... which I respect. However, Angel was maybe a legend and a good bloke, representing the club and taking good care of the fans etc. As a footballer he didn't do enough over time to deserve such status. Perhaps it's his long hair, being from Colombia and awesome name that does the trick, I dunno :)

A couple of good seasons, a few mediocre ones.

Poorly treated at the start by Villa, but improved.

Great ambassador for the club and a loyal servant.

Overall, I would give him much better than average, maybe not quite good though.

Found this topic last night when i was bored came back from work to find five more pages. Agree with a few people who said there should be a naither option. A hero for me is someone like God or Cowans. If JPA is a hero there is properply another 30 odd from the past 20 years.

One great season, one good season, 3 or 4 very poor ones. At his best he was brilliant, superb goals against Chelsea and Bolton being among the best I've seen from a Villa player. Unfortunately, for the last three years he was a complete dud, by far the slowest and least effective player I've seen at Villa.

Flop or legend if I had to chose it would be flop! He had a great attitude in that he was always very respectful. But his head dropped too easily for me and his confidence always seemed very fragile. Atop talent and had one great season for us, but most of the time he was distinctly average. I always got annoyed at him for look for the run in behind when he never had the pace do it. I always felt that he should have been getting stuck in more and using he physical strength more.

I don't think he was a flop, but there is no way he is deserving of legendary status. I don't think we got 9.5 million pounds plus his 35k a week wage worth of a return.

Nearer flop than hero.

9.5 mill years ago we should have got more return on him. Skillful little player just not robust enough for the prem. Never scored against the big teams neither. Looked good against the weaker teams.

The word hero should be kept for players in the class of Sir Paul McGrath, Gary Shaw, Sid Cowans etc

Â