Ryan Bertrand

Didiersix

He's not a big enough name for Jose, i've no doubt we could get him if we wanted. But bigger clubs that will pay him better will be in for him i'm sure

We need to wrap this one up quickly & secure his services for as long as possible at the earliest opportunity. Albion missed out on extending Lukaku's loan extension & were finally beaten to the punch by Everton. We must not allow others this same opportunity.

• Like 2

Can't see Chelsea wanting much more than 4-5m for someone who's still only played 10 prem games or close to that.

Would be a good summer signing for the level we're at. We'd also offer him week in week out football which he probably wouldn't even get at Liverpool. Is he better than Jose Enrique?

I'd urge caution on this one. 

Yes, he seems streets ahead of Luna and Bennett already.  

But he wouldn't be the first player to have a promising debut and then fade.  After seeing Scott Carson in his first few game for the club, I'ds have been quite happy at the prospect of him being between the sticks for the next decade.  Then he had that 'mare against Croatia on England duty, and his confidence was shot.

The point being, we have time to assess this one.  Naturally the player (and his parent club) do too.  But if he can maintain the form he has shown initially, it will be a big bonus to us for the remainder of the campaign.  It closes off a very obvious weak area that opposition of all shapes and sizes were exploiting again and again.

• Like 1

no brainer for him or chelsea... gives him a shop window to show his talents for the rest of the season, with a view to either forcing his way into the first team, or to attract bids for an upcoming english talented left back, as opposed to someone with 10 premier league appearances...

great short term fix for us, and on the basis of saturday, certainly appears to have the potential to be a key performer for us, but not sure that we should kid ourselves that getting him in on loan shows anything serious about our ability to secure players of this nature on a permanent basis within our pay structure...

notwithstanding, great bit of business by PL - well done, and welcome to the mighty villa, ryan...

There was a bit against Liverpool where Sterling knocked it past him and beat him for pace. Bertrand sprinted and got back the yard or two he'd lost, Stepped over the ball and eased Sterling out of the way.

He didn't actually touch the ball. Just used his feet and his body to shield it.

He then waltzed out of defence and played a pass.

Great defending. I audibly spoke "he's a player". I was alone.

• Like 2

it was so nice not having to worry that we're going to concede every time the opposition attacks down their right

I was trying to remember when was the last time this was the case, when we had Fat Freddie Bouma?

There was a bit against Liverpool where Sterling knocked it past him and beat him for pace. Bertrand sprinted and got back the yard or two he'd lost, Stepped over the ball and eased Sterling out of the way.

He didn't actually touch the ball. Just used his feet and his body to shield it.

He then waltzed out of defence and played a pass.

Great defending. I audibly spoke "he's a player". I was alone.

I remember that well.

He is certainly a different class of full back compared to the dross we've been served over the past 3 seasons (minimum). He will be caught your positionally at times, he's forward thinking, but he has the pace and awareness to get himself out of it.

He's basically Luna but much much better. There will be the odd scream from Culverhouse along the lines of "where the **** are you going", but more often than not it will be because the players around and particularly in front of him aren't good enough to pick him out or cover him.

If he plays like that every week we'll want to keep him no doubt.

Ill be disappointed if we haven't got some kind of buying clause in the contract. This was all a bit vague when he signed up.

Mourinho seemed quite keen to point out he was still their player, but he needed game time. Cole is 33 too, on big wages and a contract that runs out in June.

I think he'll be back at Chelsea competing with Azpilicueta (unless he plays RB) for a starting spot next season.

Â