Grant Holt

samjp26

So we are loaning an out of form, over paid, Championship striker.

I really doubt we're paying Holt more than a few grand - he's hardly on huge money at Wigan

I think Holt signed a pretty big 3 year deal at Norwich in summer 2012, when people were going on about him making an England squad. So after that season, I doubt he moved to Wigan on a few grand a week. I'd expect him to be on significantly more than the likes of Bowery and Helenius. 

I really doubt we're paying Holt more than a few grand - he's hardly on huge money at Wigan

Wigans highest paid player according to their Forum!! 

I wonder whether Dave Whelan will be paying half of his considerable wages if he signs on loan? That would be a first!

You'd be surprised.

He signed a 3 year deal on the back of Norwich's good first year in the Prem under Lambert. That was, if I remember correctly, post him threatening to hand in a transfer request because he wanted to move to a bigger club. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18695219)

Wigan will have to have offered him a deal nearly as lucrative (if not equally so) for him to drop down a division. Coyle took him there as a marquee signing to play the Kevin Davies role that he so heavily relied on during his stint at Bolton. Terrible manager who did a terrible job at Wigan with this being one of his biggest errors.

though not of same quality these comments remind me of Robbie Keane thread 2 years ago

Not even remotely of the same quality, so your point is irrelevant. 

I think the point was that people weren't too chuffed when we got Robbie Keane, saying he was over the hill and another Pires-type signing at the time.

Well then IF we're paying out that kind of money for him on loan, which would make him one of our  better paid players, the manager definitely has a lot to answer to, as well as the owner. How come we can get that kind of wage sanctioned for Holt on loan, but seemingly not for anyone else?

Meanwhile Hull look to sign Shane Long and Nikica Jelavic

For their first team, so they can build with these players.

Ours is a 4 month loan for back-up.  There's no context to your post.

So because it isnt exactly the same it has no context?

I'm well aware of the differences, I'm also well aware that Hull have just improved their side, while we have signed a proper bloke, who is cover for a television mast who is currently edging legend status after three tap ins and a broken leg.

As others have said I'll support the guy on the pitch but no matter how people spin it its just not a good signing and why? Because he isn't the player he was and he now struggles with fitness and also struggles getting into a mid-table Championship side. Midfield players at Wigan have been preferred up front to him.

While we send the likes of Jordan Graham back out on loan we bring in this guy.

Its ok though he'll knock some defenders about and cause havoc. Is this the 1980's?

What other good team plays with a slow battering ram of little skill?

f***i*g hoof

• Like 1

But this manager would rather get Robbie Keane in. Frimpong could have been got for half the wages and no loan fee. What a **** joke

Lol Keane. Just like Jenas. Pointless

And why the **** werent we in for Frimpong?? Exactly what we are missing in the middle. Full of running, gets stuck in and gets things moving. But we sign Keaneinstead. On twice the **** wages. Outrageous.

Its bad enough having one pensioner off the friggin pace, we now have Petrov and bloody keane

Hmmm Neither are shit but Keane is a useless old has been. Don't believe me? Well just sit back and watch. 

Quick search to show what people thought of the Robbie Keane signing at the time.

• Like 3

I'm well aware of the differences, I'm also well aware that Hull have just improved their side, while we have signed a proper bloke, who is cover for a television mast who is currently edging legend status after three tap ins and a broken leg.

If we were signing GH on a permanent basis to be a part of the team going forward, I'd agree with you, but we haven't.

He's costing very little to replace the injured Kozak for the rest of the season.

Hull have brought those two in for a different reason.

........... :snip:

If we were signing GH on a permanent basis to be a part of the team going forward, I'd agree with you, but we haven't.

He's costing very little to replace the injured Kozak for the rest of the season.

OK so in respect to how much he will cost, wages? loan fee? etc - Again who will he replace in the squad? What is the thinking and justification for this signing?

I appreciate your stance on Lambert but even you must be thinking this is strange especially given the state of the club and who / what we have here at the moment?

How do we know he's costing nothing? We don't know if there's a loan fee yet and some believe he's on a contract of around 28k-30k a week at Wigan, who matched Norwich's deal the year before.

Seems like no coincidence to me that this deal will go through now as Ireland's just sealed his permanent move to Stoke. 
  • Like 3

........... :snip:

OK so in respect to how much he will cost, wages? loan fee? etc - Again who will he replace in the squad? What is the thinking and justification for this signing?

I appreciate your stance on Lambert but even you must be thinking this is strange especially given the state of the club and who / what we have here at the moment?

Kozak.

I did think it was a strange one at first, but to ably stand-in for Kozak for the rest of this season, as well as adding a bit of savvy to the likes of Helenius (and others that will be part of the future) I fail to see the harm.

Add Kozak not been injured we wouldn't be debating GH. I guess the opinion rests on whether one believes Kozak was a useful squad member. As joint top scorer prior to last night's game, I did - therefore he needed replacing.

If we're chasing a game, or defending a lead, I'd rather bring GH on than Bowery at this stage. Helenius will get his call, but both he, his agent and PL have said he's adjusting. Having GH around - someone that may not be blessed by the footballing gods, yet managed to score 23 goals in the premier league in 2 seasons, can only help him along too.

Not jumping for joy, but I fail to see anything to get worked up about here.  I guess my opinion that he won't come in at the expense of any other target is helping me along too - but that is pure guesswork on my part.

• Like 3

Â