• Clark
    • Lowton
    • Bacuna
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Albrighton
    • Weimann
    • Helenius

This thread was created a bit late, plenty of people have been venting in the main match thread, and in the Lambert should quit thread.

I don't think there's a lot of apathy. Disappointment and anger, not apathy.

• Like 1

I don't know what excuses can be put forward for getting so well beaten at home by League 1 strugglers.

Not gutted to be out of the cup, but gutted by the way we whimpered out of it and the fact that Lambert didn't give our squad players a chance.

Would rather of went out with our yoyrg team players being blooded. But no we go out with the same shite from Weimann, Westwood, Luna, Lowton, Tonev and Bacuna.

Sickened that he couldn't give our own young lads a chance. They could not have done any worse.

F**k you Lambert for constantly serving up such a pile of crap to our loyal fans.

• Like 1

Darren, I think I was at the same game as you and was going to write something pretty similar.

I probably wouldn't have included this though:

Benteke got double or triple penetrated all the time. 

Ouch.

He may as well have been, the ref still wouldn't have given any free kicks his way.

Oh and congratulations to Sheffield United who took the opportunity available to them and deserve to be in the hat for the next round. Their support was excellent even though their dream day out was our crappy day to day existence.

• Like 4

This was a great chance to either rest a lot of players or hammer lower league opposition to maintain some momentum. Lambert has made a right pigs breakfast of this match in so many ways, but those players really need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

• Like 1

Decided to go to this because of the cheap tickets. Wish I hadn't. I was also at the Bradford exit last season when their fans invaded the pitch and it looked like the same thing would happen again today.

We started slowly like we always do. I put this specifically down to fear and lack of confidence. We try to keep it tight and not give anything away early but in actual fact it ends up doing the opposite, we're not fluid and can't take the game to the opposition from the start, setting the tone for the game. So we're always on the back foot and it takes conceding a goal and needing something to chase to drive us on.

We had complete control of the ball, Westwood and especially Delph were controlling the midfield comfortably, and Albrighton looked busy on the wing. Then they got the ball in a dangerous area, had a speculative shot, big deflection and we're 1-0 down.

I chuckled at that point because I knew we would be able to come back but all that happened is the players tightened up and went for the ball up to Benteke which seldom worked. From there there was no real rhythm or cohesion with the players and lots of misunderstandings and misplaced passes just caused further frustration.

The pattern of play when we did keep on the floor was for the back 4 to pass it between themselves, then Westwood or Delph would come deep to pick it up, but then there was a massive gap so they couldn't go any further, they had to go back to the defence and go around the back again to try and get it wide. It really highlighted the desperate need for an AM. Tonev was supposed to be that player I'm sure but he's failed to impress so far. Weimann may have been playing that position but was awful today.

Benteke got double or triple penetrated all the time. For a big man he's not got a lot of strength. When he does try to give as good as he gets, he seems to give away a foul instead.

Obviously Lambert was trying to silence his FA cup importance honesty critics by fielding his best team but the irony is, the reserves probably would have played with more freedom, less fear, more expression, and better shape than trying to squeeze the 11 best available players in. I thought today really needed Gardner linking the 2 DMs with Benteke. Lambert took a gamble and it's backfired.

That's 2 mistakes I can say I feel qualified to criticise him for since he's been here. Panicking playing Bradford at home and putting 4 CFs within 5 yards of each other, and now today going for his most senior players rather than players who could play a system to beat the other team.

Finally, once we scored we then looked very dangerous and it was obvious we were going to go and get another 1 or 2. They cleared the ball upfield, then the ref gave them a free-kick against Weimann for absolutely nothing. They scored almost directly from it with admittedly a superbly hit strike.

I'm getting a bit sick of watching us whimper out of cups to lower league opposition at Villa Park. It happens to everyone but twice in 2 seasons with the same faults is inexcusable. Though another day we would have got the lead then cruised to an easy victory. But we didn't.

Worth popping in just for this post. Great contribution.

• Like 2

Go now Paul sick of this lousy attempt of being a manager

Give hoddle the job knows how to play football and used to working with younger players and he knows different formations

Good lord no!  Tell me one good job Hoddle has done as a manager?  He was one of those guys that kept getting employed on the basis he was a good player.

• Like 1

Most obvious outcome of a game of football i can remember...So obvious we would lamely lose this that i have only now at 9:13 pm bothered to come on here and check the result and read up on what happened... As for going today :/  Not a chance. Why would i go and pay good money when pre game our gaffer has said he would rather we weren't in the competition basically? coupled with that we are absolutely clueless as a home side even against a very average Championship team. I honestly think we are the worst home team easily in the Premier League and possibly even in the top 2 divisions.

Another utterly disappointing day to be a Villa fan.

What can we say after that?

Decided not to go today and watch the Arsenal v Spurs game instead.

Bradford, Millwall and Sheff under Lambert in last 12 months.

You only need to extend that time period by a couple of weeks and you can include a club record defeat at the hands of Chelsea too! 

• Like 1

Â