• Clark
    • Lowton
    • Bacuna
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Albrighton
    • Weimann
    • Helenius

from those highlights we certainly had our chances to either draw or win the game - was surprised at how easy we gave the ball away though (esp by Delph - who was also at fault for their 2nd goal - which was a bit of a hit and hope that happened to fly in)

For all of his supposed faults, Paul Lambert cannot run around on the pitch helping the players pass the ball to one another - once the whistle goes and the game begins, its down to the players to do their jobs. The poor passing yesterday wasn't down to Lambert, it was down to those individuals.

I'd be more depressed if we hadn't had created as many chances as we actually did. Benteke could've had 3 (2 headers from good Albrighton deliveries and a shot played through by Helenius), Weimann could've done better too.

Sheff Utd, turned up and took their chances well (in that I mean a deflected shot and a 'wonder' strike).

It's never nice going out to lower opposition - I just hope the players kick themselves up the arse for the next match.

#gash

Ok, so before the game I said we should field a team of fringe players to give them game time and prepare to loose as the cup is a distraction.

I didn't think for a minute that we'd field almost a full strength side, minus one or two, and only have two shots on target.

We can now focus on the premiership granted, but it the manor in which we lost yesterday which does not sit well with me.

#wheredowegofromhere

Decided to go to this because of the cheap tickets. Wish I hadn't. I was also at the Bradford exit last season when their fans invaded the pitch and it looked like the same thing would happen again today.

We started slowly like we always do. I put this specifically down to fear and lack of confidence. We try to keep it tight and not give anything away early but in actual fact it ends up doing the opposite, we're not fluid and can't take the game to the opposition from the start, setting the tone for the game. So we're always on the back foot and it takes conceding a goal and needing something to chase to drive us on.

We had complete control of the ball, Westwood and especially Delph were controlling the midfield comfortably, and Albrighton looked busy on the wing. Then they got the ball in a dangerous area, had a speculative shot, big deflection and we're 1-0 down.

I chuckled at that point because I knew we would be able to come back but all that happened is the players tightened up and went for the ball up to Benteke which seldom worked. From there there was no real rhythm or cohesion with the players and lots of misunderstandings and misplaced passes just caused further frustration.

The pattern of play when we did keep on the floor was for the back 4 to pass it between themselves, then Westwood or Delph would come deep to pick it up, but then there was a massive gap so they couldn't go any further, they had to go back to the defence and go around the back again to try and get it wide. It really highlighted the desperate need for an AM. Tonev was supposed to be that player I'm sure but he's failed to impress so far. Weimann may have been playing that position but was awful today.

Benteke got double or triple penetrated all the time. For a big man he's not got a lot of strength. When he does try to give as good as he gets, he seems to give away a foul instead.

Obviously Lambert was trying to silence his FA cup importance honesty critics by fielding his best team but the irony is, the reserves probably would have played with more freedom, less fear, more expression, and better shape than trying to squeeze the 11 best available players in. I thought today really needed Gardner linking the 2 DMs with Benteke. Lambert took a gamble and it's backfired.

That's 2 mistakes I can say I feel qualified to criticise him for since he's been here. Panicking playing Bradford at home and putting 4 CFs within 5 yards of each other, and now today going for his most senior players rather than players who could play a system to beat the other team.

Finally, once we scored we then looked very dangerous and it was obvious we were going to go and get another 1 or 2. They cleared the ball upfield, then the ref gave them a free-kick against Weimann for absolutely nothing. They scored almost directly from it with admittedly a superbly hit strike.

I'm getting a bit sick of watching us whimper out of cups to lower league opposition at Villa Park. It happens to everyone but twice in 2 seasons with the same faults is inexcusable. Though another day we would have got the lead then cruised to an easy victory. But we didn't.

Great post and sums it up perfectly

Also love the triple penetration comment. My mind is all over the place now.

My match summary would be a bit more succinct / uncouth.

Truly, truly wank.

Fair one..... Thought for a minute there may have been some passion and some sign of players/managers/staff... Tea ladies caring how poor this club is

Yet when Culverhouse let his emotions get the better of him the other week he was the subject of a witch hunt on here? Can't have it both ways

I actually defended Lambert's comments about the FA Cup before yesterday's game. Comments that suggested we'd maybe see youngsters like Gary Gardener finally given a go. And then what does he go and do.. completely hang himself out to dry by playing a near enough first-team, and still managing to lose to a struggling League One side.

Is Lambert idiotic, taking the mickey or just thick as pig shit?? I can't quite work it out. And now any momentum we might have gained through the Sunderland win is just a distant memory, with four really tough Premier League games approaching.

I think it speaks volumes that arguably our best player yesterday, Helenius, was signed by the manager in the summer but has rarely featured presumably because Lambert has been disappointed with what he's seen from him in training etc. And yet, when he came on, we finally had some link-up play for Benteke, somebody who could hold the ball up and a player who is not afraid to actually attack a cross from a corner. The fact Helenius impressed so much was partly down to him playing well and partly down to the rest of his team-mates just being so poor and that is so depressing.

There were about 18,000 Villa fans in attendance and the sense of apathy around the Club is now deafening. A manager under any other owner would surely have got the sack by now? We are beyond dire almost every week and I'll be really surprised if we stay up this season. Yet again I came away from Villa Park kicking myself for being stupid enough to go, when the result and performance was oh so predictable. That was Sheffield United's first win at Villa Park in 48 years and they deserved their day... another impressive record shot to pieces under Paul Lambert...

• Like 3

....just watching the sad attempt by Lowton to cut out the first goal leaves me speechless.

on a seperate note as bold as brass, he reports getting his foot stuck in a seat and nearly breaking his leg during a cup tie watching his beloved Chesterfield whilst celebrating a goal....couldn't be gate crashing a SAS assault course in an effort to get fit for Aston Villa, that nearly breaks a leg could it?.....look I know I'm being a  bit cynical, but it seems to me something ain't right down there. 

I actually defended Lambert's comments about the FA Cup before yesterday's game. Comments that suggested we'd maybe see youngsters like Gary Gardener finally given a go. And then what does he go and do.. completely hang himself out to dry by playing a near enough first-team, and still managing to lose to a struggling League One side.

Is Lambert idiotic, taking the mickey or just thick as pig shit?? I can't quite work it out. And now any momentum we might have gained through the Sunderland win is just a distant memory, with four really tough Premier League games approaching.

I think it speaks volumes that arguably our best player yesterday, Helenius, was signed by the manager in the summer but has rarely featured presumably because Lambert has been disappointed with what he's seen from him in training etc. And yet, when he came on, we finally had some link-up play for Benteke, somebody who could hold the ball up and a player who is not afraid to actually attack a cross from a corner. The fact Helenius impressed so much was partly down to him playing well and partly down to the rest of his team-mates just being so poor and that is so depressing.

There were about 18,000 Villa fans in attendance and the sense of apathy around the Club is now deafening. A manager under any other owner would surely have got the sack by now? We are beyond dire almost every week and I'll be really surprised if we stay up this season. Yet again I came away from Villa Park kicking myself for being stupid enough to go, when the result and performance was oh so predictable. That was Sheffield United's first win at Villa Park in 48 years and they deserved their day... another impressive record shot to pieces under Paul Lambert...

I think I already know the answer.

Culverhouse is a massive clearing in the woods. By all accounts it's not the first time he's had verbals with the supporters. Bloke seems not only a shit coach but also a massive bell end.

Good point ..... I don't know enough facts on the Culverhouse incident to comment

....just watching the sad attempt by Lowton to cut out the first goal leaves me speechless.

on a seperate note as bold as brass, he reports getting his foot stuck in a seat and nearly breaking his leg during a cup tie watching his beloved Chesterfield whilst celebrating a goal....couldn't be gate crashing a SAS assault course in an effort to get fit for Aston Villa, that nearly breaks a leg could it?.....look I know I'm being a  bit cynical, but it seems to me something ain't right down there. 

Who got their foot stuck in a seat?

Â