Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

Anyone supporting Ellis needs to brush up on the history of Aston Villa.

Ellis was an unmitigated disaster for this club. When we had the chance to stay up there at the top he would not spend the money. The clubs money, by the way, not his.

He only ever took from this club.

If money had been spent at the right time we would, in my opinion, have been up there with Manchester United and Liverpool and possibly would still be so now, and he is solely responsible for our decline.

I feel most strongly that history should not be re-written by our younger fans, who can have no conception of the damage caused to our club by his tenure. 

I'd class myself as a "younger fan" and I feel the same way as you do. I agree though that it is a shame that some are trying to rewrite history, but I don't think it's exclusive to younger fans.

Ironically my 51 year old Dad who is also a Villa fan actually likes Ellis and always goes on about how he "kept us in the black".

Edited by Mantis

Bloody hell, a blast from the past. Hope you're well Naz.

Hi Buddy - Yep I'm ok -been through a bit of a rough time (custody battle for my youngest daughter amongst other things). Don't post much cos some of the over reactions to a defeat/win yada yada yada gets on my wick. People have very short memories and lack patience from my days.

Wonder what they would have done if internet was around when we were bust and relegated to the old Div 3 and when Ron Saunders was manager - even then some wanted him gone after 1 season!

Hope you are ok too buddy!

• Like 2

Things weren't much better in the old H&V days. Though at least we all had a common cause then, one which some contributors to this thread have either forgotten or don't know of.

I'm in North London now. Used to live south east, Blackheath.

Very true - as I said very short memories and a lack of patience (which we had to have a lot of pre Sky and Premier League).Sad days for both sides with their respective points of view.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Not sure if this is true, but after Deadly left us in 1979 and then we won the First division title in 1981 and the European Cup 1982, when he returned back as Chairman in 1983(?) he had all the pictures of the team photos of that time at Villa Park taken down...

Perhaps when he is gone AVFC should conduct a poll to look at renaming "his" stand to a more deserving individual...

All the best

Del

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Not sure if this is true, but after Deadly left us in 1979 and then we won the First division title in 1981 and the European Cup 1982, when he returned back as Chairman in 1983(?) he had all the pictures of the team photos of that time at Villa Park taken down...

Perhaps when he is gone AVFC should conduct a poll to look at renaming "his" stand to a more deserving individual...

All the best

Del

Thats the rumour. I believe Dennis Mortimer has confirmed that that actually did happen. 

On 1/6/2014 at 20:21, nazvfc said:

Hi Buddy - Yep I'm ok -been through a bit of a rough time (custody battle for my youngest daughter amongst other things). Don't post much cos some of the over reactions to a defeat/win yada yada yada gets on my wick. People have very short memories and lack patience from my days.

Wonder what they would have done if internet was around when we were bust and relegated to the old Div 3 and when Ron Saunders was manager - even then some wanted him gone after 1 season!

Hope you are ok too buddy!

Naz!  Another refugee from the mailing list days :)  

One season with Saunders?  Didnt he take us up back to Div 1 and win the League Cup that first Season?  I thought it was around 78/79 people started grumbling as they didnt understand he was rebuilding the team from the 77 Gray era.  People couldnt see past selling Gidman and Gray, where he built a solid team instead of a group of great players.

5 hours ago, delboy54 said:

All the best

Del

Yep

no doubt discussed in this thread already but when I went to an evening with the 82 team they properly **** hate him, it wasn't Mortimer that I saw but they confirmed what you're saying, not only the pictures etc being taken down but they felt that Doug didn't like them being around the club, selling them and trying to do it better his way, almost resenting the success that came whilst he wasn't there

its not that he didn't invest properly in the 90s when we had the chance to reach the top...it's the fact that when we were at the top he ruined us due to his own personal bitterness and arrogance 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

no doubt discussed in this thread already but when I went to an evening with the 82 team they properly **** hate him, it wasn't Mortimer that I saw but they confirmed what you're saying, not only the pictures etc being taken down but they felt that Doug didn't like them being around the club, selling them and trying to do it better his way, almost resenting the success that came whilst he wasn't there

its not that he didn't invest properly in the 90s when we had the chance to reach the top...it's the fact that when we were at the top he ruined us due to his own personal bitterness and arrogance 

Well yes but on the other hand Andy Gray and Sir Brian like him so its swings and roundabouts in my view. 

8 hours ago, av1 said:

94 today. He's having a good innings.

Does he still come to the games?

Saw a pre match video early last season of the teams arriving and he looked very frail but he's still with us.

Wonder if he'll outlive the Queen?!

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Saw a pre match video early last season of the teams arriving and he looked very frail but he's still with us.

yes he still comes to the games but as you say, he is now very frail. 94, a pretty good innings, fair play i say.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He does yes. I went to a pre match event at the corner flag restaurant before tbe Millwall game (OT but those are free to ST holders via the rewards scheme, its well worth it for those that haven't done it yet), and i saw him turn up for the game. 

He looked very frail and had 2 aides helping him walk. 

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can't believe I read a whole page until I realised the thread started 4 years ago. 

He's been on my Deadpool list since before this article was published and he's still here 

Fair play he's probably in better condition than Iam

• Like 1

Â