Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

Last two years were as bad if not worse than the final year under Doug. And we owe the owner a shit load of money for it.

really? we couldnt afford a masseuse or Eirik Bakke. Its bad now but im sure club could afford either now

I also believe Doug did not want to pay for plane tickets for the players in a pre-season once, or did I dream about that?

No you did not. But hey, at least he didn't spend money we didn't have...

• Like 1

I always said that, when this individual "turns his toes up" that I would not stand in a minute's silence for him.

As i have no axe to grind with his family, on the day of the silence I intend to arrive at my seat at two minutes past 3 (or equivalent)

Judging by this thread, there will be a few such empty seats, come the day.

• Like 2

I can understand older fans than me who experienced worse really hating him but my only experience of villa are the premiership years. And to me they were pretty good and enjoyable times. Like I said the last two years were worse for me than any I experienced under Doug.

Looked on great form with Nick. Postively regal. As for all this bitter talk about him yes he should have sold up around 2000 and yes he messed up in the mid 1980s, but under Doug we randomly challenged for the title, won 2 league cups, redeveloped the stadium (though should have kept the  trinity road stand), promoted the youth set up, didn't become a Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday, and played in Europe a fair few times. So what did Ellis do for us?

Edited by The Fun Factory

Last two years were as bad if not worse than the final year under Doug. And we owe the owner a shit load of money for it.

thats the problem with Doug, people will always say yeah he didnt spend the money when he should of done and didnt support the managers and let us rot because he was tight blah blah blah

he sold the **** european cup winning team because he was bitter and jealous about not being chairman when we won it!

the stagnation during the prem years stuff was just salt in the wounds

• Like 3

Looked on great form with Nick. Postively regal. As for all this bitter talk about him yes he should have sold up around 2000 and yes he messed up in the mid 1980s, but under Doug we randomly challenged for the title, won 2 league cups, redeveloped the stadium (though should have kept the  trinity road stand), promoted the youth set up, didn't become a Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday, and played in Europe a fair few times. So what did Ellis do for us?

Breaking up a team that won the League and European Cup in consecutive seasons that lead to relegation 5 seasons later is unacceptable.

Naming a **** stand after himself.

The refusal to spend that little bit more when were so close to the top of English football in the 90's.

So, what did Doug do right?

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 3

He had no prior knowledge of that occurring. Not only that but we have a stand named after a scouser.  :angry:  ;)  Sorry Morley and Withe, you two both deserve that accolade.

He had no prior knowledge of that occurring. Not only that but we have a stand named after a scouser.  :angry:  ;)  Sorry Morley and Withe, you two both deserve that accolade.

He is not a Scouser, he was born in Chester and brought up in Southport. He was an Everton fan (that info I got from an old Everton fan who remembers him) but not a Scouser.

• Like 1

Not to mention Bodymoor heath was falling apart and he refused to spend the money to complete the new training facility which thankfully Lerner came in and completed.

Refusal to pay for club flights on pre-season tours, a masseur and food and drink claimed on expenses by club employees while on official club business.

The demolition of the old Trinity road.

There is many more than I just cannot be bothered to write.

• Like 3

Rename the Doug Ellis Stand after Randy Lerner. Randy>Doug

It's like having to choose whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the throat.

Edited by Davkaus

Â