Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

I can understand older fans than me who experienced worse really hating him but my only experience of villa are the premiership years. And to me they were pretty good and enjoyable times. Like I said the last two years were worse for me than any I experienced under Doug.[/quote

Mine were not, his royal highness HDE was a prick of the highest order. Everything that AVFC ever did was a vehicle for Dougie boy to ingratiate himself with the great and good of the FA and eventually UEFA.

He dismantled a team that won the European Cup, and oversaw the relegation of the morons he got to replace them - even now on the BBC at 90 years of age he insists on telling us all on how 'he spent £120m and still the fans abused him'.

Good enough for the daft old fecker - I won't be missing him, no matter how bad fans think the current regime are, we're better off without this clown........stand by now for league position quotes from 1982-2006 inclusive....

Exactly....having heard HDE speak at a couple of functions his view of history and the actual history are somewhat different.

I have also never met someone more obsessed with promoting himself. A few years ago I went to a dinner at B'ham Uni to celebrate 150 years of the BIrmingham Post. It was a big do, not sure why I was there!, but Doug parked his Roller/Bentley next to the entrance and sat in it for about half an hour in full view of everyone arriving including the current PM and then made a dramatic late entrance when everyone had sat down.

Villa was all about his ego, nothing else. As long as he had a seat at the top table that was sufficient for him.

• Like 2

Naming a **** stand after himself.

He had no prior knowledge of that occurring. Not only that but we have a stand named after a scouser.  :angry:  ;)  Sorry Morley and Withe, you two both deserve that accolade.

He is not a Scouser, he was born in Chester and brought up in Southport. He was an Everton fan (that info I got from an old Everton fan who remembers him) but not a Scouser.

Correct. Tut tut, plastic scouser even worst.  ;)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Rename the Doug Ellis Stand after Randy Lerner. Randy>Doug

It's like having to choose whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the throat.

I really don't get these kind of comments. Whatever level of bad you think Lerner's on, Ellis is a level up on that.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

It's like having to choose whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the throat.

I really don't get these kind of comments. Whatever level of bad you think Lerner's on, Ellis is a level up on that.

So you have to like lerner because Doug was bad? I think its perfectly reasonable to dislike both of them.

So you have to like lerner because Doug was bad? I think its perfectly reasonable to dislike both of them.

Please don't put words into my mouth. That isn't what I said at all.

• Like 2

So its OK to hate both? Not sure why you picked up on his post then.

Because one is fundamentally worse than the other and if the worst one needs pointing out to you, then you've been taught history by Michael Gove. It doesn't mean the other one is any good

• Like 2

As Bickster said, one is clearly worse than the other. I couldn't care less how much somebody hates Lerner but acting as if they're both as bad is just wrong.

There won't be any minutes applause tomorrow.

Like him or not but a massive figure in our history just like Ron Noades was for Palace. I would like to think there would be a respectful send off at VP when the time eventually comes but maybe not judging by this thread.

Like him or not but a massive figure in our history just like Ron Noades was for Palace. I would like to think there would be a respectful send off at VP when the time eventually comes but maybe not judging by this thread.

Be more like Robert Maxwell's send off at Derby imo

• Like 1

redeveloped the stadium (though should have kept the  trinity road stand), 

Vandalism! Also, didn't part of the Witton Lane (still refuse to call it by is name) have to be rebuild, because they used asbestos? 

Yet another thread that you want to turn into a Randy Lerner thread.

Setting aside abilities as chairman/owner, the points being made about Doug Ellis are about his character, the kind of person that he is, and his attitude to his fellow human beings, particularly those that he believes are 'beneath' him, which accounts for just about everyone.

Randy Lerner, whatever his failings or not as a sports team owner, is pretty well known as a gentleman, who shows absolute respect to traditions, institutions, and to his fellow human beings.

If you don't believe me, try asking some people who worked at the Villa under Ellis and subsequently under Lerner. They will tell you how different it is.

• Like 4

I have it on good authority that when we won promotion at the first attempt under Graham Taylor in 1988 the players were treated to a celebratory all expenses paid night out by Ellis & were invited to eat & drink as much as they actually wanted.

Only at the end of the month did they see that the tight fisted old skinflint had actually deducted the cost of the whole function  from their individual  wage packets.

Yes. That's right. They paid for the whole thing themselves.

Rumour has it too that Doug Ellis would search the Villa Park terraces for 1p after every game. Regretfully, this discovery was very reluctantly handed to Graham Turner as his total transfer budget for the whole season. Ellis still weeps to this day at parting with those  fifteen pennies.

Apparently he would hold a penny so tight it would squeal.

If he was still Chairman today (God forbid) then the suggestion is that, at the kick off, simply tape a 1p coin to the ball & put Ellis in goal. There is no way on this earth that Ellis wouldn't stop a shot going past him in those circumstances......................not even one from a bicycle kick ;)

Doug Elis set this club back 30 Years.....................................Fact.

• Like 2

Unfortunately there probably will be.

When his mail order knighthood arrived in the post it was New Year's Day fixture against (I think) Swansea. Anyway, it was one of my corporate games that season and he was making his normal walk through the 82 restaurant to receive his free lunch in the director's lounge.

One of my guests mischievously asked whether I was going to shake his hand and congratulate him, to which I replied "I am surprised that some of the sycophantic bastards in here haven't started clapping him". At that very moment the room broke out into (sycophantic) applause.

I sat on my hands.

So when he makes that walk............

Â