Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

When Lerner took over, didn't he pay out to have some of the cheapo redevelopment work done properly?

I think (allegedly) that DE put the main contractor of the Trinity Road Stand out of business by being such a slow payer of invoices.

His excuse and I heard it from his mouth for completely rebuilding the Trinity Road Stand that despite its brick exterior it was basically made of wood and therefore post Bradford a fire hazard.

So basically everyone wants Big Doug back?

Just Big John 10 as far as I can see:)

If he was a younger man I'd have him back in a heartbeat over Lerner. Ellis was far from perfect and we had bad times under him as well, but at least our poor times were short. We'd have a bad season but Ellis would act on it, sack the manager and invest the next season and we'd always improve. Under Lerner we've done nothing but go backwards for the last 4 years and now we're just happy to survive in the Premier. What happened to our ambition? This is the worst Villa squad I've ever seen in my life. This is Randy Lerner's Aston Villa. An absolute embarrassment to the claret and blue.

When Lerner took over, didn't he pay out to have some of the cheapo redevelopment work done properly?

I think (allegedly) that DE put the main contractor of the Trinity Road Stand out of business by being such a slow payer of invoices.

His excuse and I heard it from his mouth for completely rebuilding the Trinity Road Stand that despite its brick exterior it was basically made of wood and therefore post Bradford a fire hazard.

Just to balance things out though, he gave us the new Holte End, which is a fantastic stand. One of if not the best behind goal stand in Europe.

Looked on great form with Nick. Postively regal. As for all this bitter talk about him yes he should have sold up around 2000 and yes he messed up in the mid 1980s, but under Doug we randomly challenged for the title, won 2 league cups, redeveloped the stadium (though should have kept the  trinity road stand), promoted the youth set up, didn't become a Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday, and played in Europe a fair few times. So what did Ellis do for us?[/quote

Which bit of my post regarding dismantling a team that won the league and european cup, and getting us relegated did you miss. As for redeveloping the stadium, I'll think you find Lord Justice Taylor took care of most of that - good old HDE, the inventor of the bicycle kick and Our first Director of Football - give me fookin strength......

I mentioned he messed up in the mid 80s. It was a total cock up, no doubt. But he brought in Taylor and Villa in the 1990's bar a odd bad year, a good side. Much better than this lot today. All this talk when Ellis sold up that he was dragging Villa back and once a new owner came in would be a footballing powerhouse again. I am still waiting. Ellis also  bought up the land around the stadium making the somewhat haphazard redevelopment to take place. I would say on the whole he did more postive than negative as chairman of Villa, and at 90 I think he should be given some fair dos for still watching us.Unlike some certain chairman who can't be bothered.....

Football has changed a lot, even in the past 8 years or so. People talk about how bad we're supposedly doing now* under Lerner but what's to say things would better under Ellis?

*Before I get jumped on and have words put into my mouth, no I don't think things are great at the moment.

Some people will never understand how those of us who witnessed our winning the League and European Cup absolutely despised & detested ellis. This really isn't a Lerner v Ellis debate.

I disliked him from the very first day he walked into the club, as did eventually most, if not all of his fellow directors. They ousted him in 1972 only for the money man; Pat Matthews to engineer his return. He was then ousted again from the chairmanship by his fellow directors in 1975 as he didn't see eye to eye with Saunders who the other directors were backing. People need to understand that had Ellis been in charge 1975-1982, Saunders would have been gone as would our chances of winning such high honours. When he returned it was one of the most depressing days of my life.

I had the misfortune of meeting Mr. Aston Villa as he liked to be called, on a number of occasions. I always sensed from his demeanour & comments that he considered the "men on the terraces" of Aston Villa to be nobodies and beneath his contempt. As far he was concerned it was his club and we could go **** ourselves.

Nothing he did was ever for the fans or the club - it was only ever about Herbert Douglas Ellis and what he could get out of it. From being the first director to take a salary to engineering a stock market listing of the club which made him a fortune and saw the shares of the ordinary fans plummet by over 75%.

Despite what has happened in the last three years, the day he sold his control of MY club was one of the happiest days of my time as an Aston Villa fan.

Could not have put It better if I tried.

Some people will never understand how those of us who witnessed our winning the League and European Cup absolutely despised & detested ellis. This really isn't a Lerner v Ellis debate.

I disliked him from the very first day he walked into the club, as did eventually most, if not all of his fellow directors. They ousted him in 1972 only for the money man; Pat Matthews to engineer his return. He was then ousted again from the chairmanship by his fellow directors in 1975 as he didn't see eye to eye with Saunders who the other directors were backing. People need to understand that had Ellis been in charge 1975-1982, Saunders would have been gone as would our chances of winning such high honours. When he returned it was one of the most depressing days of my life.

I had the misfortune of meeting Mr. Aston Villa as he liked to be called, on a number of occasions. I always sensed from his demeanour & comments that he considered the "men on the terraces" of Aston Villa to be nobodies and beneath his contempt. As far he was concerned it was his club and we could go **** ourselves.

Nothing he did was ever for the fans or the club - it was only ever about Herbert Douglas Ellis and what he could get out of it. From being the first director to take a salary to engineering a stock market listing of the club which made him a fortune and saw the shares of the ordinary fans plummet by over 75%.

Despite what has happened in the last three years, the day he sold his control of MY club was one of the happiest days of my time as an Aston Villa fan.

My thoughts exactly. You had to be there to know the disaster this man was for our club.Lerner may not be perfect, but at least one senses he has some feelings for the club and its fans. Ellis was only ever interested in himself. When Brian Clough asked Ellis to take himself and Taylor to VP, Ellis replied there was only room for one Mr Aston Villa. The arrogance of the man knew no limits

• Like 2

How would a Holt Ender feel and respond if a chairman built a fence from the front too the back of the stand in an attempt to break the grass roots opposition to him by splitting them in half today ?

Ellis was and is a ****,and always will be

Once upon a time in the eighties, a friend of mine who's an Albion fan came to a reserve game with me. He had to pay a pound to get in. That night he put more or his own money into Aston Villa than Herbert ever has. 

Emeritus my arse.

• Like 2

In an attempt to be more respectful of a human being, and actually display better traits than he is accused of (what does it say about anyone displaying similar and actually worse traits by the way? Regardless of how badly he ran the club), happy birthday.

• Like 1

Â