Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

Sure this will start a little debate BUT it's only three minute video and possibly worth a little watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-25587528

BBC

Aston Villa honorary president Sir Doug Ellis on his 90th
3 hours ago

Aston Villa's honorary president Sir Doug Ellis has looked back on his time at the club on the day of his 90th birthday.

Sir Doug was twice chairman of the Birmingham side, and his departure in September 2006 ended a reign which spanned nearly 40 years.
Knighted in 2011, "Deadly Doug" earned himself a reputation among some fans for being financially cautious.
But demonstrations over the years calling for him to go and late night abuse at his home only made him all the more determined to stay, he told BBC Midlands Today's Nick Owen.

nice guy, bad chairman

He is still going strong though as Im sure he had a serious operation before he resigned as chairman, think was cancer maybe

i assume that as you are in Dublin you have never had the unfortunate circumstance of encountering this person.

Were you ever to do so, you would be aware that he is an odious individual with zero respect for anyone.

A more horrible person you would have to go a long way to meet.

He named a stand after himself, you know!

met him once in Dublin when Villa played here about 10 years ago. seemed a genuine nice guy unlike the prick manager we had at time

The fact I have nostalgia for the Ellis days sums up what we have become under Lerner. At least when we finished in the bottom-half under him we were seen as underachieving. Not so anymore.

I'd like to wish Herbert a happy birthday but there's no doubt we are better off without him as chairman.

I think there might be just a smidgeon of doubt re the above...

:)

not true. We probably would be in League 1 if he was still in charge as 06/07 we were a dead man walking going into that season 

Rename the Doug Ellis Stand after Randy Lerner. Randy>Doug

Haha sarcasm is the lowest form of wit you know. 

I'd much rather be talking about Doug in this year's deadpool thread.

That's a bit strong geezer!! 

nice guy, bad chairman

He is still going strong though as Im sure he had a serious operation before he resigned as chairman, think was cancer maybe

i assume that as you are in Dublin you have never had the unfortunate circumstance of encountering this person.

Were you ever to do so, you would be aware that he is an odious individual with zero respect for anyone.

A more horrible person you would have to go a long way to meet.

He named a stand after himself, you know!

And he hasn't got a fancy private jet either?? Just a big yacht in St Tropez!!

The fact I have nostalgia for the Ellis days sums up what we have become under Lerner. At least when we finished in the bottom-half under him we were seen as underachieving. Not so anymore.

Plus he invented the bicycle kick!!!

Overall he was as sharp as a knife, as tight as a ducks arse and he punked Roman with the handshake. Some fond memories, some bad memories but he always caused an opinion!

Â