Doug Ellis 90th Birthday - BBC

jackbauer24

Rename the Doug Ellis Stand after Randy Lerner. Randy>Doug

It's like having to choose whether you want to be kicked in the balls or punched in the throat.
I really don't get these kind of comments. Whatever level of bad you think Lerner's on, Ellis is a level up on that.
So you have to like lerner because Doug was bad? I think its perfectly reasonable to dislike both of them.
Please don't put words into my mouth. That isn't what I said at all.
So its OK to hate both? Not sure why you picked up on his post then.
Because one is fundamentally worse than the other and if the worst one needs pointing out to you, then you've been taught history by Michael Gove. It doesn't mean the other one is any good

Well like I said my experience of Aston Villa is soley premiership years. And none of them were as bad as the last two. Mainly top half finishes, a couple of cup wins and European games.

I'm not too fussed if Doug was a horrible bloke or that Lerner is meant to be nice. Heskey is known to be a true gent but i didn't want him at the club.

I'm sure Lerner will be thrilled that we continue to abuse Doug while his Aston Villa struggle to compete with most teams in the league.

• Like 1

DEFC are no longer.

praise be to God.

I don't remember us being this bad for so long under Ellis. Perennial relegation battles didn't happen under Ellis but they are the norm under Lerner.

No, but he didn't inherit a League/European Cup team and then sell them off because he couldn't stomach that Villa had enjoyed their best years without him and then relegate them within 5 years.

Yes we have endured some bad years under Lerner but IMO what Ellis did to Aston Villa was worse.

It would be fitting if he called for the Scottish Stand to be re-named The Ron Saunders Stand and offered to add £10m to our transfer window funds from the money he took out of the club on leaving and prior to that on his 90th birthday. But what would be in that for him?? 

Hold on - wasn't Doug chairman when we dropped into the old 3rd divison too?

Any older VTers confirm this?

Had a look on Google and he was plus there was some boardroom unrest at the time but Ellis was reinstated a few weeks later. 

DEFC are no longer.

praise be to God.

I don't remember us being this bad for so long under Ellis. Perennial relegation battles didn't happen under Ellis but they are the norm under Lerner.

Ellis walked in in 1983. He quickly dismantled our European Cup winning side & because of his OTT cost cutting & general miserlyness they had to bring their own drinks to BMH.

It is no coincidence that we were subsequently relegated at the end of 1987.

Doug Ellis is like the original Scrooge character but who still wouldn't reform his ways after the visitation by 3 ghosts.

He would have charged them a fee & then told them to disappear.

Doug Ellis ran Aston Villa for the benefit of Doug Ellis. pure & simple.

The day Ellis sold out was a great day for Aston Villa.

Viva the revolution!

• Like 3

Hold on - wasn't Doug chairman when we dropped into the old 3rd divison too?

Any older VTers confirm this?

Yes the tight fisted old git was. He was also on the board when we won promotion & the League Cup in 1975 & tried to steal the credit for this success from the then Chairman Sir William Dugdale who Ellis was undoubtedly jealous of.

It is no coincidence either that we had our greatest successes during his absence, something that still rankles with his intense ego to this day.

• Like 1

He was also the first chairman to pay himself a salary and twice rejected Brian Clough's interest in taking over as our manager Morley- crosses-to-Withe.

Correct - Brian Clough was often quoted as, "Villa would only have to ask me to manage their Club,"

His ego couldn't really cope with Atkinson or Gregory, there's no way he'd have employed Clough. If he had, it would have beaten Clough's own record at Leeds for shortest tenure

• Like 2

Viva the revolution!

Its looking good at the moment

Spot on.

Aston Villa under Lerner is a pitiful sight. These last few seasons have been an humiliating embarrassment yet some fans still fawn over Lerner like he's some kind of god when in reality he has sat back and watched Villa go from the top 6 to relegation fodder in the blink of an eye. Some of the most humiliating results in our entire history have happend in these last few seasons, yet the best the Lerner lovers can come up with is that "well he's not as bad as Doug".

They're right though, he's not as bad, in fact he's worse.

He was also the first chairman to pay himself a salary and twice rejected Brian Clough's interest in taking over as our manager Morley- crosses-to-Withe.

Correct - Brian Clough was often quoted as, "Villa would only have to ask me to manage their Club,"
His ego couldn't really cope with Atkinson or Gregory, there's no way he'd have employed Clough. If he had, it would have beaten Clough's own record at Leeds for shortest tenure

He employed Atkinson and Gregory, so how did he not cope with their egos?

He employed Atkinson and Gregory, so how did he not cope with their egos?

They were as big as his, Cloughs was actually bigger

Â