Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

HH already said it wasn't Pilkington on page 1 or 2

Nothing about him on either of those pages.

I'm pretty sure Pilkington was the first name someone mentioned, and HH said something along the lines of 'Not the name that's been mentioned already'.

So he would like a fairly experienced player to play in the hole between midfield and attack. He has one in mind who currently plays in the league and won’t cost a great deal. He’d do a decent job without being a complete superstar. He’d make one or two around him better because of the way he plays and what he brings to the team. That wouldn’t be a loan deal but a proper signing. Wages wouldn’t be huge either.

I'm scratching my head trying to think of a cheap 'experienced' number 10 style player to sit between midfield and attack and i'm coming up with some worryingly piss poor names. Benayoun is about the best i've come up with and that's a shocker

Dorrans

Whittingham

Sigurdson

Charlie Adam

.....Benayoun would be half decent for me....

De Bruyne, Sessegnon, Joe Cole, Hoolahan, De Guzman, James Morrison, Sigurdsson, Adam, Whittingham - just to name a few! Whether they'll happen or not is obviously a different story! 

Just say we bring in a loanee, who is considered to be a 'quality' player.

Will it really make that much difference to our team as it stands now.

Just think about it for a sec.

We are so devoid of quality right through the team that a loan signing will struggle to have the impact we would expect him to.

Its obviously not going to be a top,top player, so its going to be someone who cant get into his own team regularly.

Actually, you could put Messi in our team, and he'd still be surrounded with shite like Luna, KEA, Tonev, Baker etc.

We need 3 or 4 quality, experienced players to really make a difference.

Lambert has had time and money to ensure we had SOME experience in the team, but has decided he doesn't need that.

I don't agree. HH has hinted at 2 players, but you could even bring in 1 quality player and it would improve us greatly.

Either a central defender (like Lescott) or an attacking central midfielder (like Sigurdsson) would improve us.

Not only would it give the players a lift and add a bit of quality, but it would take a bit of pressure off players like Clark/ Baker/ Weimann who are slightly struggling and the players will start to feel more confident, knowing they have a better playing infront, or behind, them.

A back four of Luna, Clark, Lescott & Lowton looks good. A forward 3 of Benteke, Gabby and Sigurdsson looks good.

Obviously, these names are just examples, it could be someone from a team in the bottom half, but there are decent players in those teams too.

I have never professed to be a football scout or talent spotter, I leave that to the professionals.

I watch football, I am a spectator, I think I'm pretty good at that and that's where my remit ends...I feel confident of commenting on what I watch on match day....the rest of the club work I would be out of my depth, so my comments are cosmetic, because I simply don't know enough.

I realised along time ago, when Tony Barton spotted Andy Gray, Kenny Swain, Tony Morley, Des Bremner, Allan Evans and many more that just left me gooey eyed after Roy McLaren applied his stuff to them at BMH....not to start speculating on who we should and shouldn't be signing, because I would not have chosen any of them, because I simply knew nothing about them.

Let's leave it to them that SHOULD know.

• Like 4

I hope Randy sanctions what Lambert wants. I think he's done enough to deserve a bit of help to get things moving again and doesn't seem to be asking for the world. I fully understand the 5 year plan and think we've done a lot of good work in a short period of time. When we fill a few holes in the team, a lot of the younger players will find it easier and turn out to be good value for money in the long term. Just hope we can get players in early in the window like we did in the summer, added to Vlaar and Benteke coming back. At least it looks like we are guaranteed some activity.

HH thanks for the post, I have no doubt that it is an honest appraisal from someone connected to the club (in some way), but to be candidly honest it does nothing to ease my worries.

Most people could have taken an educated guess at the 'project' and understood the reasons behind the wage cull. Yes the squad needed an overhaul and I am of the belief the quick way was the correct course of action. Now the players brought in can not be that bad, all would have been scouted and all (after some research) have the backing of some ex pro's and are part of their country's setup. They are on paper no worse than players at teams around and above us in the league, although we did miss out on a few transfers in the summer who I believe would have been in our range (Huddleston prime example).

This now brings me on to the part you missed out on your post, the reason I believe we are 'miles away' from where we want to be - Tactics and Organisation.  We just don't seem to be able to organise ourselves both defensively and offensively, players are employed to do jobs they are not suited for, which in turns makes them look bad players.  As has been mentioned earlier, our tactics and Organisation would make messi look a sub-standard player.  This is where the 'project' fails and no matter what the club do next won't work. Now I wanted Lambert and still do, but he needs to go back to tactics school and the coaches need to earn their pay otherwise this is the best it gets for us. A cast off from another team won't improve us enough to stay up only the players currently here will, and that means setting them up correctly and having them.understand their roles. The injuries to Vlaar and Benteke have just added a convenient excuse, but that is not the reason for our current form.

So in answer to your post, yes I agree with what the club is doing off the pitch for the project and in that sense we are in a stronger position and should see it flourish long term (providing the on pitch is sorted)

In a question to you, is there another reason (barring deemed not ready) why Helenius does not have more minutes on the pitch and how close is Gary Gardner to getting some first team.minutes?

Edited by TonyDaley
  • Like 2

lambert ..the plan.. right lads if RL wants out? 250m.. yep? now just stand back..if AVFC drop out the league the club might sell faster,a lot of these investor types know a big club in a lower league = cheap,wage bill under control etc,RL gets 50m & hes gone,mr investor saves 200m?......its just a thought

lambert ..the plan.. right lads if RL wants out? 250m.. yep? now just stand back..if AVFC drop out the league the club might sell faster,a lot of these investor types know a big club in a lower league = cheap,wage bill under control etc,RL gets 50m & hes gone,mr investor saves 200m?......its just a thought

Yes, but £50m?

We don't want to attract the riff raff ;)

Thanks for your posts, HH, I have no idea if you are ITK, but I do find your posts interesting.

Very good thread you have started, and apart from the usual bickering which seems to dog many threads, there have been lots of thoughtful, reasoned posts.

For my part, although I buy into the overall plan, I think Lambert changed too much too fast. Young and hungry players, yes, but fewer of them, and costing that little bit more that gives us the extra bit of quality we needed.

By filling the squad with cheap players rather than keeping at least some of the `bomb squad' temporarily, I fear that he is now faced with re-building the squad again and placing many of the players he has bought on a new `bomb squad'.

Like many others, notwithstanding the injuries, I am perturbed at how poorly and aimlessly this team is playing at the moment, and that surely has got to be down to the coaching staff.

Hopefully this team can somehow manage to keep us up, because, for better or worse, I do not believe there will be any change in either management or ownership, so we will have to just stick with it, as we always do, and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Yes, but £50m?

We don't want to attract the riff raff ;)

what did RL pay? 60-80m in the prem with players like barry/laursen/bouma/melberg/angel on board....

if he got rid of it £50 ,yes hes lost a few quid but hes out the door,do you think he would care who bought it & what plans were in place?

Just read back through some of this and many thanks HH for posting it.

You asked quite a few pages back what we thought about your words. Well it has helped me massively to know that this is a manager with his hands firmly tied behind his back by a chairman. I'm not saying it's all Lerners fault, but it is Lerners doing if that makes sense. I agree that it was simply way too much way too soon regards selling the experienced players, but we kind of got away with it last season, however the jury is out as to whether we do this.

Thankfully we got a couple of lucky wins against City, Southampton which are the difference between us being lower mid table or in the relegation places which has given us a chance.

I have to ask though what on Earth is Randy Lerner thinking about with that budget for wages etc? Is he having a laugh? Cardiff, West Ham, Swansea & Stoke paying more than us? That is simply embarrassing and very concerning. Is this to continue? or is it just a "short term pain long term gain" thing? Coz if this is what's in store then the future is bleak, very bleak...

As for Paul Lambert i do like the guy and i hope he gets the chance to see it all through to a successful conclusion. I like the sound of the players he's after and can see there is a way forward IF we survive in the division.

So i am backing off PL now as i don't see how he can do things much differently under these ridiculously extreme restrictions.

At the end of the day you can't polish a turd.

I've read through the first post a couple of times now I think we are going to be on a downward spiral until the board sell up.

The only way you can get players busting their balls for the club for crap money is if you have 11 Villa supporting brummies on the pitch. Compare the graft Agbonlahor and Albrighton put in compared to Weiman who doesn't give a toss and Bannan last season who never played for us like he did on boxing day.  You run a bit harder if you bleed claret.

And lets face it, we might aswell put 11 lads in from birchfield harriers running club the amount of chasing without the ball we have to do.

And the only big names you're going to be able to bring in who'll accept crap wages are either players no one else will touch like Joey Barton, someone with McGrath/ Merson type problems or an exiled brummy like Zat Knight. Or Crap like Tonev and El Calamity

Lerner has taken his man utd fantasy's too far by watching the class of 92 on repeat.

Lambert might be jack the lad at the training ground but in his press conferences/interviews he's not very articulate at all. Nobody believed him when he said he supported Villa as a child on football focus so the board have gone back to the old method of leaking tit bits on message boards to get the propaganda out.

Forget Milner and Young, It's obvious to me our big name re-signing of Jan is Super Shaun Maloney

• Like 2

I've read through the first post a couple of times now I think we are going to be on a downward spiral until the board sell up.

The only way you can get players busting their balls for the club for crap money is if you have 11 Villa supporting brummies on the pitch. Compare the graft Agbonlahor and Albrighton put in compared to Weiman who doesn't give a toss and Bannan last season who never played for us like he did on boxing day. You run a bit harder if you bleed claret.

And lets face it, we might aswell put 11 lads in from birchfield harriers running club the amount of chasing without the ball we have to do.

And the only big names you're going to be able to bring in who'll accept crap wages are either players no one else will touch like Joey Barton, someone with McGrath/ Merson type problems or an exiled brummy like Zat Knight. Or Crap like Tonev and El Calamity

Lerner has taken his man utd fantasy's too far by watching the class of 92 on repeat.

Lambert might be jack the lad at the training ground but in his press conferences/interviews he's not very articulate at all. Nobody believed him when he said he supported Villa as a child on football focus so the board have gone back to the old method of leaking tit bits on message boards to get the propaganda out.

Forget Milner and Young, It's obvious to me our big name re-signing of Jan is Super Shaun Maloney

never knew lambert claimed he was a villa fan growing up
  • Like 1

If 50000 Villa fans all put in £5k, then we can become a supporters co-op and buy him out :) I'll even put in £10k so I can be on the board !
  • Like 1