Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Always been a Lambert fan but after just getting back from Villa Park I just don't know what to think. Have been blaming lack of investment from Lerner for ages and still very much believe that, still believe that contributes so much to today but it was more than that today......it was awful, no ideas, no drive, no tactics and at times lack of work ethic which is not acceptable........just so awful

• Like 1

15 wins in 56 games (27%) is pretty damning. AVB was sacked from Spurs with a 53% win rate, better than any recent Spurs manager. I'm not saying I want AVB but Lambert is a disaster as a manager and the quicker we get rid the better.

Completely agree. Much was made of the team's youth as though it was inevitable that several of the side would develop into impressive Premier League performers. Benteke aside, they won't. These are players of about 22/23, not 18 or 19; the dye is pretty much cast and I wouldn't expect much improvement at all. 

I don't think it's a case of the players not turning up for Lambert but simply that they're not good enough. There's a desperate lack of quality throughout the squad and as the article alludes to, they've been dreadful to watch all season. Their only weapon is pace on the break and there's not a single creative passer on the books.

Very good points here. Spot on.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

I'd like AVB

Seriously why??

read my response above, he is a good, young manager

He's a failure. An expensive mistake by Chelsea and Spurs.

He had the best win rate at Spurs over the last 10 odd managers for them, not given enough time to let the team gel. Chelsea he was getting rid of the older players and the owner sacked him, not given a fair chance here either.

Signed some good players for Chelsea. Mata, Lukaku,Courtios.

• Like 1

One of 2 things needs to happen. Either Lambert needs to be backed to bringing 3 experienced players that we need. Or he needs to be sacked. I can't see how Lambert is going to get anything out of the current squad. We are not only lacking in quality but also desire, which is much worse.

• Like 1

Theres a lot of great points being made here but not a lot of questions being asked. For example is Lambert playing boring football because he hasn't had the means to get the creative midfielder he wants? Has he had to adapt/change style because of the squad he currently has and the talent the footballers in it possess? How difficult is it really when your owner doesn't back the manager and give him the funds he would ideally want to build HIS squad, not a squad shaped around the money available to him? I want answers to all of this. I know there's meant to be a plan and a project for the future but...

Im just trying to think of every circumstance etc to get my head round all of this in order to empathize with our clubs current situation. It's all well and good just slating everyone but it doesn't really come up with anything productive.

Edited by tomh621

AVB plays interesting football, lets go out in style atleast

Bought £100m worth of players and they kept only sneaking one goal per game! Besides, we probably couldn't afford his wages!

All signed by a DOF not AVB.

• Like 1

He needs to go if we lose our next two league games.

We were very lucky to beat Southampton but following that up with 6 defeats (we're on 4 now) against some of the worst teams in the division would be beyond embarrassing.

The facts are now we've failed to score in 6 of our 10 home games, still haven't scored a first half goal and given the way we generally played our wretched home form won't be significantly improving under this manager anytime soon. We're in proper McLeish zone now.

Also not good enough for me that after the apparent progress we were making at the end of last season we're increasingly looking like being in another relegation battle playing some of the worst football I've witnessed a Villa team playing in many a season (if you ignore the McLeish season).

We can't even take any joy in wins/shock result as we follow those that with wretched form.

We beat Arsenal and lost our next three, we beat Man. City (somehow) and followed that up by not scoring in our next 4 games and we beat Southampton (somehow) and are currently on a four game losing streak.

Whatever way you try to spin it, the stats are not good and getting worse. Given the way we ended last season and the decent start we made this year we really should be having a comfortable, progressive mid table season.

Dunno why people are talking about AVB. Can just imagine Randy on the phone to him now.

Randy: At Spurs you had 100m to spend in the summer on 9 different players. We'll do you one better, we'll give you 10m to spend on how ever many players you like. Sound good?  PS. Maximum of 20k a week for any new players.

Sure AVB would be well up for that!

Edited by PieFacE

AVB don't win many home games either btw.

I think the main thing I really want from the next manager is someone who'll properly research (and maybe ask the squad why they found it so difficult playing at Villa Park). Narrow the pitch, long ball, I don't care, I just want to see us win every other home game at VP. given some of the garbage in the premier league it's not impossible surely?!

The only games we've won is where we've been extremely lucky.

This just isn't true. Arsenal and Norwich were lucky, I'll give you that. Both those sides had more than enough chances. But villa were unlucky against everton, Liverpool, and west ham. The wins against city and Southampton were deserved because they had tons if possession but few chances. Villa have also had worse luck with injury than many sides around them.

Always been a Lambert fan but after just getting back from Villa Park I just don't know what to think. Have been blaming lack of investment from Lerner for ages and still very much believe that, still believe that contributes so much to today but it was more than that today......it was awful, no ideas, no drive, no tactics and at times lack of work ethic which is not acceptable........just so awful

Excellent post and about where I am at.

I rate Lambert but am now starting to question my judgement. I believe he has been managing with one hand tied behind his back due to a lack of funds in terms of wages. You are simply not going to be able to bring in quality players if you are only prepared to pay them, in Premier League terms, peanuts. However having said that there is no excuse for a lack of effort and a total lack of any drive or game plan as there appeared to be today.

This is now his squad and he has assembled a very poor one. He is though only partially to blame for that. Bottom line is though that whether it is Lambert or another manager they are going to need major backing in fees and wages as this squad needs totally rebuilding.

• Like 1

Like the manager think he will do a great job for us. My opinion, won't call anyone deluded for having a different opinion than me

And what about the job he's currently doing?

it's a project john, no one said it would be done within 18 months we're in the middle of a transition here. If it was so easy as to be done within 18 months then you or I could be a premier manager

Transition to what?

• Like 1

What more does he need to do to get the sack?

Is 4 successive defeats to some of the worst teams in the division not enough?

Its a shame we cant play ourselves so we can end the current run

It's only worth sacking the manager if you can identify a better manager who would actually take the job. 

What's the point in sacking the manager but having no plan for replacing him?