The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

FWIW, here's an annotated version, with our team's thinking in CAPS: 

1 In1842 on May 25th Christian Doppler presented the paper, on what became known as the Doppler Effect, to the Royal Bohemian Society of Science, Doppler was born where in 1803? 

A)Austria     
B)Bohemia        
C)Croatia        
D)Denmark

AUSTRIA - EDUCATED GUESS

2 On May 25th1945 who began privately circulating copies of a paper that proposed using space satellites in geosynchronous orbit  for global communications?

A)Arthur C Clark     
B)Bisnovatyi-Kogan     
C) Carl Charlier     
D) Dirk Brouwer

CLARKE - WE KNEW THIS ONE

3 May 25th 1962 was the Consecration of Coventry's new cathedral designed by Sir Basil Spence born 1907, to Scottish parents in? 

A)Athens  
B)Bombay 
C)Cairo 
D)Damascus 

BOMBAY - EDUCATED GUESS (TWO OF OUR TEAM HAD BEEN TO INDIA AND KNEW THERE WERE BUILDINGS THERE THAT HE HAD DESIGNED)

4 1963 Leaders of 32 African nations agreed to found the Organisation of African Unity at a summit conference ended on May 25th in which capital also known as Finfinne? 

A)Addis Ababa     
B)Brazzaville     
C) Cape Town     
D)Dar es Salaam

BRAZZAVILLE - EDUCATED GUESS (FINFINNE SOUNDS FRENCH/BELGIAN)

5 AJW Summit, was a British high specification motorcycle made by AJW (Arthur John Wheaton) Motorcycles in which Devon city between 1927 and 1931? 

EXETER. ONLY TWO CITIES IN DEVON (EXETER & PLYMOUTH) - 50/50 GUESS 

6 Name the, then, 16 year old Swedish climate activist who spoke at the 2019 United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York City? 

GRETA T (EASY)

7 Summit or OLCF-4 an IBM supercomputer, the world’s fastest, capable of 200 petaFLOPS.  FLOPS means floating point operations per second and a peta is ten to the power of what? 

15 - SCIENCE/IT GUYS IN OUR TEAM

8 Summit is an album recorded and released in Italy in 1974 by Argentinean bandoneonist Astor Piazzolla and which jazz saxophonist 1927-1996? 

GOT THIS ONE WRONG - I GUESSED STAN GETZ

9# Who was born in Argentina in1928  joined Cuban revolutionaries in 1954 fought in the Congo in 1965 and was executed in Bolivia in1967? 

CHE (EASY)

10 Argentina shares land borders with how many countries? 

FIVE (WORKED IT OUT)

11 Don't Cry For Me Argentina 1976 UK No1 hit for who? 

GOT IT WRONG - DEBATED OVER ELAINE PAIGE AND JULIE COVINGTON AND JUMPED THE WRONG WAY 

12 On Aug 31st  2009, UNESCO approved a joint proposal by Argentina and Uruguay to include what dance in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

TANGO (HAD TO BE)

13 In 2016 UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List added Cossack’s songs of the Dnipropetrovsk Region of which country to the list? 

UKRAINE (THAT'S WHERE COSSACKS COME FROM)

14 In 2017 Annual pilgrimage to the Sidi Cheikh mausoleum of Sidi 'Abd el-Qader Ben Mohammed in in which country was added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH SAUDI ARABIA

15 Added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List in 2018 La Romería: ritual cycle of 'La llevada' of the Virgin of Zapopan takes place in which country of the Americas? 

MEXICO - EDUCATED GUESS

16 In 2019 UNESCO added Transhumance, to the Intangible Cultural Heritage List – seasonal livestock droving from Schnals Valley in Italy to the Ötz Valley in which country?  

50/50 BETWEEN AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND - WENT THE WRONG WAY

17 What is the title of 2014 musical drama film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons? 

JERSEY BOYS (EASY)

18 The Neandertal is a small valley of the river Düssel in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, is located about 7.5 mi east of which city the capital of North Rhine-Westphalia? 

DUSSELDORF (THE CLUE IS IN THE QUESTION)

19 In Act 2 sc3 of which Shakespeare play does Lavinia say
‘For sauciness. I pray you, let us hence,   
And let her joy her raven-colour'd love; 
This valley fits the purpose passing well.’    

HAD NO IDEA - GUESSED WRONG WITH TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA     

20 Which 1918 –1974 writer and actress wrote the iconic novel Valley of the Dolls in 1966? 

JACQUELINE SUSANN (WE KNEW THIS)

21 May 25, 1965, saw the 2nd Ali/Liston fight. What was Sonny Liston’s nickname?

A)Axe Man     
B)Big Bear           
C)Club Cub        
D)Dirt Dog

BIG BEAR - KNEW IT

22 1967 Which team became the first British football club to win the European Cup beating Inter Internazionale Milan 2-1 in Lisbon. 

A)Arsenal    
B)Bradford City      
C)Celtic    
D)Derry

CELTIC (EASY)

23 1982 the container ship Atlantic Conveyor and which destroyer were hit by Argentine missiles?  

A)Acorn     
B)Bullfinch            
C)Coventry          
D)Derwent

COVENTRY (REMEMBER IT WELL)

24 On 25th May 1994 which consortium won the contract to run Britain's first national lottery, starting in November? 

A)Avalon    
B)Britanniae     
C)Camelot       
D)Dorado

CAMELOT (EASY)

25 Mr what (Roman God) was the Logo of National Benzole UK a petroleum brand which in 1960s re-branded as National and continued trading until the early 1990s? 

MERCURY - REMEMBERED THE LOGO

26 The National (currently Boost National for sponsorship reasons) is a Canadian tournament one of the six events that are part of the Grand Slam of what winter sport?

CONSIDERED CURLING, BUT GUESSED WRONG WITH ICE HOCKEY

27 Name the Irish-bred thoroughbred racehorse who competes in National Hunt racing and won the Grand National in 2018 and 2019. 

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA

28 Who plays Clark Wilhelm Griswold Jr. in the 6 National Lampoons Vacation films? 

NO IDEA - GUESSED WRONG WITH JACK BLACK

29 Which father and daughter team starred in the film Paper Moon? 

RYAN/TATUM O'NEAL (EASY)

30 How many 'golden tickets' were hidden inside Wonka bars in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory? 

FIVE - WORKED THROUGH THE NAMES!

31 Christopher Lambert plays Connor MacLeod one of a number of immortal warriors who can be killed only by beheading in which 1986 film?

HIGHLANDER (EASY)

32 Which 1993 film won Steven Spielberg his first Oscar for Best Director in 1994? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH 'THE COLOUR PURPLE'

33 ‘Stephen, let me sing your song I know you held it for so long’ lines from the 3rd track of ‘The Hungry Years’ a 1975 album by which singer songwriter b.1939? 

SHOULD HAVE GOT THIS ONE - WE PUT KRIS KRISTOFFERSON, EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WASN'T HIM

34 Jeeves and Wooster ITV from 1990 to 1993 starred, Stephen Fry as Jeeves and b.1959 as Bertie Wooster? 

HUGH LAURIE (EASY)

35 Stephen I, also King Saint Stephen c. 975 –1038 is venerated as the patron saint of? 

HAD NO IDEA - WE GUESSED CARPENTERS

36 Steven George Gerrard MBE (b.1980) spent 1998–2015 as a central midfielder for which club? 

LIVERPOOL (EASY)

37 Leeds Central constituency recreated in 1983 is represented in the House of Commons since 1999 by Hilary Benn of which party?  

LABOUR (EASY)

38 On Aug. 13, 1960, President David Dacko proclaimed the Central African Republic's independence from which country? 

50/50 BELGIUM OR FRANCE - WE WENT THE WRONG WAY

39 Rachel Green was a waitress at West Village coffee house Central Perk in what 1994-2004 USA TV series? 

FRIENDS (EASY)

40 Which city lies on the River Manzanares in the centre of the country of which it is the capital? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH BRASILIA - SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT MORE CAREFULLY

Edited by mjmooney

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FWIW, here's an annotated version, with our team's thinking in CAPS: 

Reveal hidden contents

1 In1842 on May 25th Christian Doppler presented the paper, on what became known as the Doppler Effect, to the Royal Bohemian Society of Science, Doppler was born where in 1803? 

A)Austria     
B)Bohemia        
C)Croatia        
D)Denmark

AUSTRIA - EDUCATED GUESS

2 On May 25th1945 who began privately circulating copies of a paper that proposed using space satellites in geosynchronous orbit  for global communications?

A)Arthur C Clark     
B)Bisnovatyi-Kogan     
C) Carl Charlier     
D) Dirk Brouwer

CLARKE - WE KNEW THIS ONE

3 May 25th 1962 was the Consecration of Coventry's new cathedral designed by Sir Basil Spence born 1907, to Scottish parents in? 

A)Athens  
B)Bombay 
C)Cairo 
D)Damascus 

BOMBAY - EDUCATED GUESS (TWO OF OUR TEAM HAD BEEN TO INDIA AND KNEW THERE WERE BUILDINGS THERE THAT HE HAD DESIGNED)

4 1963 Leaders of 32 African nations agreed to found the Organisation of African Unity at a summit conference ended on May 25th in which capital also known as Finfinne? 

A)Addis Ababa     
B)Brazzaville     
C) Cape Town     
D)Dar es Salaam

BRAZZAVILLE - EDUCATED GUESS (FINFINNE SOUNDS FRENCH/BELGIAN)

5 AJW Summit, was a British high specification motorcycle made by AJW (Arthur John Wheaton) Motorcycles in which Devon city between 1927 and 1931? 

EXETER. ONLY TWO CITIES IN DEVON (EXETER & PLYMOUTH) - 50/50 GUESS 

6 Name the, then, 16 year old Swedish climate activist who spoke at the 2019 United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York City? 

GRETA T (EASY)

7 Summit or OLCF-4 an IBM supercomputer, the world’s fastest, capable of 200 petaFLOPS.  FLOPS means floating point operations per second and a peta is ten to the power of what? 

15 - SCIENCE/IT GUYS IN OUR TEAM

8 Summit is an album recorded and released in Italy in 1974 by Argentinean bandoneonist Astor Piazzolla and which jazz saxophonist 1927-1996? 

GOT THIS ONE WRONG - I GUESSED STAN GETZ

9# Who was born in Argentina in1928  joined Cuban revolutionaries in 1954 fought in the Congo in 1965 and was executed in Bolivia in1967? 

CHE (EASY)

10 Argentina shares land borders with how many countries? 

FIVE (WORKED IT OUT)

GOT IT WRONG - DEBATED OVER ELAINE PAIGE AND JULIE COVINGTON AND JUMPED THE WRONG WAY 

12 On Aug 31st  2009, UNESCO approved a joint proposal by Argentina and Uruguay to include what dance in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

TANGO (HAD TO BE)

13 In 2016 UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List added Cossack’s songs of the Dnipropetrovsk Region of which country to the list? 

UKRAINE (THAT'S WHERE COSSACKS COME FROM)

14 In 2017 Annual pilgrimage to the Sidi Cheikh mausoleum of Sidi 'Abd el-Qader Ben Mohammed in in which country was added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH SAUDI ARABIA

15 Added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List in 2018 La Romería: ritual cycle of 'La llevada' of the Virgin of Zapopan takes place in which country of the Americas? 

MEXICO - EDUCATED GUESS

16 In 2019 UNESCO added Transhumance, to the Intangible Cultural Heritage List – seasonal livestock droving from Schnals Valley in Italy to the Ötz Valley in which country?  

50/50 BETWEEN AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND - WENT THE WRONG WAY

17 What is the title of 2014 musical drama film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons? 

JERSEY BOYS (EASY)

18 The Neandertal is a small valley of the river Düssel in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, is located about 7.5 mi east of which city the capital of North Rhine-Westphalia? 

DUSSELDORF (THE CLUE IS IN THE QUESTION)

19 In Act 2 sc3 of which Shakespeare play does Lavinia say
‘For sauciness. I pray you, let us hence,   
And let her joy her raven-colour'd love; 
This valley fits the purpose passing well.’    

HAD NO IDEA - GUESSED WRONG WITH TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA     

20 Which 1918 –1974 writer and actress wrote the iconic novel Valley of the Dolls in 1966? 

JACQUELINE SUSANN (WE KNEW THIS)

21 May 25, 1965, saw the 2nd Ali/Liston fight. What was Sonny Liston’s nickname?

A)Axe Man     
B)Big Bear           
C)Club Cub        
D)Dirt Dog

BIG BEAR - KNEW IT

22 1967 Which team became the first British football club to win the European Cup beating Inter Internazionale Milan 2-1 in Lisbon. 

A)Arsenal    
B)Bradford City      
C)Celtic    
D)Derry

CELTIC (EASY)

23 1982 the container ship Atlantic Conveyor and which destroyer were hit by Argentine missiles?  

A)Acorn     
B)Bullfinch            
C)Coventry          
D)Derwent

COVENTRY (REMEMBER IT WELL)

24 On 25th May 1994 which consortium won the contract to run Britain's first national lottery, starting in November? 

A)Avalon    
B)Britanniae     
C)Camelot       
D)Dorado

CAMELOT (EASY)

25 Mr what (Roman God) was the Logo of National Benzole UK a petroleum brand which in 1960s re-branded as National and continued trading until the early 1990s? 

MERCURY - REMEMBERED THE LOGO

26 The National (currently Boost National for sponsorship reasons) is a Canadian tournament one of the six events that are part of the Grand Slam of what winter sport?

CONSIDERED CURLING, BUT GUESSED WRONG WITH ICE HOCKEY

27 Name the Irish-bred thoroughbred racehorse who competes in National Hunt racing and won the Grand National in 2018 and 2019. 

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA

28 Who plays Clark Wilhelm Griswold Jr. in the 6 National Lampoons Vacation films? 

NO IDEA - GUESSED WRONG WITH JACK BLACK

29 Which father and daughter team starred in the film Paper Moon? 

RYAN/TATUM O'NEAL (EASY)

30 How many 'golden tickets' were hidden inside Wonka bars in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory? 

FIVE - WORKED THROUGH THE NAMES!

31 Christopher Lambert plays Connor MacLeod one of a number of immortal warriors who can be killed only by beheading in which 1986 film?

HIGHLANDER (EASY)

32 Which 1993 film won Steven Spielberg his first Oscar for Best Director in 1994? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH 'THE COLOUR PURPLE'

33 ‘Stephen, let me sing your song I know you held it for so long’ lines from the 3rd track of ‘The Hungry Years’ a 1975 album by which singer songwriter b.1939? 

SHOULD HAVE GOT THIS ONE - WE PUT KRIS KRISTOFFERSON, EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WASN'T HIM

34 Jeeves and Wooster ITV from 1990 to 1993 starred, Stephen Fry as Jeeves and b.1959 as Bertie Wooster? 

HUGH LAURIE (EASY)

35 Stephen I, also King Saint Stephen c. 975 –1038 is venerated as the patron saint of? 

HAD NO IDEA - WE GUESSED CARPENTERS

36 Steven George Gerrard MBE (b.1980) spent 1998–2015 as a central midfielder for which club? 

LIVERPOOL (EASY)

37 Leeds Central constituency recreated in 1983 is represented in the House of Commons since 1999 by Hilary Benn of which party?  

LABOUR (EASY)

38 On Aug. 13, 1960, President David Dacko proclaimed the Central African Republic's independence from which country? 

50/50 BELGIUM OR FRANCE - WE WENT THE WRONG WAY

39 Rachel Green was a waitress at West Village coffee house Central Perk in what 1994-2004 USA TV series? 

FRIENDS (EASY)

40 Which city lies on the River Manzanares in the centre of the country of which it is the capital? 

GUESSED WRONG WITH BRASILIA - SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT MORE CAREFULLY

See if you'd had me on your team I'd have got the Griswold point for you.

I'd probably have talked you out of a couple of correct answers too,, mind you ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

See if you'd had me on your team I'd have got the Griswold point for you.

I'd probably have talked you out of a couple of correct answers too,, mind you ;)

That does happen. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

you need a new quiz master as  it wasn't a number one until 1977  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

you need a new quiz master as  it wasn't a number one until 1977  :)

Oh, he makes mistakes. One of the things we miss from the actual pub nights is the pisstaking when it happens. But the referee is always right, and I have no problem with that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, he makes mistakes. One of the things we miss from the actual pub nights is the pisstaking when it happens. But the referee is always right, and I have no problem with that. 

Yeah agree , The piss take is part of the fun if it’s done in the right spirit . 
I’m sure I’ve told my quiz master is always right story before when he said Bryan Ferry wrote Jealous Guy ... nothing you can do but grumble to yourself and apologise to your team mates for costing them a point !!

• Like 1

My sister gets a quiz sent round her offices every week. Obviously during lockdown it's emailed to them rather than done in person. So there's a certain amount of trust used.

She sends it on to me and my mom to have a go. it's relatively easy. I'd say I average about 19 or 20 out of 25.

But the guy who does it keeps track of everyone's score. One girl in the office has got 25 out of 25 for the last 6 weeks in a row.

What is the actual point of doing that? You're not fooling anyone. It can't be fun to just google all the answers.

People are weird.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My sister gets a quiz sent round her offices every week. Obviously during lockdown it's emailed to them rather than done in person. So there's a certain amount of trust used.

She sends it on to me and my mom to have a go. it's relatively easy. I'd say I average about 19 or 20 out of 25.

But the guy who does it keeps track of everyone's score. One girl in the office has got 25 out of 25 for the last 6 weeks in a row.

What is the actual point of doing that? You're not fooling anyone. It can't be fun to just google all the answers.

People are weird.

Yep, that's how ours works. Cheating would be pointless, especially as there are no prizes. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

People are weird.

I used to work at a place that over Christmas would send out a daily quiz. A bloke I worked with would happily google the answers. No glory in cheating. Best at googling we used to say. 

Google the answers!

My missus has just done an online maths assessment as part of a course she’s been on. She found the answers on another part of the website.

Did she manufacturer an excellent 80% pass?

Did she hell, she used the answers she found to double check her answers, which she did long hand.

45 minute maths assessment, with the answers printed out, she took 2 hours and used about 5 sheets of A4 for ‘workings’.

We have a weekly Skype quiz at work using Kahoot!, it was a music quiz this week guess the intro and stuff like that.

One quizzer took me to task for not accepting his answer of Killers when I had the correct answer of The Killers and The Man, don’t judge me on the music just the severity of my judgement, was I right, I think I was but then it was our Vice President 

2 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

We have a weekly Skype quiz at work using Kahoot!, it was a music quiz this week guess the intro and stuff like that.

One quizzer took me to task for not accepting his answer of Killers when I had the correct answer of The Killers and The Man, don’t judge me on the music just the severity of my judgement, was I right, I think I was but then it was our Vice President 

I though Kahoot was 4 option multi choice ? 

• 2 weeks later...

There was  a quick quiz on a radio breakfast show last week and I thought it was fairly easy but was surprised at how many of the contestants knew so few of the answers. I'd say anyone 40 and under should be ok

Only 5 questions so lets see how VT does 

1) Which band had a hit with "In the Morning" in 2005

2) Who has scored the most goals in the history of the Premier League

3) What country would you be in if you were in Fray Bentos

4) What does the acronym ISP stand for?

5) Who drove the Compact Pussycat in the Wacky Races?

Answers 

Spoiler

1. The Coral (Razorlight had a hit with the same title but a year later)

2. Alan Shearer

3. Uruguay

4. Internet Service Provider

5. Penelope Pitstop

Â