The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

it stretches over the 180 degree line of latitude so that makes it in the Eastern hemisphere by definition

Hold on a cotton picking minute, you still need to be pulled up on this bullshit.

Furthest East has nothing to do with being in a spcific hemisphere. Alaska is the furthest West not the furthest East

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Hold on a cotton picking minute, you still need to be pulled up on this bullshit.

Furthest East has nothing to do with being in a spcific hemisphere. Alaska is the furthest West not the furthest East

Yeah this is what I thought. But then again if you don't have the hemispheres then everything is east. And everything is also west. Depending on where you start.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah this is what I thought. But then again if you don't have the hemispheres then everything is east. And everything is also west. Depending on where you start.

the hemispheres are irrelevamt. The furthest point east is the furthest point in the country heading east using the lines of longitude around the earth

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Aren't they exactly the same? Hence an eclipse?

the moon changes size through the phases of the moon and even during the course of the night (to the human eye) due to its changing orbit throughout the lunar month (and your position on Earth too). The Sun stays relatively the same size due to it being much further away, though there are differences in apparent size but they are much less noticeable and you'd burn your retinas out looking

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

the hemispheres are irrelevamt. The furthest point east is the furthest point in the country heading east using the lines of longitude around the earth

Yeah but if you keep going east you’ll eventually get to the other side of the country. So that’s also east. 

🤯

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but if you keep going east you’ll eventually get to the other side of the country. So that’s also east. 

🤯

You stop at the border of the country, you don't keep going because Russia isn't in the USA, so you've reched the furthest point west when you cross from Alaska into Russia

9 hours ago, bickster said:

You stop at the border of the country, you don't keep going because Russia isn't in the USA, so you've reched the furthest point west when you cross from Alaska into Russia

Yeah but if you stop at the border, then the east of the country is still to the west.

And the West is to the East.

13 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

What looks bigger to humans: the sun or the moon? 

the moon

due to science we cant see a huge portion of the sun whereas the light reflecting off the moon makes it look bigger than it actually is

12 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The sun and the moon appear the same size if they are together. 

But.........

Things closer the horizon seem to be larger than those further away. 

small GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 10 months later...

Doing a zoom quiz with my mates, take it in turns asking the questions, last week I had geography and maybe went a bit too hard, it's lads trying to pass time rather than seasoned quizzers..this week I've got films which is a mixed bag, this is what I'm thinking - 

1) what's baby's real name in dirty dancing? 

2) what colour pill does neo choose in the matrix? 

3) what is the pre war occupation of Tom Hanks character in saving private Ryan? 

4) what is the trilogy name given to Sean of the Dead, hot fuzz and the world's end? 

5) in which city were the winter Olympics in cool running? 

6) what's the name of the piggy Bank in toy story? 

7) in which film would you find nakatomi plaza? 

😎 which James bond film was pulled forward in the release sequence due to the success of star wars? 

9) in which film would you find ecto 1?

10) who was the only actor to get an Oscar nomination in the LOTR trilogy? 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Doing a zoom quiz with my mates, take it in turns asking the questions, last week I had geography and maybe went a bit too hard, it's lads trying to pass time rather than seasoned quizzers..this week I've got films which is a mixed bag, this is what I'm thinking - 

3) what is the pre war occupation of Tom Hanks character in saving private Ryan? 

4) what is the trilogy name given to Sean of the Dead, hot fuzz and the world's end? 

😎 which star wars film was pulled forward in the release sequence due to the success of star wars? 

I can get about 3 or 4 of them which considering I don't really watch many films seems like a fair selection of questions to me.  I've got a work one starting at 7.30 and I'm desperately hoping that Zoom is still down then because I'm a miserable bastard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

😎 which James bond film was pulled forward in the release sequence due to the success of star wars? 

I don't know ANY of those. 

Â