The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah it would be good. I did very well on the multiple choices, which was more luck than anything. Also complete guess on Abba's Eurovision. I knew the era so took a punt. 

As as only child I used to study a lot. World Cup history i'm good at as I used to pore over the stats and figures. Always been decent at countries/flags/geography due to having a globe and many atlases in my room as a kid! 

My blind spot is modern pop culture and science. Hated science at school. 

I did that quiz I was talking about on the last page on Sunday, I was doing alright until the music round.  Beforehand the guy doing the quiz asked everyone what their DOB is so I guessed that one of the questions was going to be what was number 1 when everyone was born so I googled it, but it turned out to be what was number 1 when we turned 18.  Most of the other guys were 20/21 so I was absolutely **** as I hadn't heard of any of them.  I even got my own one wrong because I thought Sean Paul was Shaggy.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I did that quiz I was talking about on the last page on Sunday, I was doing alright until the music round.  Beforehand the guy doing the quiz asked everyone what their DOB is so I guessed that one of the questions was going to be what was number 1 when everyone was born so I googled it, but it turned out to be what was number 1 when we turned 18.  Most of the other guys were 20/21 so I was absolutely **** as I hadn't heard of any of them.  I even got my own one wrong because I thought Sean Paul was Shaggy.

We had a work quiz last year in a pub... our team was doing well until the dreaded music round. They played 5 seconds of a song and wanted artist and song title. All the songs were modern! I think we got zero in that round! 

Finished 2nd overall so it cost us. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

9 Which European team was the first to win a FIFA World final outside of Europe? 

9 2014

10 Brazil are the only non-European side with a FIFA World Cup title in Europe, they defeated which national team 5-2 in the 1958 final in Sweden? 

10 Sweden

:unsure:

Still managed a creditable 16 points though. I surprised myself.

9 Which European team was the first to win a FIFA World final outside of Europe? 

Answer 2014

not sure that one is correct :) 

edit - reading down a bit more I see that’s all ready bin Dunne 

Edited by tonyh29

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

:unsure:

Still managed a creditable 16 points though. I surprised myself.

Question 9 is defo wrong, should be the victors in 2010

Question 10 is right though... they beat Sweden in Sweden. I think the wording makes it sound as though it was a trick question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Question 10 is right though... they beat Sweden in Sweden. I think the wording makes it sound as though it was a trick question.

Dastardly!

Thanks for the clarification though.;)

• Like 1

Sorry about the jumbled answers - they tend to be a mess when the quizmaster sends them, and I think I compounded it when editing my copy/paste. 

You may have noticed that it has a structure - it's split into two blocks of twenty (get a beer at half time). Each half starts off with four multiple choice questions, which are (usually very, very tenuously) related to 'this day in history'. The rest goes in blocks of four subject-related questions, the fourth question of each block triggering (again, tenuously) the subject for the next four. 

The quizmaster has been creating these every week for nearly 30 years. 

• Like 2

Question 1 nearly caught me out. It's one of those "it can't be that easy" questions that you almost persuade yourself its a trick question!

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, thought it was a lot more 'populist' than usual last night: 

1 On May 18th 332 the Emperor Constantine the Great announced free distribution of food to the citizens of which city? 
A)Athens      
B)Babylon    
C)Constantinople        
D)Dole

2 The May 18th 1291 capture and Fall of which city marked the end of Crusader presence in the Holy Land and of crusades to the Levant?
A)Acre   
B)Byblos   
C)Corinth   
D)Derbe 

3 The Napoleonic Wars began on May 18th1803 when the UK declared war on France by revoking the Treaty of?  
A)Amiens        
B)Bordeaux        
C)Calais        
D)Dijon

4 On this date in 1811 the Battle of Las Piedras saw the first great military triumph of the revolution of the Río de la Plata in Uruguay led by José Gervasio...who? 

A)Artigas        
B)Bolivar        
C)Cortuna        
D)Desparos

5 The currency of Uruguay is known as The Uruguayan what? 

6 Which river 180 mi long and 140 miles wide at its mouth forms part of the border between Argentina and Uruguay? 

7 The Fray Bentos brand is derived from Fray Bentos in Uruguay where the products were processed and packaged until 1960’s. In what UK country are they now made? 

8 Uruguay won the only FIFA World Cup not to have a final - the winner was determined by a final group stage in what year? 

10 Brazil are the only non-European side with a FIFA World Cup title in Europe, they defeated which national team 5-2 in the 1958 final in Sweden? 

11 How many times have Brazil won the FIFA World Cup? 

12 Only 2 World Cups have been held outside of Europe and the Americas, South Korea and Japan served as co-hosts in 2002, followed by which country in 2010? 

13 After an abortive attempt on 20th BBC2 launched on 21st April in what year? 

14 The Two Gentlemen of Verona is the only Shakespeare play to feature a dog. It belongs to Launce who calls it by the name of what creature? 

15 The 2CV, English nicknames include "Flying Dustbin", "Tin Snail", "Dolly", and "Tortoise", an economy car introduced at the 1948 Paris Mondial de l'Automobile and produced until 1990 by which company?  

16 After City of London which is England's 2nd smallest city by area and population? 

17 William Patrick Stuart-Houston (née Hitler; 1911–1987) the half-nephew of Adolf Hitler was born in which English city? 

18 Letters Patent issued by King John in 1211 created which English city that lost its city status in 1998 due to the council’s failure to appoint Charter Trustees?

19 Which is the first English city alphabetically? 

20 How many English cities begin with the letter ‘C’? 

21 The first Indian feature film ‘Shree Pundalik’ was released in Mumbai on May 18th 1912 -  Ramchandra Gopal Torne was given what byname? 
A)Abbamaha    
B)Badasaab    
C)Capogurujee        
D)Dadasaheb

22 May 18th 1872 saw the birth of philosopher, mathematician and Nobel Prize recipient, Bertrand Russell, one of the founders in 1960 of an anti-war group advocating nuclear disarmament known as the Committee of what?    
A)10    
B) 50        
C)100    
D)250

23 On May 18th1991 Helen Sharman became the first Briton to go into space. In 1984 she received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Sheffield in what discipline? 
A)Aeronautics           
B)Biology           
C)Chemistry          
D)Drama

24 Which British/Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biologics on May 18th 2014 rejected America company Pfizer's final offer of £63bn? 
A)AstraZeneca
B)Beiersdorf UK 
C)Chugai Pharmaceutical Co.   
D)DuPont Pharma.

25 In what year did ABBA win the Eurovision song contest with Waterloo? 

26 Which Swedish Prime Minister was assassinated on 28th Feb 1986? 

27 Which dramatist born in Stockholm in 1849 (d. 1912.) wrote the play Miss Julie in 1888? 

28 The Gulf of Bothnia separates Sweden from which country?

29 The combat phase of the Persian Gulf War was known by what codename? 

30 The U.S. states of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas border which Gulf? 

31 Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe in Gulf of Guinea became independent from which country in 1975? 

32 The Gulf of Carpentaria a large shallow sea bounded on the north by the eastern Arafura Sea and enclosed on the East, West and South sides by which Commonwealth country? 

33 Which Commonwealth nation is home to the fiord Milford Sound? 

34 Brazil, Suriname and Venezuela border which Commonwealth country?  

35 The Commonwealth Games take place every four years in 2018 they were held in City of Gold Coast in Australia which city will be host in 2022, virus permitting?  

36 Which continent is home to the largest number of Commonwealth countries? 

37 Diez, Tio, Zehn, and Zece mean what in Spanish, Swedish, German and Romanian respectively? 

38 How many red balls are on a snooker table at the start of a championship frame? 

39 Paul Hardcastle had a 1985 UK No1 hit with what number? 

40 Violent storm wind speed 103-117mph is number 11 on what 1805 created scale? 

Tie break -The Gulf War was waged against Iraq by coalition forces from how many nations led by the United States? 

You'll find my answers below:

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Answers: 

Reveal hidden contents

1 C)Constantinople 

2 A)Acre  

3 A)Amiens

4 A)Artigas         

5 Peso

6 River Plate

7 Scotland

8 1950

9 2014

10 Sweden

11 Five - 1958-1962-1970-1994-2002

12 South Africa

13 1964 

14 Crab

15 Citroën 

16 Wells

17 Liverpool

18 Rochester

19 Bath

20 Seven -  Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chelmsford,  Chester, Chichester & Coventry

21 D)Dadasaheb

22 C)100 

23 C)Chemistry 

24 A)AstraZeneca 

25 1974

26 Sven Olof Palme

27 Johan August Strindberg

28 Finland

29 Desert Storm  

30 Gulf of Mexico 

31 Portugal 

32 Australia 

33 New Zealand

34 Guyana

35 Birmingham

36 Africa

37 10

38 15

39 19

40 Beaufort

Tie break - 35

• Haha 1

He's definitely dumbing it down. Enjoy. 

1 In1842 on May 25th Christian Doppler presented the paper, on what became known as the Doppler Effect, to the Royal Bohemian Society of Science, Doppler was born where in 1803? 

A)Austria     
B)Bohemia        
C)Croatia        
D)Denmark

2 On May 25th1945 who began privately circulating copies of a paper that proposed using space satellites in geosynchronous orbit  for global communications?

A)Arthur C Clark     
B)Bisnovatyi-Kogan     
C) Carl Charlier     
D) Dirk Brouwer

3 May 25th 1962 was the Consecration of Coventry's new cathedral designed by Sir Basil Spence born 1907, to Scottish parents in? 

A)Athens  
B)Bombay 
C)Cairo 
D)Damascus

4 1963 Leaders of 32 African nations agreed to found the Organisation of African Unity at a summit conference ended on May 25th in which capital also known as Finfinne? 

A)Addis Ababa     
B)Brazzaville     
C) Cape Town     
D)Dar es Salaam

5 AJW Summit, was a British high specification motorcycle made by AJW (Arthur John Wheaton) Motorcycles in which Devon city between 1927 and 1931? 

6 Name the, then, 16 year old Swedish climate activist who spoke at the 2019 United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York City? 

7 Summit or OLCF-4 an IBM supercomputer, the world’s fastest, capable of 200 petaFLOPS.  FLOPS means floating point operations per second and a peta is ten to the power of what? 

8 Summit is an album recorded and released in Italy in 1974 by Argentinean bandoneonist Astor Piazzolla and which jazz saxophonist 1927-1996? 

9 Who was born in Argentina in1928  joined Cuban revolutionaries in 1954 fought in the Congo in 1965 and was executed in Bolivia in1967? 

10 Argentina shares land borders with how many countries? 

11 Don't Cry For Me Argentina 1976 UK No1 hit for who? 

12 On Aug 31st  2009, UNESCO approved a joint proposal by Argentina and Uruguay to include what dance in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

13 In 2016 UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List added Cossack’s songs of the Dnipropetrovsk Region of which country to the list? 

14 In 2017 Annual pilgrimage to the Sidi Cheikh mausoleum of Sidi 'Abd el-Qader Ben Mohammed in in which country was added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List? 

15 Added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List in 2018 La Romería: ritual cycle of 'La llevada' of the Virgin of Zapopan takes place in which country of the Americas? 

16 In 2019 UNESCO added Transhumance, to the Intangible Cultural Heritage List – seasonal livestock droving from Schnals Valley in Italy to the Ötz Valley in which country?  

17 What is the title of 2014 musical drama film directed and produced by Clint Eastwood about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons? 

18 The Neandertal is a small valley of the river Düssel in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, is located about 7.5 mi east of which city the capital of North Rhine-Westphalia? 

19 In Act 2 sc3 of which Shakespeare play does Lavinia say
‘For sauciness. I pray you, let us hence,   
And let her joy her raven-colour'd love; 
This valley fits the purpose passing well.’         

20 Which 1918 –1974 writer and actress wrote the iconic novel Valley of the Dolls in 1966? 

21 May 25, 1965, saw the 2nd Ali/Liston fight. What was Sonny Liston’s nickname?

A)Axe Man     
B)Big Bear           
C)Club Cub        
D)Dirt Dog

22 1967 Which team became the first British football club to win the European Cup beating Inter Internazionale Milan 2-1 in Lisbon. 

A)Arsenal    
B)Bradford City      
C)Celtic    
D)Derry

23 1982 the container ship Atlantic Conveyor and which destroyer were hit by Argentine missiles?  

A)Acorn     
B)Bullfinch            
C)Coventry          
D)Derwent

24 On 25th May 1994 which consortium won the contract to run Britain's first national lottery, starting in November? 

A)Avalon    
B)Britanniae     
C)Camelot       
D)Dorado

25 Mr what (Roman God) was the Logo of National Benzole UK a petroleum brand which in 1960s re-branded as National and continued trading until the early 1990s? 

26 The National (currently Boost National for sponsorship reasons) is a Canadian tournament one of the six events that are part of the Grand Slam of what winter sport?

27 Name the Irish-bred thoroughbred racehorse who competes in National Hunt racing and won the Grand National in 2018 and 2019. 

28 Who plays Clark Wilhelm Griswold Jr. in the 6 National Lampoons Vacation films?

29 Which father and daughter team starred in the film Paper Moon? 

30 How many 'golden tickets' were hidden inside Wonka bars in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory? 

31 Christopher Lambert plays Connor MacLeod one of a number of immortal warriors who can be killed only by beheading in which 1986 film?

32 Which 1993 film won Steven Spielberg his first Oscar for Best Director in 1994? 

33 ‘Stephen, let me sing your song I know you held it for so long’ lines from the 3rd track of ‘The Hungry Years’ a 1975 album by which singer songwriter b.1939? 

34 Jeeves and Wooster ITV from 1990 to 1993 starred, Stephen Fry as Jeeves and b.1959 as Bertie Wooster? 

35 Stephen I, also King Saint Stephen c. 975 –1038 is venerated as the patron saint of? 

36 Steven George Gerrard MBE (b.1980) spent 1998–2015 as a central midfielder for which club? 

37 Leeds Central constituency recreated in 1983 is represented in the House of Commons since 1999 by Hilary Benn of which party?  

38 On Aug. 13, 1960, President David Dacko proclaimed the Central African Republic's independence from which country? 

39 Rachel Green was a waitress at West Village coffee house Central Perk in what 1994-2004 USA TV series? 

40 Which city lies on the River Manzanares in the centre of the country of which it is the capital? 

Tie break - What was the turnout in the Leeds Central constituency at the Dec 2019 election?    

A big thank you to our sponsors BCO (Barnard Castle Opticians) 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

ANSWERS: 

1 A)Austria
2 A)Arthur C Clark     
3 B)Bombay 
4 A)Addis Ababa 
5 Exeter
6 Greta Thunberg. (17 on Jan 3rd 2020).
7 15 or 1015 or 1000000000000000 
8 Gerry Mulligan.
9 Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara 
10 Five: Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay & Uruguay
11 Julie Covington
12 The Tango
13 Ukraine
14 Algeria
15 Mexico
16 Austria 
17 Jersey Boys
18 Düsseldorf
19 Titus Andronicus
20 Jacqueline Susann 
21 B)Big Bear      
22 C)Celtic 
23 C)Coventry          
24 C)Camelot      
25 Mr Mercury
26 Curling 
27 Tiger Roll
28 Chevy Chase
29 Ryan O’Neal and Tatum O’Neal
30 Five
31 Highlander
32 Schindler’s List
33 Neil Sedaka
34 Hugh Laurie
35 Hungary
36 Liverpool
37 Labour Party
38 France.
39 Friends
40 Madrid

Tie break - 49,284  

• Thanks 1

I'd hate to be in your quiz, Mike. Normally there's a bunch you kick yourself for not getting but There's a huge chunk of these I'd never get. 17 this week for me.

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'd hate to be in your quiz, Mike. Normally there's a bunch you kick yourself for not getting but There's a huge chunk of these I'd never get. 17 this week for me.

Yeah, but you're doing it on your own. A team of four or five people will always do better. We got 26 and came third (behind a 29 and a 27). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I got 20

should have got 18 but thought it was going to be a trick question 🤦‍♂️

im not sure id enjoy that if I was sat in the pub to be honest, swings wildly, theres a lot of stuff on there that doesn't necessarily seem general knowledge but linked to age (mainly old but a couple of young too)

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I got 20

should have got 18 but thought it was going to be a trick question 🤦‍♂️

im not sure id enjoy that if I was sat in the pub to be honest, swings wildly, theres a lot of stuff on there that doesn't necessarily seem general knowledge but linked to age (mainly old but a couple of young too)

The clientele in the pub on a Monday does tend toward an over-50, educated demographic. 

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The clientele in the pub on a Monday does tend toward an over-50, educated demographic. 

did you know the Rachel green question?

I would say anyone between the age of 30 - 40 knows that straight away

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

did you know the Rachel green question?

I would say anyone between the age of 30 - 40 knows that straight away

Yeah. I have a wife and two daughters who watch(ed) that shit. 

• Like 1

Â