The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Geography from last week from what I can remember 

1) which country translates in English as the rich coast

2) what was the last state to add its star on the American flag

3) in 2019 which country had the most international visitors / tourists

4) measured by number of passengers which is the busiest / largest airport in the world

5) where is Zealand (as in "New Zealand") - but half a point if you get the other one ;)

6) what city was formerly known as New Amsterdam 

7) what's the newest country to be recognised by the UN

😎 what is the world's first recognised national park

9) where is the largest desert in the world? 

Spoiler

1.Costa Rica
2.Hawaii?
3.France or USA (I'll go France)
4.Does it include passengers passing through and not disembarking? So somewhere like Frankfurt or Abu Dhabi?
5.Is that not the continent (under the sea) that New Zealand sits on. I know it's called Zealandia but it might be known as Zealand too?
6.New York
7.I'll go with South Sudan, unless name changes also count, in which case I'll say it's Eswatini.
8.No idea. Yellowstone.
9.Antarctica

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On the discussion of hard quizzes, there's nothing worse than someone setting a ridiculously hard quiz in an effort to show how brainy they are (I'm not for one second suggesting you were doing that V4E!)

We have a weekly one with work and there's all sorts of a range of abilities in there. We take it in turns to set the questions and most people do it sensibly. Like 5 easy questions 3 tough questions and 2 really hard questions.

Last week it was a guy in my team's turn and the quiz was ridiculous. I came 2nd with 2 out of 10. The winner got 4 :D 

The guy who set it smugly claimed he knew 9 out of the 10 answers.

The first question was "Name any of Harold Godwinson's brothers who died in 1066". I'm sure there will be some VTers who know that but not a single person on this quiz could even guess at a name. So that set the tone :D
4 out of 10 questions I couldn't even make a guess at

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah it's hard to know where to pitch it! Really you want questions that even if people don't know the answer they can still guess at it or better try and find those tip of your tongue questions that piss you off because you know it but get brain freeze, questions where you either know it or you don't are a bit shit 

Last week I was the only person in 8 lads who knew what film was set on the nostromo, that to me is an easy question but if you've never seen it then forget it 

I try to give a few true or false questions, and 'closest wins' for year or distance questions so everyone can give an answer and have some enjoyment from it.  Then I vary the other questions in difficulty.  My problem is sticking to topics I like.  I have to force myself to ask questions about things I don't like, otherwise it would be a fairly narrow and predictable set of topics.

• Like 1

I think the ideal quiz for that sort of purely social setting (so not a competitive pub quiz type setting) is in a round of 10 have 

5 easy questions

3 tough questions

2 very hard questions

(not in that order)

And even the very hard should be something you could at least guess at. Like V4E says if you can’t even guess then it’s boring. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Norwegian army was led by Harald Hardrada and Tostig Godwinson. 

I'm into all that stuff. 

Tostig was definitely an answer. Leofwine was another and can’t remember the other one. 

I only remember Leofwine because I told the guy “I could have guessed random names for the rest of my life and I would never have come up with that”

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

5.Is that not the continent (under the sea) that New Zealand sits on. I know it's called Zealandia but it might be known as Zealand too?

I went to a quiz once and a question  was along the lines of which country owns  Zealand , the answer being Denmark

so I guess it’s just an “Island” of the coast of Denmark 

the one you are referring to is indeed Zealandia , so the question is wrong if this is indeed the correct answer :) 

Edited by tonyh29

14 minutes ago, BOF said:
  Hide contents

1.Costa Rica
2.Hawaii?
3.France or USA (I'll go France)
4.Does it include passengers passing through and not disembarking? So somewhere like Frankfurt or Abu Dhabi?
6.New York
7.I'll go with South Sudan, unless name changes also count, in which case I'll say it's Eswatini.
8.No idea. Yellowstone.
9.Antarctica

7/9

Spoiler

Airport is atlanta

zealand is in Netherlands (zeeland is in Denmark)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to a quiz once and a quetion was along the lines of which country owns  Zealand , the answer being Denmark

Answered in spoiler, I offered half a point for Denmark but it’s not strictly correct

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to a quiz once and a quetion was along the lines of which country owns  Zealand , the answer being Denmark

the one you are referring to is indeed Zealandia , so the question is wrong if this is indeed the correct answer :) 

Ah yes I forgot about the Danish one, but mentioning NZ in a question about the Danish one would be quite cruel!

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

7/9

Hide contents

Airport is atlanta

zealand is in Netherlands (zeeland is in Denmark)

Better than I expected :thumb:

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Geography from last week from what I can remember 

1) which country translates in English as the rich coast

2) what was the last state to add its star on the American flag

3) in 2019 which country had the most international visitors / tourists

4) measured by number of passengers which is the busiest / largest airport in the world

5) where is Zealand (as in "New Zealand") - but half a point if you get the other one ;)

6) what city was formerly known as New Amsterdam 

7) what's the newest country to be recognised by the UN

😎 what is the world's first recognised national park

9) where is the largest desert in the world? 

I like to think I'm good at geography. Here goes...

...1. Costa Rica

2. Alaska

3. China

4. Atlanta, GA

5. The Netherlands

6. New York City

7. South Sudan

8. a) I want to say the one in Kenya. I forget the name. 

b) Yellowstone

9. Antarctica

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ah yes I forgot about the Danish one, but mentioning NZ in a question about the Danish one would be quite cruel!

True ... but then he just gave the answer as Netherlands :)

Yeah the spoiler was the wrong way round, Zealand is in Denmark but New Zealand is named after zeeland in the Netherlands

i seem to remember the Netherlands is a collection of states or counties or whatever they call them, Holland is one, zeeland is another, The Hague is another....that might be bollocks though 

@maqroll 8/9 - the most international tourists is France, China is 2nd, USA 3rd I think

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah the spoiler was the wrong way round, Zealand is in Denmark but New Zealand is named after zeeland in the Netherlands

i seem to remember the Netherlands is a collection of states or counties or whatever they call them, Holland is one, zeeland is another, The Hague is another....that might be bollocks though 

@maqroll 8/9 - the most international tourists is France, China is 2nd, USA 3rd I think

I was vacillating between the two, bastard! 

Deal another hand, @villa4europe

My step daughter has arranged an online quiz for Friday, at least a dozen of the family are involved.

They all know I very rarely lose at this shit...and you know I'm going to have a nightmare :(

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

My step daughter has arranged an online quiz for Friday, at least a dozen of the family are involved.

They all know I very rarely lose at this shit...and you know I'm going to have a nightmare :(

I get this. When you're the fast gun, every punk who wants to make a name for himself rides into town... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I get this. When you're the fast gun, every punk who wants to make a name for himself rides into town... 

The quiz planet one we play let’s you pick a category from a choice and randomly selects one that someone has picked 

Rather than pick their strong subject my mates essentially pick category’s they think I will be crap at like beauty and fashion or celebs and hope they can fluke some answer that I won’t 

it’s rather flattering g to be targeted  and on the plus side I’m learning a lot about celebs I’ve never heard of :) 

On 17/05/2020 at 19:13, villa4europe said:

Doing a zoom quiz with my mates, take it in turns asking the questions, last week I had geography and maybe went a bit too hard, it's lads trying to pass time rather than seasoned quizzers..this week I've got films which is a mixed bag, this is what I'm thinking - 

1) what's baby's real name in dirty dancing? 

2) what colour pill does neo choose in the matrix? 

3) what is the pre war occupation of Tom Hanks character in saving private Ryan? 

4) what is the trilogy name given to Sean of the Dead, hot fuzz and the world's end? 

5) in which city were the winter Olympics in cool running? 

6) what's the name of the piggy Bank in toy story? 

7) in which film would you find nakatomi plaza? 

😎 which James bond film was pulled forward in the release sequence due to the success of star wars? 

9) in which film would you find ecto 1?

10) who was the only actor to get an Oscar nomination in the LOTR trilogy? 

Think I've got 3 or 4.

Â