The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Answers 

Hide contents

1. The Coral (Razorlight had a hit with the same title but a year later)

2. Alan Shearer

3. Uruguay

4. Internet Service Provider

5. Penelope Pitstop

Ha YES, got 2 out of 5, over the moon with that

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Answers 

Reveal hidden contents

1. The Coral (Razorlight had a hit with the same title but a year later)

2. Alan Shearer

3. Uruguay

4. Internet Service Provider

5. Penelope Pitstop

4/5 and there was me thinking Fray Bentos was in aisle 11. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Heard a good one the other day

Which company holds the Record for producing the greatest number of tyres in a year ?

Reveal hidden contents

the answer is Lego , well googled anyone that got it right

:) 

Who ever it was clearly had a good year 🤭

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Which company holds the Record for producing the greatest number of tyres in a year ?

Hide contents

I guessed right!

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, Xela said:

1) Which band had a hit with "In the Morning" in 2005

DON'T KNOW

2) Who has scored the most goals in the history of the Premier League

DON'T KNOW

3) What country would you be in if you were in Fray Bentos

URAGUAY

4) What does the acronym ISP stand for?

INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER

5) Who drove the Compact Pussycat in the Wacky Races

PENELOPE PITSTOP

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I had rather a thing  about Penelope Pittstop As a younger man, also the receptionist in Hong Kong Fuey, 911 can I help you

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Minifigure production was due to overtake the global population last year too

if anyone hasnt seen it already watch the toys that made us

This week's quiz has a different format. All the answers are provided, all you have to do is match them up to the questions. 

Match the 46 answers I have provided to these questions including the Tie break.

1. Who 1856–1950 wrote “You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?”? 

2. Who 1896–1954 said, ‘Education is the process of casting false pearls before real swine.’? 

3. Who 1854-1900 wrote, “Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.”? 

4. Who 1879-1955 said, ‘It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.’? 

5. Born 1847 died1931 who said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration."? 

6. With an area of 39,315sq mi which is the second largest island of Europe? 

7. Spitsbergen is the largest and only permanently populated island of the Svalbard archipelago in the north of which country? 

8. The Arctic island Severny is the northern island of the Novaya Zemlya archipelago in which country? 

9. The island of Zealand is part of which country? 

10. The island of Gotland is part of which Scandinavian country? 

11. With 274 gold medals which team is ranked 4th  on the all time Summer Olympic medal list? 

12. In the 1994 Winter Olympics, how many athletes represented Israel? 

13. How old was Linford Christie when he won 100m gold in Barcelona (a record age)? 

14. With a population exceeding one billion people, how many medals did India win at the 2008 Beijing games their best ever performance at the games? 

15. Which city hosted the first Olympic Games in which women were allowed to participate? 

16. How do we now know the European capital which King Christian IV named Christiana after it was rebuilt following a fire in 1624? 

17. On the morning of 10 May 1940, four British warships anchored in the harbour beginning the allied occupation of which European capital? 

18. At the intersection of the Baltic Sea and lake Mälaren is an archipelago site where the Old Town of where was first built from about 1000 CE by Vikings? 

19. In major competitions over how many days is the decathlon contested? 

20. In 1924, which country hosted the first Winter Olympic Games? 

21. How many medals did Germany win in the 2002 Winter Olympic Games? 

22. In which 1986 film is Ellen Ripley rescued by a deep salvage team after being in 
hyper-sleep for 57years?  

23. In which 2013 film do Two astronauts work together to survive after an accident leaves them stranded in space? 

24. A rodent who can cook makes an unusual alliance with a young kitchen worker at a famous restaurant in which 2007 film? 

25. In which 1990 film is a famous author rescued from a car crash, by a fan of his novels, beginning a nightmare of captivity and abuse? 

26. Friends on a camping holiday discover that the town is being plagued in an unusual fashion by parasitic aliens from outer space in which 2003 film? 

27. Fenway Park baseball park located near Kenmore Square since 1912, has been the home to which city’s baseball team and since 1953, its only Major League Baseball franchise? 

28. Which flower does Prince Charles collect as rent for the Isles of Scilly? 

29. By what name is the plant myosotis from Ancient Greek μυοσωτίς "mouse's ear", more commonly known? 

30. Which blue flower of the genus Veronica is also the name of the ship which was to accompany the Mayflower with the Pilgrim Fathers? 

31. Which flower had been known under various names was named Galanthus in 1753? 

32. Lathyrus odoratus is a flowering plant used in early experiments in genetics, by what name is this flower better known? 

33. Who played the title role in the 1979 film The Rose, loosely based on the life story of the Rock singer Janis Joplin? 

34. Who 1902-1968 wrote the short story "The Chrysanthemums" first published in 1937 before being included as part of the collection The Long Valley 1938? 

35. First published in 1943 Our Lady of the Flowers (Notre-Dame-des-Fleurs) is the debut novel of which French writer 1910-1986? 

36. La Dame aux Camélias (literally The Lady with the Camellias, commonly known in English as Camille) first published in 1848 is a novel by who 1824-1895? 

37. The Name of the Rose was the 1980 debut novel of which author 1932-2016? 

38. Who had a 1978 UK No5 hit with an arrangement of "MacArthur Park"? 

39. Who 1930-2002 made their film debut as Lover in the 1959 comedy film Alive and Kicking? 

40. Which small bird with a loud voice has the binomial scientific name Troglodytes troglodytes and is the UK’s most common breeding bird? 

41. What is the common name of Passer domesticus which the RSPB lists red (threatened)?  

42. The UK's unofficial national bird, Erithacus rubecula, is commonly known as what?  

43. With c. 6,000,000 breeding pairs Turdus merula is one of the most common UK birds. What is its common name? 

44. What is the common name of Sturnus vulgaris which engages in a pre-roost assembly, known as a murmuration? 

45. The moth ‘Angle shades’ (Phlogophora meticulosa) was first described by who in his 1758 10th edition of Systema Naturae? 

Tie break - How old was Christian IV when he succeeded to the throne on the death of his father on 4 April 1588? 

ANSWERS: 

Daffodil
John Steinbeck
Dreamcatcher 
Albert Einstein
Bette Midler
Snowdrop
Boston
Donna Summer
Richard Harris
Ratatouille 
Speedwell
Oscar Wilde
Misery 

House Sparrow 
Aliens 
Gravity 
George Bernard Shaw
Forget me not
Sweet Pea
Irwin Edman
Jean Genet
Thomas Alva Edison
Alexandre Dumas fils 
Umberto Eco
Robin
Blackbird
Wren 
Starling
Carl Linnaeus
Reykjavík
Denmark
France
Russia
Sweden
Paris 
Oslo
Stockholm
Great Britain 
Norway
Iceland 

I think that, with care, 100% is possible on this one. We won with 42/46 (second placed team got 35), having talked ourselves out of the correct answers for the ones we got wrong. It's just down to process of elimination - but beware, there are some Only Connect-style 'false friends' in there. 

Edited by mjmooney

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

1. Who 1856–1950 wrote “You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?”? 

I always thought this was a Robert Kennedy quote  .. so that's me not scoring 100% straight away  :blush: ..though i suppose as it's a match up quiz I might get there by process of elimination 

• 3 months later...

TIL but its a good quiz question

Which battle was the first time aircraft were used to bomb US Soil?

Spoiler

By August 29 battle was fully joined. Chafin's men, though outnumbered, had the advantage of higher positions and better weaponry. Private planes were hired to drop homemade bombs on the miners. A combination of poison gas and explosive bombs left over from World War I were dropped in several locations near the towns of Jeffery, Sharples and Blair. At least one did not explode and was recovered by the miners; it was used months later to great effect as evidence for the defense during treason and murder trials. On orders from General Billy Mitchell, Army bombers from Maryland were also used for aerial surveillance. One Martin bomber crashed on its return flight, killing the three crew members.

Battle of Blair Mountain, 1921

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

What was Introduced in 1910 by Peek Freans, of Bermondsey?

Spoiler

Bourbon biscuits

Edited by useless
Edit I just had one for the first time since childhood so decided to look it up.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

What was Introduced in 1910 by Peek Freans, of Bermondsey?

Hide contents

Bourbon biscuits

We have also been pronouncing them incorrectly. 

Â