• Baker
    • El Ahmadi
    • Tonev
    • Benteke
    • Kozak
    • Sylla
    • Lowton (for El Ahmadi 74)
    • Bowery (for Kozak 88)

Would of ended 0-0 or as a Cardiff 1-0 smash and grab if it weren't for Bacuna's world-class freekick; Kozak's goal coming with the run of play. Nothing particularly exciting about the game, just one bit of brilliance that separated the two sides; KEA still looks to be declining as trying to become a half-decent Prem midfielder and should be replaced by Delph when he is back from illness.

Guess also worth adding we kept a clean sheet for the first time in a year at home, adding to that the defence looked more solid, for once.

I thought we were rubbish until Bacuna rescued it - he would have been MotM without the free kick too - and it took moving him into our midfield to bring any life to it. I guess I learned that if we were to mysteriously lose Gabby, Weimann, Luna and Delph for the rest of the season, we'd probably go down and that Cardiff won't be far off it either. Thankfully that lot should be back soon and we've battled to a win without them. 

I think the defence are looking better, Bacuna has been very solid, Vlaar is in his best form since he arrived and Clark and Baker appear to be maturing. Up front, Kozak looks a player who'll give you what he's got; time will tell whether that's enough. Benteke will be fine when we start playing a bit more football.

Our midfield is a mess though, Bacuna was far and away our best midfielder and he was only there for fifteen minutes - KEA is probably our second best, which isn't saying much - I'm not convinced Westwood is a Premier league player and I'm not sure Sylla is either. With Delph in there we have something, but we could do with another one or two midfielders when we next get our money out.

Tonev remains possibly the least effective player I've seen - I think he touched the ball two or three time in the first half and at least two of those were attempted shots - he improved in the second half, but he's still a long way away from being a first team player for me.

Fair play to the manager, he got a win and a clean sheet out of a poor Villa side and he's made a good substitution to get us there - but this team needs players, some to come back from and injury and some new ones in the middle please.

I agree with some of what you say, but personally I believe cardiff aren't a bad side, their defence looks solid their midfield kept the ball, unfortunately for them they lack real quality in the same area we do (attacking midfield). There are lots of very average teams in the league this season, Fulham, Hull, Stoke, Norwich, West Ham and then Palace and Stoke are awful right now.  Outside the top 7 teams that only leaves Swansea, Newcastle and Baggies! They are decent but out of those three only Newcastle I would say have better players then us, the other two are on par with us and most of the rest of the league, but they are good team units!

The performance today was predictable! Tonev and Kozak still adjusting to the game here, two big men, no midfielder with real creativity and guile, we got what the teamsheet suggested.  Workman like midfield offer lots of defensive protection with two big men offering good target to aim at. This was Sylla 1st or 2nd premierl league start of the season and his pre-season was affected by injury.  People talk about Westwood being the only forward passer in midfield, but he was the deepest so he should be able to make more forward passes.  KEA is a VERY cautous passer and sometimes that invites pressure I don't like that part of his game. 

Or Squad is nicely stocked when it comes to workman like midfielders, they are premiership players, but they are only average at this level, like most of our team! Tonev is an interesting case, here we have a player that can skin a fullback with ease, and is meant to have a decent shot on him.  Unfortunately hie decision making has so far been horrendous! He could develop into a quality player, but could also be another Jesper Gronkjar!

Can't agree with your comments regarding Westwood, he was the best midfielder out of the four today. We played 4-1-3-2 and only Westwood looked impressive in my opinion, KEA is probably one of the worst central midfielders I've seen at VP, prefers to jog around the pitch than actually do any running and seems rather to 'flap' than getting stuck in with tackles, Sylla's advanced roll didn't suit his defensive attributes and Tonev, fairplay does make the effort, but crossing and shooting wise is abysmal.

Westwood's passing was practically perfect and make some important tackles as well.

• Like 1

Would of ended

*Would have

FFS. Please learn English.

I'll put this nicer.

I like to read your posts Avflife, but as a foreigner can't always follow your posts with ease. Can you make my reading a little bit easier. ;)

• Like 1

I thought Westwood was poor again. Although he DID have a shot at goal and made one very good tackle.

But that's not nearly enough.

He misplaced 1 pass all afternoon from what I can remember, which was a good attempted killer pass to Kozak, which he overhit a tad. That while passing it everywhere. Incredibly harsh.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I think we need to stick with Benteke and Kozak partnership. Why the readyness to bring a player straight back in who hasn't scored this season over one who has scored 2 goals? If Agboholahor does get back into the side its as replacement for Tonev and I;d like to see Tonev given a run in the sdie. i think thats the only way we will see what he's capable of.

Edited by PaulC

I predict a 3-0 loss every game so i'm **** delighted. 

That's more of a jinx of the other team though, not negativity :P

My dad puts a bet on the other team every week cause he never wins bets (saying that, he's started to win them recently)

• Like 1

Bacuna got my MOM, very good performance. Vlaar was also excellent. All three at the back were solid. I think both Vlaar and Clark are good with the ball, something Baker lacks, but the guy has a heart like a lion.

Dreadful first half. I think Cardiff are a very poor side, and first half we were just as poor. Half time thought we were looking at a bore draw.

Got our reward for an improved second half.

Kozak was much improved this game, as was Westwood.

We needed this win so badly!

• Like 2

Nice to win when we didn't play well. Plenty of times we play well and lose. Not that Cardiff deserved to win, it was pretty even.

I think we should stick 2 up front. First 15 minutes it looked dangerous, and then second half it looked decent aswell. Having Kozak up there took some of the heat off Benteke, and Kozak was better today then he has been - I think he is better with a partner rather than as a lone striker.

What I really liked was our shape second half, with Tonev play wide and giving us some genuine width for once, sticking to the touch line. We then had 2 centre-mids and one on the right hand side tucking in to make a 3. This worked even better when Bacuna played right midfield, as he was comfortable wide and inside. 

I think Kozak has done enough to keep his place, but I suspect Gabby will play wide left if fit, instead of Tonev. KEA should be rested and Lowton can come in and play with behind Bacuna. The only question then is if Delph is fit, which 2 play out of Delph, Westwood and Sylla.....I think Delph and Westwood might be too lightweight....

Were we that bad anyway ?!

I think we were nervous + The change was made in time .. But we played good .. It's just that possession game isn't ours !

We really need to start scoring .. Whenever we score first or be up .. We play better football ..

I think we need to stick with Sylla + Tonev + Lowton .. I'd also consider playing Clark on the LB atm ..

I'd only consider getting Gabby and Delph to the team .. instead of KEA and maybe Kozak .. With playing one of Lowton or Tonev ..

Â