• Kozak
    • Sylla
    • Lowton (for El Ahmadi 74)
    • Bowery (for Kozak 88)

Less than 4 hours after a win.

Villa talk has been full of complaints about home form: Home win

Villa talk has been full of complaints about lack of goals: Scored 2

Villa talk has been full of complaints about leaking goals: Clean sheet

Villa talk has been full of complaints about poor quality in our summer signings: two of them score

Less than 4 hours later and posters are complaining about our dismal performance.

Strangely, I find it both baffling and predictable.

What?

A very good result today. When I heard Delph was to be out, I was worried how well we would do without him. Villa started well for the first 10-15 and then the rest of the 1st half was fairly turgid stuff. Cardiff had too much of the ball but other than the half chance  they did not really threaten. Bacuna goal was much needed and the team relaxed and played well after this. Kozak put in a shift today and was pleased with his goal, but I am concerned about his foot speed. Benteke was kept quiet by Cardiff and this is the first time that he is being questioned at Villa. I expect a response soon from him. Vlaar was again solid but Clark was poor- perhaps he was scared by Keane watching him. Lowton coming on gave us a bid more width. A win, a clean sheet at home can't be sniffed at, regardless of the overall peformance.

I guess I learned that if we were to mysteriously lose Gabby, Weimann, Luna and Delph for the rest of the season, we'd probably go down and that Cardiff won't be far off it either. 

I didn't see the match today, unfortunately, but I popped into the thread to see what everyone was thinking also because I knew there would be a gif of Bacuna's free kick waiting for me. From the position of a Villa fan who didn't see the game, scoring two goals and keeping a clean sheet at home against a team 13th in the Premiership with the amount of injuries we have is a great result.

However, I find posts like the above surprising (post simply picked because it was the most recent). Was it really so bad today that you think without those players coming back this team that just won the game is worse than Fulham, Sunderland and Crystal Palace? And that we're worse than Cardiff, despite being above them in the table and the players in question just beating Cardiff 2-0?

I just find it amazing that we've reached the top half and people are moaning about how crap we are, whereas last season we were playing attacking football and nearly got relegated...and people were moaning about how crap we were. Either the results tell a story or they don't, right? You can't complain about results when we're losing, then disregard them when we're winning. 

I get what you're saying - we're a strange team this year - I tend to try not to get too carried away with results, because ultimately if the levels of performance are there and the quality is there, then results will come - sooner or later good sides win and bad sides lose.

Except that's not true for us this season - we lose when we play well and we win when we play badly - I think if we did miss those players we'd be in danger, yes. I don't think we are, because those players will be back. 

The first 75 minutes of today's game were probably the worst performance of the season, yet we've won. I think over the course of a season, playing how we played today would put us in trouble, but then with the way our season's been going, it might win us the league. We're a very hard team to figure out.

We'll see I guess - hopefully, a little like last season (but from a better starting point) the team will find a pattern that works for it and we'll push on - if we do, results like today and the points they've brought us will be important, and performances like today's won't.

You can't complain about results when we're losing, then disregard them when we're winning.

I don't believe Scott can be accused of doing either of those - what he tends to do is give his honest opinion about the performance regardless of the result and his honest opinion of the result regardless of the performance.

Would that there were more of that.

I thought we were rubbish until Bacuna rescued it - he would have been MotM without the free kick too - and it took moving him into our midfield to bring any life to it. I guess I learned that if we were to mysteriously lose Gabby, Weimann, Luna and Delph for the rest of the season, we'd probably go down and that Cardiff won't be far off it either. Thankfully that lot should be back soon and we've battled to a win without them. 

I think the defence are looking better, Bacuna has been very solid, Vlaar is in his best form since he arrived and Clark and Baker appear to be maturing. Up front, Kozak looks a player who'll give you what he's got; time will tell whether that's enough. Benteke will be fine when we start playing a bit more football.

Our midfield is a mess though, Bacuna was far and away our best midfielder and he was only there for fifteen minutes - KEA is probably our second best, which isn't saying much - I'm not convinced Westwood is a Premier league player and I'm not sure Sylla is either. With Delph in there we have something, but we could do with another one or two midfielders when we next get our money out.

Tonev remains possibly the least effective player I've seen - I think he touched the ball two or three time in the first half and at least two of those were attempted shots - he improved in the second half, but he's still a long way away from being a first team player for me.

Fair play to the manager, he got a win and a clean sheet out of a poor Villa side and he's made a good substitution to get us there - but this team needs players, some to come back from and injury and some new ones in the middle please.

I think you watched a different game to me. I thought Westwood, Sylla and Tonev had relatively good games. And KEA was useless. 

Football's a funny ol' game.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Yeah certainly opinions differ, I thought Sylla was useless until the change late in the game and I thought Westwood wasn't bad without being particularly good. Lambert did his job better in this game than I've given him credit for in previous games with his change of tactics in the second half.

Got to be happy with the win - much needed. Its important we take points from teams who we (dare I say it) 'should' take points from - and in my opinion West Ham and Cardiff represent that. We have a lot of injuries so that makes the win all that bit sweeter, as well as a (for once) well timed international break which should hopefully allow for one or two of our boys to rest and recoup from injuries ahead of the showdown with West Bromwich 'obsessed with the villa' Albion.

We clearly missed Delph today and I thought KEA was completely lost in the middle - the game was just passing him by. There was also a clear lack of decent link up between midfield and attack - until Lambert made the much needed switch, He made the right substitute - although we needed that at HT or around 55-60min mark, I felt.

Bacuna's fee kick was immense, our defence looked pretty solid and was great to see Baker and Clark showing their bravery whilst Vlaar finally looks like the player we all hoped he'd be - commanding, assertive and wise to every challenge that presented itself. Westy was better today - and it was refreshing to see him grabbing the ball from Guzan or the defence and try to continually make things happen. Kozak worked hi socks off and was good to see him free up some space at times for Benteke. I like Lowton as our RB, as he is so good on the ball - but having bacuna as a utility player means he cannot rest on his laurels and needs to fight for his place - that is healthy for our club and now with the exception of our defence we have (when we have a fully fit team) plenty of competition for places. Looking forward to Luna returning although Clark was solid today, as he has been when called on all season.

First half and indeed up until the goal it was far from pretty and in fact very frustrating at times - largely as the crowd could sense that Cardiff were there for the taking - but after Lambert's substitute and Bacuna's touch of class - we took complete control and could have added more.

Points on the board and rest up for the Baggies. Hopefully have Gabby back - as he was missed today. 

ps, looked like a lot of 'banter' going on in the North Stand lower with the Cardiff lot - anyone who was down there care to share their experience? I've also not seen that many old bill at the game since Blues were last here.  

Edited by roonst83

Bacuna had a dreadful opener, but since then has worked tremendously hard and found his niche in the side. I think this lad has a great attitude, a good workrate and can tuck a free kick away with the best of them.

Poor game, eclipsed by a moment of sheer beauty.

Good win. There's really not a lot to say. Cardiff were very unadventurous and handled our front 2 fairly well which made for quite a dull game. 

The one thing that seems obvious at this point is that Bacuna has to play further forward. He put in a beauty of a cross for Kozak and even without the goal I thought he was our best player. Whatever formation we play he should surely be right midfield/right wing/right attack at this point. 

Still in Holte suite celebrating the win.

To be honest it was a crap game between two crap teams until that free kick. Nice to see us beat this type of team though :-)

I saw you schmoozing the door men with your

Posted Image

T-Shirt on you big suck-up :D

Ha that shirt actually says "You clearing in the woods ! Its grim up north"
  • Like 1

I thought we were rubbish until Bacuna rescued it - he would have been MotM without the free kick too - and it took moving him into our midfield to bring any life to it. I guess I learned that if we were to mysteriously lose Gabby, Weimann, Luna and Delph for the rest of the season, we'd probably go down and that Cardiff won't be far off it either. Thankfully that lot should be back soon and we've battled to a win without them. 

I think the defence are looking better, Bacuna has been very solid, Vlaar is in his best form since he arrived and Clark and Baker appear to be maturing. Up front, Kozak looks a player who'll give you what he's got; time will tell whether that's enough. Benteke will be fine when we start playing a bit more football.

Our midfield is a mess though, Bacuna was far and away our best midfielder and he was only there for fifteen minutes - KEA is probably our second best, which isn't saying much - I'm not convinced Westwood is a Premier league player and I'm not sure Sylla is either. With Delph in there we have something, but we could do with another one or two midfielders when we next get our money out.

Tonev remains possibly the least effective player I've seen - I think he touched the ball two or three time in the first half and at least two of those were attempted shots - he improved in the second half, but he's still a long way away from being a first team player for me.

Fair play to the manager, he got a win and a clean sheet out of a poor Villa side and he's made a good substitution to get us there - but this team needs players, some to come back from and injury and some new ones in the middle please.

I agree with some of what you say, but personally I believe cardiff aren't a bad side, their defence looks solid their midfield kept the ball, unfortunately for them they lack real quality in the same area we do (attacking midfield). There are lots of very average teams in the league this season, Fulham, Hull, Stoke, Norwich, West Ham and then Palace and Stoke are awful right now.  Outside the top 7 teams that only leaves Swansea, Newcastle and Baggies! They are decent but out of those three only Newcastle I would say have better players then us, the other two are on par with us and most of the rest of the league, but they are good team units!

The performance today was predictable! Tonev and Kozak still adjusting to the game here, two big men, no midfielder with real creativity and guile, we got what the teamsheet suggested.  Workman like midfield offer lots of defensive protection with two big men offering good target to aim at. This was Sylla 1st or 2nd premierl league start of the season and his pre-season was affected by injury.  People talk about Westwood being the only forward passer in midfield, but he was the deepest so he should be able to make more forward passes.  KEA is a VERY cautous passer and sometimes that invites pressure I don't like that part of his game. 

Or Squad is nicely stocked when it comes to workman like midfielders, they are premiership players, but they are only average at this level, like most of our team! Tonev is an interesting case, here we have a player that can skin a fullback with ease, and is meant to have a decent shot on him.  Unfortunately hie decision making has so far been horrendous! He could develop into a quality player, but could also be another Jesper Gronkjar!

Interesting to hear different views on the game. Here's mine:

Positives:

- 3 points

- A win at home

- Another clean sheet

- A more aggressive formation

- Kozak and Tonev in their best games so far (with plenty more to come, imo)

- Despite little possession and a bit-part team (thanks to injuries), created the better chances and deserved the win

- We can and will play better

- Substitution of Lowton for KEA spot on.

Negatives:

- I love KEA, but - boy - he was awful today. Unsurprising that we looked much better once he departed.

MOTM: Tonev

Thought he was 100% improved on his earlier efforts for us so far. Gave us width and pace, played some nice football and was our best outlet.

Tonev was a weird one to assess today.

On one hand, I thought some of his crosses were into good areas and not too close to the keeper. On the other hand he never managed to pick out one of the strikers despite having several crosses from good positions. Tonev looked out of sync with Benteke and Kozak, maybe that will come with time or maybe his decision making just isn't that good. 

While Bacuna's free kick was brilliant, I thought it was strange that the keeper never really moved on it. Then my wife noted that with the yellow ball coming over and around the yellow wall, he probably never picked it up.

Yeah I insisted all the way back that it took a big deflection and look a bit silly now. 

It was a poor game until we scored. We looked solid but created little. Kozak and Benteke didn't work. Kozak looked pretty useless before his goal. Every goal kick/clearance that went his way you expected him to lose out. I thought Benteke looked very frustrated with Kozak. Even to the point of going for headers that were aimed Kozak's way. Hopefully Kozak's goal will give him some confidence. Lambert did right giving him the chance to come off and soak up the crowd's applause.

Tonev hit and miss but at least he had a go, offered width at times and can cross with either foot.

Centre mid fairly average. Sylla was awful 1st half but grew into it towards the game when it opened up. KEA average. Westwood average but at least looks capable of playing someone in.

Hopefully Lambert understands now that Lowton and Bacuna should both start. It's taken him long enough. Too long. Lowton offers so much going forward that we have missed. Bacuna brilliant and him and Lowton will link up well whichever way round you play them.

• Like 1

Villa talk has been full of complaints about poor quality in our summer signings: two of them score

Less than 4 hours later and posters are complaining about our dismal performance.

But it was a terrible performance  :blink: Just because there is a "W" next to the result, it doesn't mean there isn't cause for concern or criticism.

Our home form HAS been abysmal. What was the stat before today, 7 home win in 36 games. That is ghastly.

7 hours without a goal was worrying, especially when scoring goals hasnt been a problem and we have a top striker.

We didnt have a clean sheet for 10 months, again, disgraceful.

Most of the summer signings have been unimpressive. Can anyone deny that?

You cant just disagree with observations without saying why. All of those points have substance and are facts. How can any Villa fan not be concerned by them?  :wacko:

We played possibly the most direct, shit football I have seen for a long time. Aimless hoofs for 75 minutes. That is not acceptable. It isnt effective and it awful to watch. I dont mind us not being entertaining when we are winning but long ball crap doesnt win us games.

We are all Villa fans, we all love the club and have our weekends made when we win. I am thrilled with the 3 points today. But I am not deluded or going to let this win today paper over the cracks of the problems we have. I have no problem with negativity that has substance. Your post is negative and has none.

• Like 1

Guzan solid as always we are so lucky to have him.

I was really pleased with all three of Vlaar Clark and Baker, I may sound harsh on Luna but I have no problem with those three playing full time with either Clark or Baker at left back. I am so hopeful that Lowton can now get his run in the team and get his form back. If Lowts can do that then I think our defence can go on to achieve very good things this season.

Sylla was hit and miss today for me. Looked uncomfortable at times having to cover the wide areas. I think overall he is an important player for us and should keep his place.

Westwood did ok, not great, but I think that the partnership he and Sylla form with Delph is still our best combination going into the near future.

El-Ahmadi again I was left thinking he was aggressive which I like, but didn't really offer any quality. I think if Sylla Westwood and Delph are all fit for Baggies then they should all play.

Overall I was pleased with Tonev today. He was also aggressive and gave us more today. He made a terrible decision first half choosing to shoot and not play Benteke in but over 90 minutes he was ok. Against the Baggies I just think Gabby has to come back in, and I suspect it will be at the expense of 'Atomic'.

Kozak and Benteke together looked very disjointed I thought, although you know the two of them together will cause anyone a headache at times. Kozak improved second half and probably deserved his goal. Benteke missed a couple of half chances but I feel he could easily hit the target again any time soon. Kozak at least gives Lambert some kind of selection headache which is always a good thing.

For me Bacuna is our main man just at the moment. You just fancied when Lowton came on to play behind him he may be able to make something happen and so it proved. Like someone else has said, I think the combination of Lowton and Bacuna on that side could be important to us.

For me if Gabby and Delph are back fit our next line up should be 4-5-1:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Baker Clark

Bacuna Sylla Westwood Delph Agbonlahor

Benteke

It's getting there.

But it was a terrible performance  :blink: Just because there is a "W" next to the result, it doesn't mean there isn't cause for concern or criticism.

Our home form HAS been abysmal. What was the stat before today, 7 home win in 36 games. That is ghastly.

7 hours without a goal was worrying, especially when scoring goals hasnt been a problem and we have a top striker.

We didnt have a clean sheet for 10 months, again, disgraceful.

Most of the summer signings have been unimpressive. Can anyone deny that?

You cant just disagree with observations without saying why. All of those points have substance and are facts. How can any Villa fan not be concerned by them?  :wacko:

We played possibly the most direct, shit football I have seen for a long time. Aimless hoofs for 75 minutes. That is not acceptable. It isnt effective and it awful to watch. I dont mind us not being entertaining when we are winning but long ball crap doesnt win us games.

We are all Villa fans, we all love the club and have our weekends made when we win. I am thrilled with the 3 points today. But I am not deluded or going to let this win today paper over the cracks of the problems we have. I have no problem with negativity that has substance. Your post is negative and has none.

Or you could say we have won 2 of the last 4 at home? Or that we have only lost 3 in the last 8 league games? Or 4 clean sheets in the last 8? That sounds like steady progress to me. Or you could just ignore that. Direct, shit, football?  Can you remember less than 2 years ago when we had to endure Mcleish? I accept that Villa have not been playing brillant at the moment, but I would take  Lambert side any day of the week over what I had to watch under agent bluenose.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â