Weather...

Dodgyknees

21 hours ago, Genie said:

Not related to my general gripe about Glastonbury being the greatest event in the world, but more for anything like that, it must be pretty horrible being in that kind of environment in this intense heat?

Are there places to cool off? I’d end up remortgaging my house so I could afford a steady stream of chilled drinks from the bars.

Download this year was similarly hot, and can confirm it's bloody torture being out in it in a crowd all day, with no shade, and at times 45 minute long queues for water - though shorter queues for their branded cans of water at £3 a pop

The ground was so dry you could see 4-5 meter high dust clouds above the moshpits, had me crying out for the years when it was Drownload.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Genie said:

Not related to my general gripe about Glastonbury being the greatest event in the world, but more for anything like that, it must be pretty horrible being in that kind of environment in this intense heat?

Are there places to cool off? I’d end up remortgaging my house so I could afford a steady stream of chilled drinks from the bars.

Mrs Sidcow was at the tennis last week at Queens Club.  She said it was just intensely hot in the stands.  They took every opportunity to get out of the sun they could.

I think if you can stand and move around it's a but cooler than if you are sat, especially on a man made surface reflecting the heat back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mrs Sidcow was at the tennis last week at Queens Club.  She said it was just intensely hot in the stands.  They took every opportunity to get out of the sun they could.

I think if you can stand and move around it's a but cooler than if you are sat, especially on a man made surface reflecting the heat back.

And queens is a temporary stand with no roof for shade.  It's like when you watch county cricket at New Road and feel like you are getting slowly cooked. 

At least the ladies pavilion can cool you down with tea and cake.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If you know any Gammons please look out for them and give them your full support. 

This June has been declared hotter than 1976.

July is shaping up to be shit, though. 

Every time there’s a thunderstorm close by it causes the boiler thermostat to malfunction and turn the heating on. Happened again last week. Was away all week. Came back to a boiling hot house and an unnecessary expense. Gonna have to work out how to proof it against electrical storms. 

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Every time there’s a thunderstorm close by it causes the boiler thermostat to malfunction and turn the heating on. Happened again last week. Was away all week. Came back to a boiling hot house and an unnecessary expense. Gonna have to work out how to proof it against electrical storms. 

How the hell does that happen?

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Sounds like it's a crap boiler if it needs a Faraday cage to work.

It’s the thermostat, not the boiler. The portable battery powered little programmable device. It is set to “off” and manual in the summer. The (dormant) Auto settings are for “on” in the evenings with a temp of 19 degrees.  When the thunderstorms come they cause it to jump out of “off” and manual and go into auto and on and way above the 19 degree temp. It was 23 in the house and it was still telling the boiler to keep heating.  I think taking the batteries out might be the next step if more thunderstorms are forecast.

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s the thermostat, not the boiler. The portable battery powered little programmable device. It is set to “off” and manual in the summer. The (dormant) Auto settings are for “on” in the evenings with a temp of 19 degrees.  When the thunderstorms come they cause it to jump out of “off” and manual and go into auto and on and way above the 19 degree temp. It was 23 in the house and it was still telling the boiler to keep heating.  I think taking the batteries out might be the next step if more thunderstorms are forecast.

Maybe a workaround rather than a fix would be a Hive type installation so you can turn it off via the phone

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think your house is haunted.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s still very dry, not good news for this early in the summer period. 

Hammered down consistently for a good three or four hours where I am yesterday evening.

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2023 at 07:21, sidcow said:

If you know any Gammons please look out for them and give them your full support. 

This June has been declared hotter than 1976.

Didn’t seem that hot to me, only had the ceiling fan on all night a couple of times.

Â