Weather...

Dodgyknees

We've had hot weather all week. Very humid and muggy. Torrential rain over last weekend and into the start of the week. The reason I mention this is the fact that last Saturday it was lovely and sunny, had the skylights open to bet some air in. Had to pop out to drop the wife for her night out and get the kids a McDonald's, out of nowhere the biggest downpour and storm ensued whilst we were out, of course I'd left the skylights open so returned to a flooded kitchen (which is new as part of an extension we did last year). Not a great move!

• Sad 2

With the prediction that longer, hotter summers are going to be more regular in the UK should we be putting in more reservoirs/water storage? Does anyone know if it’s actually happening anywhere?

I assume over the year we get plenty of rain, it’s just a case of storing it and using it when we need it.

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

When do we just accept this is actually quite a hot country now and none of this should be a surprise. Aircon needs to start being a thing…

But isn't aircon a massive power drain, and contributor to global warning? 

I have a FB friend in the US that said that their office had aircon blasting so hard that employees were using fan heaters under their desks to stay warm. 

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

With the prediction that longer, hotter summers are going to be more regular in the UK should we be putting in more reservoirs/water storage? Does anyone know if it’s actually happening anywhere?

I assume over the year we get plenty of rain, it’s just a case of storing it and using it when we need it.

Must admit, I'd like to know how easy/difficult it would be to plug the leaks in reservoirs, which I understand is a major problem. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We had 7 drops and now its sunny. I dont think we have seen rain here for at least 6 weeks. Definite drought

Your mayor will make sure of a hosepipe ban :)

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sounds like that could lower dividends for stakeholders, so cannot be allowed 

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have a FB friend in the US that said that their office had aircon blasting so hard that employees were using fan heaters under their desks to stay warm. 

It’s madness in the US. When you walk past a shop you get blasted with the cold air-con air pumping out of the big open doors.

The massive supermarkets are really, really cold.

Hotel rooms with air com running all day long, even when people are out for the day.

If we can start producing a significant amount of renewable energy then it’s less of an issue.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When you see that every office in a city and every hot country/state has aircon blasting 24/7 it’s hard to even be bothered about the UK’s potential contribution in that area for a few months a year. Ive lived out of the UK for 7 of the last 10 years and although it’s lovely to come back to a country that actually cares about the environment from a purely aesthetic and cleanliness perspective, whilst the rest of the world exists it’s completely pointless. It’s basically a small handful of relatively insignificant countries that seem to actually give a shit. Most countries just loooove disposable plastic wrapped in disposable plastic for absolutely everything. I think it might have been Sean Lock who said it’s like bringing a dustpan and brush to a hurricane. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

They'd rather us swim in shit than pay shareholders less. 

I doubt ensuring we've enough water is high on their to do list. 

• Sad 1

Ffs! 

Just got scared the shit out of, fast asleep then a huge bolt of lightening smashed really close to the house knocking out the electric. Thunder galore as well. 

Like being in the opening titles of The Prisoner. 

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Ffs! 

Just got scared the shit out of, fast asleep then a huge bolt of lightening smashed really close to the house knocking out the electric. Thunder galore as well. 

Like being in the opening titles of The Prisoner. 

Big thunder storm here too, about 2:30am, daughter woke up in tears. Just as the storm seemed to pass there was a second act. 

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Big thunder storm here too, about 2:30am, daughter woke up in tears. Just as the storm seemed to pass there was a second act. 

A fabulous storm here last night and about time too.

Got woken up at around 2am to thunder so loud that you thought the roof of the house might come in with it!

Some lovely displays of sheet and fork lightening too. Sat up till 3am watching the grand display.

Now out in the garden.. muggy and sticky as hell again!. Thankfully though, another huge storm forcast for this afternoon! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm envious of these storms, I love 'em. 

We've not had so much as a faint rumble here. 

I'm hoping that when I'm in the office on Monday and Tuesday with a bird eye 360° panoramic view of Brum Horizon to Horizon we get a belter. 

I also hope the lightning conductors on the top of the building are highly efficient 🌩️😁

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm hoping that when I'm in the office on Monday and Tuesday with a bird eye 360° panoramic view of Brum Horizon to Horizon we get a belter. 

I also hope the lightning conductors on the top of the building are highly efficient 🌩️😁

One place I used to work was on a brownfield site, with a fair bit of waste ground outside. We had this one storm right overhead. Quite apart from the earsplitting bangs and the building shaking, we could watch lightning bolts thwacking into the ground right outside the window. I was glad I wasn't outside, but it was a spectacular show. 

• Like 1

Â