Weather...

Dodgyknees

Windows open, loft hatch open, multiple fans going and the thermostat in the bedroom still read 29c when I got up at 6am.

I've got to take the lad to a birthday party at an inside play centre this evening and they don't have air conditioning. Going to be hell in more ways than one. 

I was out working last night before I went to bed and the advantage of living on the coast became obvious just from monitoring the temperature in the car.

So at 11pm Just North of the city centre, the temperature was still 30C and probably a degree or two higher in the belly of the beast itself

As I drove home Northwards, the temperature was falling as I drove away from the city and by the time I got home it was as low as 24C

Slept fine, didn't need to get the fan out

46 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Windows open, loft hatch open, multiple fans going and the thermostat in the bedroom still read 29c when I got up at 6am.

I've got to take the lad to a birthday party at an inside play centre this evening and they don't have air conditioning. Going to be hell in more ways than one. 

I think thats madness taking your kid if there is no AC tbh mate

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Met office had 29, BBC were saying up to 40.

It topped out at… 33

which if you were being generous is middling between the two.

As it happens, I’ve ended up in Nottingham anyway.

BBC was pretty much bang on at every time of day here.  Topped out at 37.  I guess may have been 38 at times, not sure how accurate the thermometer I was using is though. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think thats madness taking your kid if there is no AC tbh mate

It's the whole class attending and a joint birthday party for multiple kids, of which he is one and there's no option to postpone.

Not taking him isn't really a choice but lot's of discussion has occurred between all the mums. 

They have large fans going and large warehouse style doors open. They're confident the heat is manageable. 

It was flitting between 29 and 30 in my bedroom when I went to sleep. No fan either as the idkwtchn (trademark @El Zen) and the baby had the use of the two fans. 

But surprisingly I slept fairly well. Woke up quite literally in a pool of sweat, but still

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It's the whole class attending and a joint birthday party for multiple kids, of which he is one and there's no option to postpone.

Not taking him isn't really a choice but lot's of discussion has occurred between all the mums. 

They have large fans going and large warehouse style doors open. They're confident the heat is manageable. 

Hope all works out ok mate. Quite suprised alot of thw parents didnt reschedule to a less hit day. If it hits 40c and there are is no AC its gonna be a sauna

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I didn't think of opening the loft hatch. Bugger.

My cardboard/blanket experiment was paying off yesterday. It was up to 37.5 outside, but the hottest the house got was 26.5. Up until about 18:00 it was only 23 in here, but it hit some windows I thought would be ok with the blinds. Couldn't be more wrong.

At night I opened all the windows and curtains and put some fans on, but this morning it was still 24. Could be a rough day today.

I was saying to Mrs Sidcow, the ambient temperature in the house we are starting from today is a good 5 degrees hotter than yesterday.

Yesterday we managed to keep a good lid on the heat inside the house - it felt SO much cooler inside than it was outside.  I am not sure it's going to feel cool and cave like so much today.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I was saying to Mrs Sidcow, the ambient temperature in the house we are starting from today is a good 5 degrees hotter than yesterday.

Yesterday we managed to keep a good lid on the heat inside the house - it felt SO much cooler inside than it was outside.  I am not sure it's going to feel cool and cave like so much today.

Was just thinking this myself. It feels alot hotter alreafy this morning than yesterday

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hope all works out ok mate. Quite suprised alot of thw parents didnt reschedule to a less hit day. If it hits 40c and there are is no AC its gonna be a sauna

Too many people are off on holiday as soon as the kids break up and it's the last chance they get to all be together until September. It'll be fine as they'll be loads of water/drinks provided and the kids will all be guzzling slush puppies. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Too many people are off on holiday as soon as the kids break up and it's the last chance they get to all be together until September. It'll be fine as they'll be loads of water/drinks provided and the kids will all be guzzling slush puppies. 

Yea was gonna say make sure alot of water! 

Â