Getting older

villaguy

The blind stage if quite scary and its a stumbling block for the vast majority.

But you can blast through it and come out the other side if you’re brave and redouble your efforts.

I’ve got the eyesight of a **** golden eagle now.

8 hours ago, Chine said:

Getting old or going round the twist ? I took our ring doorbell into the kitchen to charge it up yesterday , I charge it camera side down so it doesn’t keep alerting me with its little jingle that someone has been detected, it had been charging for a few hours so I turned it over to check on its progress. My phone was on the dining room table and started its person detection jingle , I proceeded to put down the doorbell and go and open the front door ,I looked up and down the road and no one in sight , I came back into the kitchen puzzled as to why it went off , then I realised 

Power went out a few weeks ago. Had been casting our UECL game from my iPad to the TV and battery was draining. Thought, well I've got no internet, no phone signal (was on roaming, wifi only), etc., might as well charge up my iPad for the second half. My iPad is wonky and sometimes it doesn't charge with certain cables or USB bases. Playing around with the cables for a good minute or two before I realized why no charge was going through.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Xann said:

Poundland, 3 readers for £3.

Will get some proper specs when I've mastered the art of not breaking them.

I've got some prescription reading specs currently held together by wire. I've spent 2 years promising myself I'd go for a new test and get a new pair. 

Don't know why I don't just do it. 

Generally it's good advice not to put your glasses down on a chair. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Generally it's good advice not to put your glasses down on a chair. 

That's a killer.

The drop from the kitchen surface to the tile floor is another one.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 12:36, Chine said:

Getting old or going round the twist ? I took our ring doorbell into the kitchen to charge it up yesterday , I charge it camera side down so it doesn’t keep alerting me with its little jingle that someone has been detected, it had been charging for a few hours so I turned it over to check on its progress. My phone was on the dining room table and started its person detection jingle , I proceeded to put down the doorbell and go and open the front door ,I looked up and down the road and no one in sight , I came back into the kitchen puzzled as to why it went off , then I realised 

Can I ask - why didn't you just take the battery out of the doorbell to charge instead of removing the whole doorbell?

6 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Can I ask - why didn't you just take the battery out of the doorbell to charge instead of removing the whole doorbell?

Stepping in as @Chine might not respond immediately. Non hardwired Ring doorbells have self contained batteries and charging is via usb into the entire unit. You can't remove the batteries, you unscrew the entire doorbell 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Stepping in as @Chine might not respond immediately. Non hardwired Ring doorbells have self contained batteries and charging is via usb into the entire unit. You can't remove the batteries, you unscrew the entire doorbell 

👍

15 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

It’s just 2 small screws on the bottom and then unhooks from the backplate , only a 1 minute job

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Found a grey hair in my beard.

Oh well, guess it's better than finding ginger ones there.

If you've found your first one at 40, you've done well. 

50% of my beard is grey now!

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2023 at 06:47, Rugeley Villa said:

I think I need glasses 

I got some readers a few years ago ruge, couldn't see the mm on the tape measure any more :)

Go get a check at the opticians. Mine cost about £30 IIRC. I don't need glasses glasses yet but my eyesight is deteriating with small text in close up.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2023 at 13:32, Chine said:

It’s just 2 small screws on the bottom and then unhooks from the backplate , only a 1 minute job

kenneth-williams-ooof.gif

• Haha 4

Birthday parties, who'd have 'em? 

I think I mentioned in one of the music threads that I was putting together a playlist for my 'significant' birthday party next year. That was the easy bit. 

Having booked venue, catering and live band, I obviously realised I need to get enough people to turn up to make it worthwhile. So I made a big list of people, some of whom I've known since I was at school, and sent out initial invitations. Very good response so far, but... 

You'd think at our age, these things wouldn't have to be considered, but some of the guests haven't seen each other for a very long time - and there are plenty of buried social landmines. 

Amusingly (or not) I'm having to remember who was shagging whom, 40 or 50 years ago. More to the point, who was shagging whose 'other half' - who will probably be present. I can already forsee at least three potentially awkward confrontations. It's turning into an Alan Ayckbourn play. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Birthday parties, who'd have 'em? 

I think I mentioned in one of the music threads that I was putting together a playlist for my 'significant' birthday party next year. That was the easy bit. 

Having booked venue, catering and live band, I obviously realised I need to get enough people to turn up to make it worthwhile. So I made a big list of people, some of whom I've known since I was at school, and sent out initial invitations. Very good response so far, but... 

You'd think at our age, these things wouldn't have to be considered, but some of the guests haven't seen each other for a very long time - and there are plenty of buried social landmines. 

Amusingly (or not) I'm having to remember who was shagging whom, 40 or 50 years ago. More to the point, who was shagging whose 'other half' - who will probably be present. I can already forsee at least three potentially awkward confrontations. It's turning into an Alan Ayckbourn play. 

I think we need video surveillance to be streamed live on VT :D 

• Haha 2

Â