Getting older

villaguy

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was that a Midlands thing? I never really encountered it anywhere else

Happens all over the place. Used to be at least a couple of my locals in Wigan and Bolton that had blokes coming round with tubs of cockles and whelks etc.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Possibly. Friday or Saturday night the fishman would trawl the pubs. Cockles, mussels, prawns, roll mops. 

Ah just seen "else" so ignore the explainer. 

Edited by Seat68

Just now, Risso said:

Happens all over the place. Used to be at least a couple of my locals in Wigan and Bolton that had blokes coming round with tubs of cockles and whelks etc.

Were they laughed at for not having pies :D 

They used to sell the strangest tiny brown prawns

As a kid, barely 18 I went on a healthy drinking session around Oakengates with some older gentlemen. Drank more than I should but within my tolerances. I had a tub of whelks and threw up all the way home. To this day I blame the whelks. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As a kid, barely 18 I went on a healthy drinking session around Oakengates with some older gentlemen. Drank more than I should but within my tolerances. I had a tub of whelks and threw up all the way home. To this day I blame the whelks. 

At least you came home Alive, Alive Oh!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Dogshit in the street is a big one. Not that it's gone altogether but it was almost a daily occurrence as a kid that we'd walk it through the house after stepping in it on the way home from school. 

In the city centre it's now been replaced by human shit mind. 

Kids playing on the street. But I think there's a few layers to that one. I specifically mean the fact that households are now often 3 cars instead of 1, so housing estate roads are rammed with parked cars. On the odd occasions I drive back to where I grew up, I lament the fact you couldn't play on those roads even if you wanted to. And obviously with 3 car households comes more moving traffic. So times have moved on. The days of 3 and in, rounders, 40-40 etc being played outside your house are probably gone forever.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

Kids playing on the street. But I think there's a few layers to that one. I specifically mean the fact that households are now often 3 cars instead of 1, so housing estate roads are rammed with parked cars. On the odd occasions I drive back to where I grew up, I lament the fact you couldn't play on those roads even if you wanted to. And obviously with 3 car households comes more moving traffic. So times have moved on. The days of 3 and in, rounders, 40-40 etc being played outside your house are probably gone forever.

I used to live right next to the park.

We'd get home from School, eat tea then be out in the park playing till it was dark.  Jumpers for goalposts etc.

We did have to spend a lot of time dodging paedophiles and getting beat up by rough kids for the estate but it was character building as hell.

One thing I've notice growing up in the city is I can spot a wrong un at 100 paces.  More than once I've prompted my "grew up in the country" wife to cross the road when I've spotted something and she's said she had absolutely no idea.  City kids need eyes in the back of their head.  I scan the street like a SAMPSON radar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I used to live right next to the park.

We'd get home from School, eat tea then be out in the park playing till it was dark.  Jumpers for goalposts etc.

We did have to spend a lot of time dodging paedophiles and getting beat up by rough kids for the estate but it was character building as hell.

One thing I've notice growing up in the city is I can spot a wrong un at 100 paces.  More than once I've prompted my "grew up in the country" wife to cross the road when I've spotted something and she's said she had absolutely no idea.  City kids need eyes in the back of their head.  I scan the street like a SAMPSON radar.

Same in the pub as well, wrong un alert saved me a few times, in various boozers. Last one Briar Rose madman looking for fight,  I gave him the slip and he proceeded to pick on a group of about 10 blokes, 2pm on a Friday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Were they laughed at for not having pies :D 

They used to sell the strangest tiny brown prawns

Always queue the comment from some witty fellow along the lines of have you got any crabs on you cock

11 minutes ago, tinker said:

Same in the pub as well, wrong un alert saved me a few times, in various boozers. Last one Briar Rose madman looking for fight,  I gave him the slip and he proceeded to pick on a group of about 10 blokes, 2pm on a Friday!

Yeah, I keep telling my lad he needs to keep his wits about him on a night out.  Need to avoid the nutters who will always be out in force after the beer has been flowing.

3 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

@Xela, you been drinking in town again, mate

I've done many things that people might find disgusting, but i've never laid brown cable on a pubic footpath. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

i've never laid brown cable on a pubic footpath. 

Is this a misspelling or a Freudian slip? 

• Haha 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Is this a misspelling or a Freudian slip? 

:ph34r:

Erm..a spelling mistake of course! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

We used to get one in the pub car park opposite where we worked , cockles and whelks on a Friday FTW

couple of years back the BBC were filming one of those house transition shows in the street nearby and had their BBC catering truck in the car park , we sent someone from the office over to ask them for cockles and whelks much to the bewilderment of the BBC crew 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

Â