What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

I found this photo interesting. Just shows how big cars are getting. Ok i know its an 80's supermini against modern SUVs but still! 

vLWpOWJ.jpg

My current Skoda shares the same platform as the current VW Polo but is 400mm longer and 100mm wider than my old Golf. 

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I found this photo interesting. Just shows how big cars are getting. Ok i know its an 80's supermini against modern SUVs but still! 

vLWpOWJ.jpg

Safety innit. Still amazing though. A lad in my job drives a Citroen CX which, back in the day, was one of the biggest family cars you could buy. Yet it's tiny now beside fairly modestly sized modern cars. Still a beauty though. 

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

Safety innit. Still amazing though. A lad in my job drives a Citroen CX which, back in the day, was one of the biggest family cars you could buy. Yet it's tiny now beside fairly modestly sized modern cars. Still a beauty though. 

A CX? Not many of those left that haven't rotted away! Smooth drive though. 

I'm trying to find another photo I saw recently of an old Volvo 240 estate next to a modern family Honda hatchback. The Volvo looked small!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

A CX? Not many of those left that haven't rotted away! Smooth drive though. 

I'm trying to find another photo I saw recently of an old Volvo 240 estate next to a modern family Honda hatchback. The Volvo looked small!

Funnily enough, a local (old) lad to me drives a mint saloon Volvo 240. Lovely yoke.

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm assuming parking spaces have remained the same size? I'm not a 28 inch waist anymore so if anyone parks next to me in a car park, i'm like Stretch Armstrong, trying to squeeze out of the door! 

I don't think they're a standard size so are basically whatever size the people who own the car park want to make them. My local shopping centre car park has repainted lots of the lines because they're now just too small.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I don't think they're a standard size so are basically whatever size the people who own the car park want to make them. My local shopping centre car park has repainted lots of the lines because they're now just too small.

There's a minimum of 4.8m x 2.4m

They can make them bigger

Or if youre a multistory in the centre of brum you can stick a concrete column in the middle

Trick of the trade if you're ever doing an external works take off with no proper scale or dims you can take the length of the parking space as a rough 5m (if you're doing inside you take a single door opening as 1m double as 2m) it'll give you enough to get by 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's that time again. I am 3 years into a 4 year PCP deal for my BMW X1. I now need a bigger car - one with 7 seats!

Probably the worst time to look for a new car and sell a car. Prices have gone down massively just in the last week. My options are:

1. Get to the 50% mark and give the car back

2. Part ex

3. See if the lender will let me sell it privately

For the next car I've looked at the following:

1. Buy a Skoda Kodiaq (New) on PCP

2. Buy a used Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90 with a mixture of cash and a bank loan

I am thinking in this current environment it might be better to have a car that I can sell rather than be stuck in a finance deal. Am I missing something? Anyone been in the same position?

On 25/09/2020 at 21:59, villa4europe said:

Am I the only one who thinks BMW have absolutely murdered their cars with the new front grill design? 

That's a non starter for me, ugly as **** 

2rwBE6G.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/11/2020 at 14:57, omariqy said:

It's that time again. I am 3 years into a 4 year PCP deal for my BMW X1. I now need a bigger car - one with 7 seats!

Probably the worst time to look for a new car and sell a car. Prices have gone down massively just in the last week. My options are:

2. Part ex

I am thinking in this current environment it might be better to have a car that I can sell rather than be stuck in a finance deal. Am I missing something? Anyone been in the same position?

Recently, I paid the sum to get me to 50% and voluntarily terminated 

I might be wrong here but my understanding is that PCP rates are usually varying depending on make and model, for example I was sniffing around a golf gti for years but they were always around 7% so when I ended up getting an S4 at 2% the monthly payments were cheaper despite the S4 being about £16k more expensive, if you find a car that is due a new edition next year then you might get a lower rate right now

Also use car wow, great website, you say what you want they show it to dealers and they compete for your business, I punch in black S4 and 10+ audi dealerships all round the country say what they can do for me and how low they can go, saves you from haggling 

• Thanks 1

Would it be best to buy a car brand new, or buy a better car that has done <5000 miles? We've been eyeing up a Kia Sportage/Renault Kadjar new, but have found a BMW Active Tourer for the same price that has done 3k miles. I am terrible when it comes to cars.

12 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Would it be best to buy a car brand new, or buy a better car that has done <5000 miles? We've been eyeing up a Kia Sportage/Renault Kadjar new, but have found a BMW Active Tourer for the same price that has done 3k miles. I am terrible when it comes to cars.

You will probably get differing views but i'd never buy a new car. Let someone else take the depreciation hit, and a used car is likely to have had any minor snags fixed by the first owner. 

The flip side of that is that new cars have warranties etc but assuming you are buying nearly new then there should still be some warranty left, depending on the marque. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

You will probably get differing views but i'd never buy a new car. Let someone else take the depreciation hit, and a used car is likely to have had any minor snags fixed by the first owner. 

The flip side of that is that new cars have warranties etc but assuming you are buying nearly new then there should still be some warranty left, depending on the marque. 

It is from a BMW dealership so it's not third party. They said the car has been used by various people when their own car has been having work done. I'm not sure I like the sound of the tbh! But then 3k miles is obviously very little.

Edited by villarule123

34 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

It is from a BMW dealership so it's not third party. They said the car has been used by various people when their own car has been having work done. I'm not sure I like the sound of the tbh! But then 3k miles is obviously very little.

Courtesy cars are the fastest cars in the world. Right up there with a company van.

3,000 miles and BMW sounds appealing.

Pool car / courtesy car, less so.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2020 at 13:57, omariqy said:

2. Part ex

Your name on the log book with PCP so they can’t stop you selling it privately, I did it with an Audi and then paid off the agreement and kept the difference.

• Thanks 1

On 11/07/2020 at 00:24, StanBalaban said:

Decided I should probably sell my 1985 BMW Alpina, simply because it sits around not being used. Love the car, and BMW's of that era with the 'sharknose' front, but it deserves a good home.

#12 out of 77 made, so hard to determine what the market values it at though.

IMG_20200625_161407~01.jpg

Sold yesterday, and returning home to Germany. 😔

Edited by StanBalaban
The car is returning to Germany, not me

On 15/11/2020 at 16:40, TrentVilla said:

Your name on the log book with PCP so they can’t stop you selling it privately, I did it with an Audi and then paid off the agreement and kept the difference.

Thanks. I read that you had to get their permission but this is good for me. I’ll definitely get more for it private 

Â