What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

One of my friends growing up, who I was inseparable from between the ages of 13 to 22, his father and older brother built one of these from the ground up, I remember when it was just a frame. Literally the day after it was completed, the crooks who had been monitoring developments pinched it, as apparently there's a relatively easy trick to starting it once you get under the bonnet. They also had an RX7 Special Edition, but it was the RX4 that would have been the prized asset. Rotary engines flew!

Mazda RX4. One of the most criminally underrated JDM muscle cars. : Kyusha

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I've literally flip flopped from Toyota to VAG and back again every few years because every time I get a Toyota, it's brilliantly boring and reliable so I get a need for a bit of excitement and buy a sporty VAG which then gets old quickly and I long for the boringly practical and reliable Toyota.

That age I'd definitely go for the Toyota. Depending on the type, the Golf's engine will either need coilpacks, diesel pump, intake manifold or water pump at various points.

Thanks, no, I want as much driving for my initial outlay as I can get. The speed limit goes to 100km/ph at most over here, and I don't need to get to that speed a few seconds quicker to be satisfied by my purchase. It's simply so I can drive from one side of the state to the other each and every weekend for my semi professional basketball commitments.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 18:57, TrentVilla said:

I want a 911. I mean I really really want a 911. I can’t justify it but boy am I tempted.

Which version of it?

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks, no, I want as much driving for my initial outlay as I can get. The speed limit goes to 100km/ph at most over here, and I don't need to get to that speed a few seconds quicker to be satisfied by my purchase. It's simply so I can drive from one side of the state to the other each and every weekend for my semi professional basketball commitments.

If its about reliability, then its got to be the Toyota. There is a reason why they are the preferred taxi cabs in most of Asia and a lot of Europe. 

• Thanks 1

Currently driving a 2018 Kia Optima LX. Kia had a bad rep when they first came to the States, but must say hats off to them as their cars have readily improved over the past decade or so. My car runs smooth with no issues so far, and has enough of the bells and whistles to satisfy me. Plan on driving it for at least another year or longer and then trade it in for the new Ford Bronco that comes out in a few months; by that point, the Bronco should be better priced and can definetely get the color I want as well.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd love to take a 911 out for a weekend, I'd hate to drive one day to day though. I'd just be constantly worrying about it and scared to park it in public. 

You can get the 996 versions for about £15k now. Its the model I'm not keen on though! Ones before it - love em! Like the ones after the 996 as well. Its the unloved 911. Prices are probably at the bottom though and will probably start going back up. Like E36 M3's and old performance Audis. Eventually they all start to appreciate in value. 

Honda NSX is my 'realistic dream car' at the moment. An early 1990 or 91 model - in red. Perfect. Around £45k-£80k depending on condition/mileage, with the R versions well over £100k now. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd love to take a 911 out for a weekend, I'd hate to drive one day to day though. I'd just be constantly worrying about it and scared to park it in public. 

I drove a GT3 at an experience day thing, you’re only in it for like a minute or two max but it was unreal.

I also drove a Ferrari (can’t remember which model :() and an Audi R8, the Porsche was easily the most fun although the only one of the three with a manual gearbox too.

4 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Currently driving a 2018 Kia Optima LX. Kia had a bad rep when they first came to the States, but must say hats off to them as their cars have readily improved over the past decade or so. My car runs smooth with no issues so far, and has enough of the bells and whistles to satisfy me. Plan on driving it for at least another year or longer and then trade it in for the new Ford Bronco that comes out in a few months; by that point, the Bronco should be better priced and can definetely get the color I want as well.

Kia and Hyundai have improved so much in recent years. The Koreans really delivering the goods. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Any. Don’t know enough to be able to pick out what is the best buy.

911 and a Rolex... I like your style! If you can't treat yourself, then what is the point eh! Put yourself first. 

Brief overview of 911's

Pre '89 (classic) - 964 (89-93) - 993 (94-98) - These were the classic air cooled, bug eye Porsches. The 964 version is my favourite but pricey nowadays.

Then it was the water cooled ones with more modern styling:

996 (98-05) - 997 (05-12) - 991 (12-19) - 992 (19-current day)

The 996 is the most affordable by far and maybe a classic car bargain

Mat Watson of CarWow has one and did a video on it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

911 and a Rolex... I like your style! If you can't treat yourself, then what is the point eh! Put yourself first. 

Brief overview of 911's

Pre '89 (classic) - 964 (89-93) - 993 (94-98) - These were the classic air cooled, bug eye Porsches. The 964 version is my favourite but pricey nowadays.

Then it was the water cooled ones with more modern styling:

996 (98-05) - 997 (05-12) - 991 (12-19) - 992 (19-current day)

The 996 is the most affordable by far and maybe a classic car bargain

Mat Watson of CarWow has one and did a video on it. 

It’s what happens when you become single in your 40’s! Thanks for this, appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Lots of IMS bearing horror stories on the 996.

I have a 2003 Boxster S with the same bearing. Just a ticking timebomb.

Sounds expensive.... I have a Boxster which I had all sorts of issues with... from the little looking I've done I'm thinking 991.

6 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Lots of IMS bearing horror stories on the 996.

I have a 2003 Boxster S with the same bearing. Just a ticking timebomb.

The IMS problem is touched on at 4:00 onwards in this video...

On 07/01/2021 at 18:57, TrentVilla said:

I want a 911. I mean I really really want a 911. I can’t justify it but boy am I tempted.

I had one for a couple of years. Really, really disappointed with it. Wasn't nearly as much fun to drive as I'd hoped,  and loads of things kept going wrong with it. The handling was crap and so while it might have been fun on a track day, it was shit on a day to day basis. I'd gone from a BMW M3 to the Porsche, and I regretted it on a daily basis. The BMW was so much more fun to drive, and I found it better on every single level.  Faster, more agile, better build quality, cornered like you wouldn't believe and yet you could use it as a sensible family car as well.  I really, really wanted a 911 at the time, but that feeling soon passed and I'd never have another one.

15 hours ago, Xela said:

The IMS problem is touched on at 4:00 onwards in this video...

Interesting video, many thanks. I'm close to 60k on my 2003 3.2 Boxster so I think I'll get the clutch and bearing swapped at the same time. Probably set me back best part of £2k.

Watched the 996 video.

He mentions he’s stiffened up the ride and the engine mounts. Just what you need on British roads, even stiffer suspension. It’s such a fashion at the moment to go for the sportiest suspension, it’s used as a selling point.

Sports stiffened suspension and UK roads really are a horrible mix. I’ve had bog standard suspension on my last few cars and I really miss my ancient Mercedes that basically had ‘yacht’ as the setting on the suspension. You basically had to hit a speed hump at about 20mph for it to register inside the car. It used to do that thing you’d see on old American cars on TV, you park up and it sort of rocks n wallows for a little while. I loved that.

Everything else just feels like it smashes in to every pot hole or service cover. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Interesting video, many thanks. I'm close to 60k on my 2003 3.2 Boxster so I think I'll get the clutch and bearing swapped at the same time. Probably set me back best part of £2k.

I've got a 3.2 A3 and that engine has a habit, according to reports, of snapping its timing chain. A preventative change of the chain starts at a couple of grand.  

Edited by Xela

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've got a 3.2 A3 and that engine has a habit, according to reports, of snapping its timing chain. A preventative change of the chain starts at a couple of grand.  

Every single VAG engine has at least one design fault or weakness. It's why even though they use the same engines, Audi are the least reliable, then VW, then SEAT and Skoda. Because that's exactly the order the companies are allowed to use new engines. By the time they get to Skoda there's a bulletin or modification.

Â