What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

9 hours ago, Tegis said:

There is a strange "want it" factor to them. But unless you live in the outback where tarmac is nowhere to be seen, a normal big estate would be better in every way right..........right?

As much as i like the big old Volvo/Vauxhall/VW estates, it seems they're not in vogue as they used to be. Replaced by MPVs, SUVs and pickups. Shame. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

15-20 years ago a car that had done circa 100k miles was often considered being almost ready for the scrapyard.

Since then lots of ultra reliable 2L Diesel engines you can triple that if well looked after.

I wonder with the new generation of revvy small engines their life expectancy will go back down.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

15-20 years ago a car that had done circa 100k miles was often considered being almost ready for the scrapyard.

Since then lots of ultra reliable 2L Diesel engines you can triple that if well looked after.

I wonder with the new generation of revvy small engines their life expectancy will go back down.

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's more about the stress the engine is under and the quality of the design/materials.

The longest lasting cars are the Toyota hybrids. Prius taxis have been known to have done a million km without anything going wrong. They're petrol atkinson cycle engines.

Diesels last well because they're generally not as stressed and they're more prevalent in modern cars. But I don't think diesels are especially reliable in comparison to petrols. The pumps are a weak point.

I think you'll find it's just modern cars with better manufacturing and materials.

My petrol Lupo above is almost 20 years old and has done 135k. It drives like new.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 14:54, Xela said:

What is the fascination with pick up trucks in the States. I think the top 3 selling vehicles last year were pick-ups. Maybe one for @TheAuthority and @Dom_Wren?! 

I think its a mix mate between culture and use. 

I would not ever own a truck now, its great, can haul whatever I want, driving position great, got all the bells and whistles and a 6.7L power stroke diesel engine ;)

• Like 1

Been watching a lot of YT videos of old American cars this week. I love the fact the US were still making these in the late 80s

This is a 1989 Buick! Compared to the modern shapes of European cars at the time, this type of car must have seem ancient by then.

I do like them though - remind me of 80's films like National Lampoon's vacation!

hxtFKZf.jpg

Bring back wood panelling on cars!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

1971 Lancia Stratos concept

Whatever happened to Lancia? I know they’re still around, but bloody hell, they’re not exactly high art anymore.

Most of the good ones rusted away years ago!

I'm going to go against the car fan grain here and say i've never really seen the appeal of Lancia's and Alfa's. Its always said that if you are a car fan then you need to own an Alfa or Lancia at some point. I think Clarkson's daily driver is an 80's Alfa GTV.

Very few of them have ever tickled my fancy. The Brera V6 is appealing but most of them are just "meh". Thinking about it I feel the same about Fiats, Maseratis, Lambos and Ferraris. Maybe I have an unconscious bias against Italian cars! 

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Most of the good ones rusted away years ago!

I'm going to go against the car fan grain here and say i've never really seen the appeal of Lancia's and Alfa's. Its always said that if you are a car fan then you need to own an Alfa or Lancia at some point. I think Clarkson's daily driver is an 80's Alfa GTV.

Very few of them have ever tickled my fancy. The Brera V6 is appealing but most of them are just "meh". Thinking about it I feel the same about Fiats, Maseratis, Lambos and Ferraris. Maybe I have an unconscious bias against Italian cars! 

I wanted to buy a Lancia Beta as my first ever car but my old man literally wouldn’t release the money from his bank account.

I remember as a kid seeing a Lancia Stratos parked up on a street, it was like a spaceship.

But I’ve always been weirdly drawn to those utterly invisible mundane cars the Italians sent out every now and again, a Lancia Trevi or an old Fiat 124 sedan that they based the Lada on. In fact, Ladas, I thought they were great.

Yeah, and Alfa Spider is nice to look at, I’d rather cruise along in a genuine old Warburg 353.

This might be why I’m currently bobbing around in Scala, you don’t know what a Scala looks like? Exactly. Euroanonymous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

spacer.png

Just ordered one of these for £17k, seems to be a good price for the amount of car you're getting?! 

Incoming Renault haters in 3..2..1 😆

I’ve seen them on offer a few times, it’s a huge amount of car for £17k. I’ve had a few Renault’s over the years and they have been good cars. 
Vauxhall on the other hand :rant:

58 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

spacer.png

Just ordered one of these for £17k, seems to be a good price for the amount of car you're getting?! 

Incoming Renault haters in 3..2..1 😆

is that the kadjar? when renting I've always enjoyed that one, and the qashqai. last car i rented was a nissan juke, and they are shiiiiit.

Incidentally, having just noticed this thread, last month for the first time I became a car owner, after years of renting. Nothing like lockdown to make you realise you need a car for when the restrictions open! A 2nd hand Honda Jazz so very much reliable granny car over style but hey we'll work our way up ;) 

I’ve just gone to the shop and used my wife’s as mine was in one of those prime parking spaces you don’t want to lose so you just stop going out.

Her car is 18 months old, I just celebrated as i tipped it over the 3,300 mile mark.

Here’s my google stats for 2020:

image.png.52b0e3984fea620685ed44d410c430fc.png

On 08/01/2021 at 05:57, TrentVilla said:

I want a 911. I mean I really really want a 911. I can’t justify it but boy am I tempted.

You want an emergency call made? That badly? If you can't justify it, don't do it, pranking emergency services with nonsense, however tempting, is not on mate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'm tossing up between buying a Toyota Corolla and a Volkswagen Golf next month. Any advice/feedback/suggestions on either?

Depends on the age you're looking at.

It's function vs form really. The Toyota will always be more reliable but pretty boring. The VW will always be a bit better looking, possibly a bit better to drive but will break more often.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Depends on the age you're looking at.

It's function vs form really. The Toyota will always be more reliable but pretty boring. The VW will always be a bit better looking, possibly a bit better to drive but will break more often.

Thanks, Darren. My thoughts to a pinpoint. Pretty sure I'll go for the Toyota.

I'm looking at models for the Corolla between 2003 and 2007, for the Golf, 2006-2008.

• Like 1

I've literally flip flopped from Toyota to VAG and back again every few years because every time I get a Toyota, it's brilliantly boring and reliable so I get a need for a bit of excitement and buy a sporty VAG which then gets old quickly and I long for the boringly practical and reliable Toyota.

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks, Darren. My thoughts to a pinpoint. Pretty sure I'll go for the Toyota.

I'm looking at models for the Corolla between 2003 and 2007, for the Golf, 2006-2008.

That age I'd definitely go for the Toyota. Depending on the type, the Golf's engine will either need coilpacks, diesel pump, intake manifold or water pump at various points.

Edited by darrenm
  • Thanks 1

Â