What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

43 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Thanks. I read that you had to get their permission but this is good for me. I’ll definitely get more for it private 

No I don’t believe so, I certainly didn’t but perhaps worth checking the agreement as long as they get the settlement figure I can’t see them being bothered.

On 17/11/2020 at 08:41, omariqy said:

Thanks. I read that you had to get their permission but this is good for me. I’ll definitely get more for it private 

I was wrong... sorry in my defence it was 5 years ago. I checked, I paid off the finance by getting a cash advance from a credit card, paid the PPC off then sold the car. Then paid the CC off and kept the difference.

I had to do it that way as I couldn’t sell it with finance against it, in fact I had to get something to show I’d cleared it to give to the guy who bought it.

20 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I was wrong... sorry in my defence it was 5 years ago. I checked, I paid off the finance by getting a cash advance from a credit card, paid the PPC off then sold the car. Then paid the CC off and kept the difference.

I had to do it that way as I couldn’t sell it with finance against it, in fact I had to get something to show I’d cleared it to give to the guy who bought it.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to sell a car prior to clearing the finance as the finance company would register it on HPI. If its a high value car it could even go on the security register (which means the legal owner is notified when anyone enquires about the car through HPI).

You probably had to show the buyer a clearance letter from the funder?

So... the Audi has failed its MOT today and can't go back on the road until i'm booked in for a free MOT re-test once I have fixed the problem. Its an electrical fault and the garage don't employ an auto electrician so i've got a call into a well regarded mobile one who can sort it. Until then i'm without wheels. 

Which brings me to my question - I may be looking to rent a small car for a few days. Any hire companies to recommend/avoid? 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to sell a car prior to clearing the finance as the finance company would register it on HPI. If its a high value car it could even go on the security register (which means the legal owner is notified when anyone enquires about the car through HPI).

You probably had to show the buyer a clearance letter from the funder?

That is what I had to do, I'd totally forgotten.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

So... the Audi has failed its MOT today and can't go back on the road until i'm booked in for a free MOT re-test once I have fixed the problem. Its an electrical fault and the garage don't employ an auto electrician so i've got a call into a well regarded mobile one who can sort it. Until then i'm without wheels. 

Which brings me to my question - I may be looking to rent a small car for a few days. Any hire companies to recommend/avoid? 

Been without my BMW for two weeks now and I'm about ready to go nuts.

As for car rental I've used enterprise loads and I find them really good, the US style OTT customer service can be a little irritating but they do try and look after you (not screw you over) and the prices are reasonable. More often than not they've given me a better vehicle than I've paid for, only real negative is the upsell when you get in there for various insurances.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Been without my BMW for two weeks now and I'm about ready to go nuts.

As for car rental I've used enterprise loads and I find them really good, the US style OTT customer service can be a little irritating but they do try and look after you (not screw you over) and the prices are reasonable. More often than not they've given me a better vehicle than I've paid for, only real negative is the upsell when you get in there for various insurances.

Cheers

Enterprise were the ones I was looking at as they have a depot in Sutton Coldfield, so a lot easier for me to get to. 

Works out quite pricey once all the damage waivers, excess insurance and whatnot are added. I'm sure you don't need it all. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers

Enterprise were the ones I was looking at as they have a depot in Sutton Coldfield, so a lot easier for me to get to. 

Works out quite pricey once all the damage waivers, excess insurance and whatnot are added. I'm sure you don't need it all. 

I used to do it and then I thought about it, I've been driving more than 20 years and never been at fault for an accident so haven't bothered since. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Cheers

You can get insurance from someone to cover the excess. I've done it for peace of mind but never had to use it so don't know how reliable it is it how much if a ball ache but it's a fraction of the price. You would have to pay the excess then claim it back on the insurance. 

My last hire was with enterprise, which was a van to move house. It seemed their top up insurance only reduced the excess anyway, didn't remove it. I'm not sure if this was just a commercial van thing or not. I've not noticed it before, when hiring cars with enterprise previously.

I've mostly used enterprise as they more often than not work out the cheapest and most convenient location, and never had an issue when hiring a car. Although I've not had problem with the others I've used either and found them much the same.

• Like 1

I went with Enterprise in the end and they were fine. 

The car itself... I've been bimbling around in a fully loaded 70 plate Corsa the last few days. Its not bad. As most of the cars i've owned have been old (or classic ;) ) then sitting behind the wheel of a modern car is like getting into a space shuttle. Digital everything, rear parking camera, sat nav, DAB, lane assist, it can read road signs and brakes itself if if thinks you are going to drive into something. Nice though. 1.2 turbo petrol engine and gets to 60mph fairly easy. If you're not doing motorways, its really all the car you would ever need. About £26k for this model though, so not cheap! Although I imagine Enterprise would have paid about £16k with dealer and manufacturer volume related discounts. 

That being said, it was nice to fire up the 3.2 v6 after it finally passed the MOT. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 21:05, Xela said:

Cheers

You could always catch the bus.

Like i do.

Sit next to me as i wear my jogging pants. 

It'll be fun 😁

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

£26k, madness.

It is isn't it? I looked online after I had it on hire... expecting it to be about £15k! In my mind, a Corsa should never cost that much.

Kudos for Dacia for putting out new cars for just over £7k 

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

You could always catch the bus.

Like i do.

I'm better than the bus mate ;)

Remember the Jasper Carrot sketch about the Nutter on the Bus? Thats why I don't catch it! Plus you'd probably get shanked by gang member nowadays! 

• Haha 1

£26k for a Corsa is absolute madness. Can you believe people walk into the dealers and agree to buy a Corsa for that kind of money? :crylaugh: 
I just had a quick look at some brand new cars on Autotrader.

BMW 1 series for £22,400

Audi A1 £18,491

Audi A3 £22,300

Mercedes A Class £19,935

I know it’s comparing base models with the top of the range Vauxhall, but seriously, who in their right might would buy the Corsa?

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

£26k for a Corsa is absolute madness. Can you believe people walk into the dealers and agree to buy a Corsa for that kind of money? :crylaugh: 
I just had a quick look at some brand new cars on Autotrader.

I think they start at £15k but up to £26k and even more for the electric one. 

The thing is, people don't look at price anymore - its just what it costs per month. Does it fit within what they are prepared to pay for a new car? If so, then who cares what the list price is! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think they start at £15k but up to £26k and even more for the electric one. 

The thing is, people don't look at price anymore - its just what it costs per month. Does it fit within what they are prepared to pay for a new car? If so, then who cares what the list price is! 

Yep, it's not about the cost it's about the APR and you don't negotiate the price you negotiate the dealership contribution 

Edit - my last 2 cars were a bog standard BMW 4 series it the m pack on it which was worth £34k and an audi s4 worth £48k 

£15 difference between the monthly payments 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Edit - my last 2 cars were a bog standard BMW 4 series it the m pack on it which was worth £34k and an audi s4 worth £48k 

£15 difference between the monthly payments 

The S4 would have a far stronger residual so that enables the payments to be the same, as you say. 

I've only leased a car once (back in 2006) and it was ok. £249 per month for a brand new Merc C Class. No deposit, no fees.

I just don't do the miles anymore to warrant a new car... averaged 390 miles per month between my last 2 MOTs. Hence why I was looking at changing my car for a used one that is cheaper to run... one that isn't £600 a year to tax! 

Â