What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Crikey Moses!  Wasn't expecting the hate levels to be in the red! ;)

To be honest, I've always wanted a Porsche and never been able to afford one.  The business is going well so we're able to run it through that.

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc and just felt I see so many Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc on the road that I wanted something different.  The reviews on the Macan all agree that it handles like a Porsche but has the benefit of being a nice, honest, family car.  Goes like stink for the size of car too.

They are awesome, the speed and acceleration is ridiculous and you can really chuck it in to the corners. Probably best to not do that with the nipper in the car though :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

They are awesome, the speed and acceleration is ridiculous and you can really chuck it in to the corners. Probably best to not do that with the nipper in the car though :D

She'll be alright.  We keep her in the boot, so with everything else in there she can't slide about too much.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc 

Mrs H managed that with 2 kids in her Ford Focus :P

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't have one as I don't particularly like how they look, hence my post above, but it's still a luxury brand and a nice car and something you're obviously excited about so no hate from me :) 

It's all good.  I know it's not "hate", and that the car's a bit Marmite.  We thought about an F-Pace, then a GLC but I wanted the Coupé and there's just not enough space in the back, and in the end I've always wanted a Porsche so that was what won it.

My best pal has got an X5 so that was off the list, and I've just never seen myself as an Audi driver.  Range Rover Sport is too big for me, and the Evoque is everywhere.

I'm going a long way to explain an early-onset midlife crisis here aren't I?!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's all good.  I know it's not "hate", and that the car's a bit Marmite.  We thought about an F-Pace, then a GLC but I wanted the Coupé and there's just not enough space in the back, and in the end I've always wanted a Porsche so that was what won it.

My best pal has got an X5 so that was off the list, and I've just never seen myself as an Audi driver.  Range Rover Sport is too big for me, and the Evoque is everywhere.

Well i love it, not that it matters, it only matters if you love it!

but you are now a rocket polisher. sorry, you knows da rulez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I like X5's even less, really dislike them but I am biased against BMW.

There's a lot of 4x4's I don't like, probably from working at JLR for too long! :D 

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just ordered one of these, but with the glass roof and black roof rails.  Got 21" 911 Turbo alloys rather than these black numbers too.

Going to be a long 12 weeks waiting for delivery.

2017-Porsche-Macan-GTS-Compare.jpeg

Oh it's a Macan.  I just glanced and assumed it was a Cayenne.  The Macan is kind of cool actually, as it's much rarer.  Well may she wear :thumb:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc and just felt I see so many Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc on the road that I wanted something different.

Remind me, exactly how long were you in Canada for? ;)

:thumb::thumb: On the new motor though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

To be honest, I've always wanted a Porsche and never been able to afford one.  The business is going well so we're able to run it through that.

A Porsche 911 has always been my 'grail' car. An older one like the 964 model, but they are getting so rare now to find a decent one and the prices are rocketing.

I looked at one about 6 or 7 years ago, it was a 1990 model and was about £25k. It would have cleaned me out back then. Now you'd struggle to get one for twice that.

The car below (a 91 model) is up for sale for £85k now! Oh how I wish I had got one when I had chance!

8522678.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

A Porsche 911 has always been my 'grail' car. An older one like the 964 model, but they are getting so rare now to find a decent one and the prices are rocketing.

This, but an even older one - a 70's one.

That was what I meant about getting a proper car for the money .

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

This, but an even older one - a 70's one.

That was what I meant about getting a proper car for the money .

I like them as well but the 964 model (89-94 I think) retained the classic looks with a bit of the 'modern' era technology. The next incarnation (993) was nice as well, but after that came the 996 version, which I can't stand, but you can pick those up cheap.

I do like the 928 and 968 as well. 

Edited by Xela

there's not much that's nicer than a proper old Porsche

I was offered a 'Porsche' 914 a few years ago that needed a front wing and I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. A few months later I was offered a VW Karmann Ghia, bizarrely with the same problem, a missing front wing. By offered, I mean offered almost free.

Turned them both down as I didn't need the hassle. I'll never be rich.

But just to bring this thread crashing down to earth. I actually considered buying a Skoda Rapid Spaceback today. I think I'm finally fed up of fuel bills and tax bills. Trouble is, as much as I don't like the costs of a 'big' car, I do like being able to overtake things and accelerate down a motorway slip road. 

My boss had a Cayman. Reversing parking sensors caused him to reverse into a post because they didn't pick it up. When reversing the front tyres crab massively. The DSG box was pretty slow and jerky, surprisingly.

He then got a Boxster S with buttons for MORE NOIZE! and EVEN MORE NOIZE!1! and DARK LIFTOFF POP MAN. Even more pointless of a car on anything but a race track.

Well put together but the Cayman had loads of faults as standard with anything VAG. Safe to say they weren't particularly relevant to my interests.

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I needed something big enough for the nipper, her stroller, luggage etc and just felt I see so many Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc on the road that I wanted something different.  The reviews on the Macan all agree that it handles like a Porsche but has the benefit of being a nice, honest, family car.  Goes like stink for the size of car too.

Good job on swerving the Range Rover Rob, the build quality on them is shocking. That said, the Porsche hasn't been much better to be honest.

Edited by Risso

Â