What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

@darrenm It seems you started to get boring mature around the '96 Astra.  You then had a brief existential crisis with the '93 Celica and then continued 'maturing' from then on :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

MkII Fiesta

Citroen ZX

Vauxhall Vectra

Audi A4

Mazda RX8

VW Golf

A5 Coupe

What a largely uninspiring list.

What was the RX8 like to own?  I believe they use about as much oil as they do petrol.  Nice yoke and a flyer by all accounts, but I'd be nervous owning a wankel (teehee).

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

@darrenm It seems you started to get boring mature around the '96 Astra.  You then had a brief existential crisis with the '93 Celica and then continued 'maturing' from then on :P

The family happened. The Octavia vRS was the last little stab at being a bit exciting but the repair bills firmly put me back into 'sod this lark'

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

The family happened. The Octavia vRS was the last little stab at being a bit exciting but the repair bills firmly put me back into 'sod this lark'

2002 VW Lupo GTI

:suspect:  :lol:

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

What was the RX8 like to own?  I believe they use about as much oil as they do petrol.  Nice yoke and a flyer by all accounts, but I'd be nervous owning a wankel (teehee).

Not to answer for @choffer but my friend owned one. The oil gauge went down quicker than the petrol gauge. The later RX8 series wankel didn't need a rebuild after every 60k, but still fell apart with alarming regularity. One of his rotors shattered and he lost a fair bit of money.

Speaking of wankels ... I saw an NSU Ro 80 parked in a shopping centre the other day.  I've only ever seen those at car shows.  Mental f**ker driving around in one like a daily driver :) 

Just now, BOF said:

I blew out the rotors within a month but other than that, I loved it so much.

The oil light coming on every 10 days was a chore and it's famed reputation for thirst is well earned. If you kept it under 65 on the motorway, the gas would last much longer but why would you do that? Only car I've owned where power slides were obligatory but you'd have to be very careful in the wet and you'd not even bother trying to take it out in snow or ice. I loved her so much but she was unconscionably thirsty and huge fun in equal measure.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-31%20at%2012.38.

Sounds hard to live with in more ways than one.  Might be the kind of thing you could have as a weekend car, but then if you had a weekend car you'd probably go for something even more mental than that.

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

Sounds hard to live with in more ways than one.  Might be the kind of thing you could have as a weekend car, but then if you had a weekend car you'd probably go for something even more mental than that.

Yep. I still miss how fun it was to drive and as much as I'd love to have another one, I couldn't say it's a sensible car to own.

This was the GSi2000 4x4 after I put the 2.5 v6 in. It was mental

And this is what happens if you don't know how to drive a viscous diff 4x4 in the snow

Excuse my driving. It was a long time ago and I was irresponsible.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, darrenm said:

This was the GSi2000 4x4 after I put the 2.5 v6 in. It was mental

That was like watching an episode of Police, Camera, Action from the POV of the pursued :P  I hope you had good rubber on her!

48 minutes ago, darrenm said:

And this is what happens if you don't know how to drive a viscous diff 4x4 in the snow

Ouchy.  Much damage done @ 0:56 ?  I'd say some wee came out and the heart rate tripled around 01:52 as the ABS kicked in and you were forced onto the wrong and blind side of the road :lol:  You seemed determined to end up in a ditch!

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

That was like watching an episode of Police, Camera, Action from the POV of the pursued :P  I hope you had good rubber on her!

Ouchy.  Much damage done @ 0:56 ?  I'd say some wee came out and the heart rate tripled around 01:52 as the ABS kicked in and you were forced onto the wrong and blind side of the road :lol:  You seemed determined to end up in a ditch!

The rubber was Goodyear Eagle F1s. Awesome in the dry, not so good in the snow..

Just a few scratches that buffed out!

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

Your dad, Nigel would be disappointed. ;)

Nah he's uncle Nige ;)

2008 - 52 plate VW Polo

2009 - 59 plate Nissan Qashqai

2011 - 61 plate Alfa Romeo Giulietta

2014 - 1-year old Ford Escape (Kuga) in Canada

2016 - 10 plate BMW 3-series estate

2017 - 17 plate Porsche Macan S

Seems like when my career is going well, the first thing I do is sink some cash into a car.  When it's not, I sink what I have into a car.

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Fiesta Lx, Golf Plus, Peugeot 308.

I hate cars.

Well at least you seem really good at hating them.  Top effort :thumb: 

In fairness the Fiesta has a cracking chassis and is a good driver's car if you know how to throw it through the bends.

Â