What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

**** me.  If the finish in a Porsche, Range Rover etc are "bad".. then what's left above that to be "good"?

Something where there's not an electrical fault every couple of weeks would be a start.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Risso said:

Something where there's not an electrical fault every couple of weeks would be a start.

I've currently got a 2010 3-series, and it became a victim of Storm Doris.  The ECU is housed in something that has a tiny drainage hole, and quite often they get clogged up.  When we had all that rain mine filled up and the ECU got fried.  Cost me a fortune to replace it.

You'd think that it'd be a consideration when building a car that the computer bit doesn't get wet.  Apparently not...

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

there's not much that's nicer than a proper old Porsche

They say there's no such thing as an old Porsche, just a new owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've currently got a 2010 3-series, and it became a victim of Storm Doris.  The ECU is housed in something that has a tiny drainage hole, and quite often they get clogged up.  When we had all that rain mine filled up and the ECU got fried.  Cost me a fortune to replace it.

You'd think that it'd be a consideration when building a car that the computer bit doesn't get wet.  Apparently not...

I've had the gear box overheat, the car go into emergency mode because it thought the diesel filter was full, the air con refuse to work, and the parking sensors work intermittently, all because of "electrical faults" on the RR.  When you add in two services, and going in for half a day each time the Adblue needs topping up, I don't think there's been a month when it hasn't been in the garage for something.

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

**** me.  If the finish in a Porsche, Range Rover etc are "bad".. then what's left above that to be "good"?

There's a difference between finish and quality. Expensive cars and traditional better marques have good finish so there's plenty of damping everywhere, sound insulation, soft touch surfaces etc but due to the design they can still have plenty of faults. Korean, Japanese etc tend to not have the higher European finish but will go on forever because the overall quality and design is better.

Getting an intermittent fault on the Focus (X reg 1.6 petrol) A few times now I've been driving along and the speedo gives up, sometimes the engine light flashes too. A few minutes of driving without the speedo seems to make it stall, sometimes restarted after a stall gets the speedo working again then sometimes it doesn't come back before the end of my journey. It never happens when first getting in the car.

Is it a loose wire situation or am I getting hit in the wallet?

29 minutes ago, V01 said:

Getting an intermittent fault on the Focus (X reg 1.6 petrol) A few times now I've been driving along and the speedo gives up, sometimes the engine light flashes too. A few minutes of driving without the speedo seems to make it stall, sometimes restarted after a stall gets the speedo working again then sometimes it doesn't come back before the end of my journey. It never happens when first getting in the car.

Is it a loose wire situation or am I getting hit in the wallet?

Sounds like a dodgy earth to me. Any decent auto electrician should sort it quickly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Sounds like a dodgy earth to me. Any decent auto electrician should sort it quickly.

That's got me thinking.  Can an electrician be a member of the flat earth society...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's got me thinking.  Can an electrician be a member of the flat earth society...

Most of them are pretty bright sparks, so currently I'm positive that while they'd be capable of vaulting any obstacles* to their membership of the FES, they'd make the connection between membership and being viewed in a negative light.

*Obviously, volting obstacles can be illegal and lead to being charged and thrown in the cells.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Risso said:

I've had the gear box overheat, the car go into emergency mode because it thought the diesel filter was full, the air con refuse to work, and the parking sensors work intermittently, all because of "electrical faults" on the RR.  When you add in two services, and going in for half a day each time the Adblue needs topping up, I don't think there's been a month when it hasn't been in the garage for something.

How did you find the chassis, steering, brakes and suspension? 

Weirdly it's only just struck me that I've only ever owned a VAG car.

The first car I drove regularly was a KA which the company I was working for for the summer loaned to me. But I never owned it. Similarly with my dad's Citroen C5 (which looking back was shite) when i started at JLR. 

I've only owned 4 cars, and they've been a Polo, a Golf, an A3 and soon to be an A5.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Weirdly it's only just struck me that I've only ever owned a VAG car.

The first car I drove regularly was a KA which the company I was working for for the summer loaned to me. But I never owned it. Similarly with my dad's Citroen C5 (which looking back was shite) when i started at JLR. 

I've only owned 4 cars, and they've been a Polo, a Golf, an A3 and soon to be an A5.

Ooh, good topic :) My car history :
'89 1.3 Lancer, '93 2.2 Prelude SI Mk 4, '93 2.0 Vectra (ex-cop rocket car), '97 Alfa 155 1.8, '91 Alfa 75 2.0 (project), '96 1.3 Starlet (don't ask, bloody bulletproof car though), '06 2.2 Brera.

• Like 1

I think we've done this before. From 1st to current

1981 Ford Fiesta 1L

1988 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi 1.8 mk2 hatch

1994 Vauxhall Cavalier LX 1.7 TD mk3 hatch

1990 Vauxhall Cavalier CDi 2.0 mk3 hatch

1990 Toyota Celica GTR convertible 4WS

1994 Renault Clio 1.9D

1994 FIAT Punto 1.2

1990 Vauxhall Cavalier GSi2000 4x4 mk3 saloon (I then put a 2.5 V6 in it)

1992 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi 16v

1996 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 estate

2000 VW Passat 1.8T SE sport saloon

1993 Toyota Celica GTi 2.0 16v

1995 Vauxhall Corsa 1.5 TD

2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D

2003 Audi A4 3.0 V6 sport cabriolet

2005 SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI

2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 turbo hatch

2002 VW Lupo GTI

2015 Toyota Auris HSD touring sports

• Like 1