What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

12 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Wouldn't swap back out of Hyundai Ioniq 5, even with it's dirty rear window with no wiper, and the annoying lane warning system.

EV or no EV, lane warning systems are **** awful. I actually don't know how they're allowed.

You can't turn mine off as a default. Every time I start my car it's on automatically so I have to manually switch it off every time.

It's genuinely dangerous. The amount of times I've nearly hit a parked car because I've pulled out to overtake one and my car has tried to swerve me back in making me almost hit the parked car drives me mental.

I just don't know who it's for. Unless you can't drive to the point where you physically can't keep your vehicle between two white lines then what's the point?
I guess if you fall asleep? But seems a pretty niche requirement to have something on as a default

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's genuinely dangerous. The amount of times I've nearly hit a parked car because I've pulled out to overtake one and my car has tried to swerve me back in making me almost hit the parked car drives me mental.

My favourite is it kicking in out of nowhere because it is based on road marking and half of our roads look like they've not seen a lick of paint for a decade, so you're driving along minding your own business, it suddenly spots a line and decides to have a go at driving.

I imagine it's not too bad on A roads, but on badly maintained suburban streets where you're like to have to drive between lanes, I agree, it's actively dangerous

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

EV or no EV, lane warning systems are **** awful. I actually don't know how they're allowed.

You can't turn mine off as a default. Every time I start my car it's on automatically so I have to manually switch it off every time.

If you use the indicator then it should not try and keep you in the lane. I agree it’s super annoying but that over rides the system as you’re telling it that you’re deliberately moving out of the lane.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just don't know who it's for. Unless you can't drive to the point where you physically can't keep your vehicle between two white lines then what's the point?
I guess if you fall asleep? But seems a pretty niche requirement to have something on as a default

There’s new very intrusive systems coming in for this stuff too. Driver pointing cameras to check if you’re awake and also capacitive steering wheels that know if you’ve let go of them. It’s all driven by the desire to get lower insurance bands, and therefore lower cost of ownership.

On 11/01/2024 at 18:53, sidcow said:

If you buy one we can go for a drive together. I will follow you, will you follow me? 

So 11 days later I heard a song on the radio that refreshed my memory and I just got the Genesis joke   ... :blush: :blush: 

I feel like a comedy sloth 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this because you didn't indicate to overtake?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

You indicate every time you go slightly wide round a parked car?

There are plenty of times where indicating is either unnecessary because nobody is around, or just the wrong thing to do as it could be misleading if you're indicating just to pass a parked vehicle near a junction, for example

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

ou indicate every time you go slightly wide round a parked car?

I don't have a car with lane control so it doesn't really matter what I do. Its about adapting to the car. I've noticed another increasing trend, people overtaking on dual carriageways / motorways, then indicating to pull back into an inside lane which is not required, I also put this down to the car having lane control

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I don't have a car with lane control so it doesn't really matter what I do. Its about adapting to the car. I've noticed another increasing trend, people overtaking on dual carriageways / motorways, then indicating to pull back into an inside lane which is not required, I also put this down to the car having lane control

I'm disappointed by this reply, I was just settling in for an evening of arguing the toss over something that doesn't matter at all :D 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

then indicating to pull back into an inside lane which is not required, I also put this down to the car having lane control

I often do this just out of habit. But i'm also a shit driver. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If you use the indicator then it should not try and keep you in the lane. I agree it’s super annoying but that over rides the system as you’re telling it that you’re deliberately moving out of the lane.

Oh yeah I know. But unless I'm retaking my test I won't be indicating to overtake parked cars (assuming there's not extenuating circumstances)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes. I don't indicate to overtake a parked car unless the situation particularly calls for it

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As a fellow shit driver, any lane change is indicated, pulling out and pulling in. 

Ironically having to actually fully go into a new lane would probably make the situation better. Either it would actually require an indicator because you're changing lanes, or even if you didn't indicate, you'd be turning sharply enough that it woul override the nudge back into your lane.

The situation I'm describing is a parked car on the left meaning you have to go slightly wider toward (or maybe slightly over) the centre line, which the car then violently corrects to keep you in your lane.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm disappointed by this reply, I was just settling in for an evening of arguing the toss over something that doesn't matter at all :D 

I was looking forward to witnessing it :( 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It should literally just be for keeping people in lane on motorways and dual carriage ways. And yea, the main reason for having it is to identify when people are falling asleep at the wheel and start drifting over. I get how it could be dangerous on other roads though. I’d be screwed around my area if I had that on all the time.  

On 22/01/2024 at 13:39, Stevo985 said:

Looking increasingly likely my next car will be electric. Never even driven one before so should be interesting

Turns out the cars I can get on the scheme are uninspiring to say the least.

Might just take the allowance and keep my current one

Seems Land Rover have finally woken up to the fact that their cars are piss easy to steal. And come out swinging blaming everyone but themselves. 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Seems Land Rover have finally woken up to the fact that their cars are piss easy to steal. And come out swinging blaming everyone but themselves. 

I think there’s quite a bit more to it than that.

Firstly, the technology in Range Rovers is not different or inferior to other brands. So many of them get stolen is because they are so valuable (upto £200k each). If you’re a gang and going to risk prison to steal a car you ain’t gonna steal a Vauxhall Corsa.

Also, LR have spent a fortune 1) adding more and more security to the cars 2) setting up their own insurance company to insure the high end cars cheaper than external and 3) giving money to police to improve their ability to find the organised gangs and containers used to send the vehicles out of the country.

In short, your post couldn’t be more wrong :D 

Â