What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

If they make cars security full proof that they cannot be stolen by relay theft etc. They will just break into your house threaten your kids and steal you car that way. So it's a price to pay these days for having a posh car unfortunately. Most cars are either used for organised crime of stolen to order, so if they want it, they'll have it

18 hours ago, Xela said:

S-l1200.webpS-l800-ac4c6956-9a71-4055-a127-f1e353968

5fd3670c-95b7-4966-b906-e75c36a0cb57_tex

Had these both ripped off my Nova SRi at Basingstoke train station back in about 1995, only way AA man could drive car to garage was via molegrips attached to the steering column as they had ripped off the steering wheel trying to break the steering lock.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Had these both ripped off my Nova SRi at Basingstoke train station back in about 1995, only way AA man could drive car to garage was via molegrips attached to the steering column as they had ripped off the steering wheel trying to break the steering lock.

They never wanted my doom blue Austin Metro 1.3 HL as much as your Nova! Despite the fact you could open the door lock with a screwdriver! :) 

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

They never wanted my doom blue Austin Metro 1.3 HL as much as your Nova! Despite the fact you could open the door lock with a screwdriver! :) 

We got them stop locks on our cars now, silver ones. I know a couple of likely lads and they hate them. They said 99% will just go looking for another car.

I know this a DM link and they'll be running it for clicks/comments, but there does seem to be a common theme at the moment with Land Rovers.

Also it seems Land Rover's own insurance doesn't want to cover a lot of people. 

No wonder they're uninsurable! Range Rover owner hands back his four-year-old model when he is quoted £14,000 for insurance - and it is stolen one day later

nstead of renewing the lease, Mr Perring returned the car to financiers Black Horse, who sent British Car Auctions to pick it up from his home in Loughton, Essex at around 4pm on Wednesday.

He was glad to be rid of the effectively uninsurable Range Rover Sport, but was woken at 2am on Friday with a call from a Met Police officer who asked him: 'Mr Perring, do you know your car has been stolen?'

--------------

Data from the DVLA in May revealed the Range Rover Velar R-Dyn was the most sought out car by criminals, with two in every 100 of the model stolen.

Land Rover was dubbed the most stolen brand, with 924 stolen per 100,000 in the 12 months to March 2023. It also made up six of the top ten most stolen car models overall.

However, the number of all Range Rover variants (including Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Velar and Evoque) stolen in 2023 declined by almost 20 per cent compared to 2022, more recent DVLA data on vehicle thefts show. It suggests recent efforts and investments by JLR to bolster the anti-theft systems in its cars is having an impact.

JLR says figures from the Police National Computer Data also show a similar downward trend of thefts of Range Rover vehicles, with a 26 per cent reduction between November 2022 and the same month last year.

-----------------

MailOnline reported this week that Range Rover Velar owner Kirsten Lijeskic, 38, said she has had to declare her car off road and will be forced to sell it at a loss of about £15,000 after insurers quoted her £890 a month.

She said she got the £56,000 wheels in September 2022 and had been paying £130 a month insurance for her and her husband with Acorn. 

But Kirsten, who lives in Winchmore Hill, north London, said that Acorn will not renew their insurance with them and the car's own manufacturer also allegedly told her it 'cannot provide a quote'.

And stay-at-home-mother Hannah Platts, 40, also revealed in late January that her and her husband they were forced to sell their nearly brand new top-of-the-range Land Rover Defender at a £14,000 loss after an insurance company would not renew her policy just one month after buying the car. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13040943/uninsurable-Range-Rover-owner-quote-14000-insurance-stolen-one-day-later.html

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I know this a DM link and they'll be running it for clicks/comments, but there does seem to be a common theme at the moment with Land Rovers.

Also it seems Land Rover's own insurance doesn't want to cover a lot of people. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13040943/uninsurable-Range-Rover-owner-quote-14000-insurance-stolen-one-day-later.html

I just did an insurance comparison search for a 2 year old Range Rover Velar and there’s loads of choice about £1,000 a year or £90 a month.

Someone selling a top of the Range Defender a year old at a loss of £14k is not really a story either is it? I’m assuming that’s a £70/80k or more car and has come down by less than 20% as used after a year. Thats normal to good isn’t it? Especially if it’s “uninsurable”.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I’ve finally done the swap on my car. First time ever I’ve gone like for like and got the same spec same car again, just changed the colour.

Even then, on supposedly the same car there are so many little tweeks. On my old Scala, there were about 16 buttons on the steering wheel, now there a scrolly pressable thing so I have to click through some menus. Less buttons, more clicks to get to what I want. Which I guess saved them 72p and costs me 4 seconds.

I also now have voice command. This was soooo needed. Previously I could get Radio 4 by pressing the touch screen, or using buttons on the steering wheel, or gesture control (I can waft my hand royal wave style rather than actually touching buttons). Now I have a fourth option, I can say ‘play Radio 4’.

Not sure what I’d have done without that little extra.

Exchange day was surprisingly straightforward. The people taking the old car away turned up when they said they would and took it away. The people with the new car turned up when they said they would and the car was thankfully what I’d been expecting. The sales people have been in touch making sure I’m happy with everything. The only people yet to make an appearance are the finance people. There was supposed to be a token deposit, but nobody has asked for any money yet. In my mind, they’d have got the deposit before they handed over the car. I’m sure they’ll catch up with me eventually.

The new one is black, with no window trim jewellery, and black tint to the windows. I look like a Poundland mafia.

• Like 1

My car developed an issue, it wouldn’t do a dpf regen and put the warning on. It turned out to be a part on the exhaust, no biggy, had it replaced on Thursday. The guy mentioned it was a bit of a pain to do and had to lower the exhaust to get access.

Straight away driving it home I thought the car smelt but put it down to a garage smell. 

Having driven it a couple more times I’m convinced it’s exhaust fumes getting pulled into the car (obviously, that’s not ideal!). I assume the exhaust has not been reinstalled properly.

Took it round to the garage on Friday afternoon and it was already closed 😖

Haven’t been able to use it this weekend so first thing tomorrow I’ll be depositing it with him and telling him to sort it ASAP.

On 11/02/2024 at 19:34, Genie said:

My car developed an issue, it wouldn’t do a dpf regen and put the warning on. It turned out to be a part on the exhaust, no biggy, had it replaced on Thursday. The guy mentioned it was a bit of a pain to do and had to lower the exhaust to get access.

Straight away driving it home I thought the car smelt but put it down to a garage smell. 

Having driven it a couple more times I’m convinced it’s exhaust fumes getting pulled into the car (obviously, that’s not ideal!). I assume the exhaust has not been reinstalled properly.

Took it round to the garage on Friday afternoon and it was already closed 😖

Haven’t been able to use it this weekend so first thing tomorrow I’ll be depositing it with him and telling him to sort it ASAP.

Did you get this sorted?

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Did you get this sorted?

Yeah, took it back Monday and the guy had another look. He was playing it down but said he got a couple more turns out of one of the exhaust joints. 

It sorted the issue out, no more exhaust fume ingress into the car which is good news.

It’s been a great car for about 4.5 years but starting to show its age a bit now. I’ll swap in during the summer I think (maybe another, newer Kuga).

• Like 1

I sold my car a couple of weeks ago. I was very pleased that a guy came out and agreed to pay for it there and then, take it away, and he didn’t even want to test drive it. All done in about 25 mins. Talk about no hassle! I’m now rocking a lovely brown, 2 litre grandad car. (My mom’s insurance wrote her car off for nothing more than a few scratches on the bumper, so she’s given it me for nout. A no brainer for me, as I’d been talking about getting a car heavy/powerful enough to pull our caravan, as my last car would have blown away).

Just now, Xela said:

Yes please. 

Love an old Vauxhall! 

I only ever owned one Vauxhall, one of these. Most unreliable car I’ve ever owned by a mile (and I’ve had quite a few cheap French cars).

eeba1357330b4af7066cc3f5edf7bc17.jpg

I think it could have been great if it didn’t keep breaking down or refusing to start. Really good spec, MPG and power for the engine size.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

A Signum? A rare beast! Like a deluxe Vectra hatch/estate.

Yeah, that’s the one. It was like an estate without looking quite so much like estate. All the bells and whistles. The shittest sat-nav ever invented.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

The shittest sat-nav ever invented.

Nothing dates an old car like a proprietary sat nav! 

Went in an old Lexus recently - about 15 years old. The sat nav was pretty much like a Spectrum game! 

Â