What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Not sure where to post this so please move if required.

Someone drove into the back of me last weekend.  It's all going through there insurance, it's only minor damage and a courtesy car has been supplied by them.  Question is, do I need to tell my insurance, and am I covered by my insurance to drive a courtesy car?

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Not sure where to post this so please move if required.

Someone drove into the back of me last weekend.  It's all going through there insurance, it's only minor damage and a courtesy car has been supplied by them.  Question is, do I need to tell my insurance, and am I covered by my insurance to drive a courtesy car?

i don't know, but if it was me, even if it came from the mouth of an insurance broker on here or anywhere else, i'd still seek clarification with my own insurance provider

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 13:19, Genie said:

I saw some pictures of some of them wrapped and that makes a big improvement to the look and the durability of the body.

cybertruck-matte-black.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-paint.jpeg

Still a stupid car for stupid people though.

I wonder what the ENCAP rating of that will be? Does ENCAP do negative numbers?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i don't know, but if it was me, even if it came from the mouth of an insurance broker on here or anywhere else, i'd still seek clarification with my own insurance provider

I agree. And this comes from the mouth of an insurance broker on here 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wonder what the ENCAP rating of that will be? Does ENCAP do negative numbers?

I have no idea, but I suspect that’s a big part of the reason they are not sold in Europe.

Just now, Genie said:

I have no idea, but I suspect that’s a big part of the reason they are not sold in Europe.

Another thing we're best rid of now so we're free to have dangerous cars roaming our streets. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Another thing we're best rid of now so we're free to have dangerous cars roaming our streets. 

You know it’s exactly the kind of thing the Tories would do, stick it to the EU by giving Tesla a special license to sell the car here (despite its many safety risks). 

How’s that for anti-woke!

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 13:19, Genie said:

I saw some pictures of some of them wrapped and that makes a big improvement to the look and the durability of the body.

cybertruck-matte-black.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-paint.jpeg

Still a stupid car for stupid people though.

This is genuinley the worst looking car ever made.

I'm still struggling to believe the whole thing isn't just a big gag

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Looking increasingly likely my next car will be electric. Never even driven one before so should be interesting

The only big difference IMO is if you're used to a manual gearbox. If you've already had hybrids then the experience is pretty similar drivewise

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Looking increasingly likely my next car will be electric. Never even driven one before so should be interesting

Get ready for insane acceleration! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

The only big difference IMO is if you're used to a manual gearbox. If you've already had hybrids then the experience is pretty similar drivewise

Haven't had a hybrid but drive an automatic so that won't be a big change

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Haven't had a hybrid but drive an automatic so that won't be a big change

Obviously can't say over the long term and the plugging it in etc but I do get to drive a broad range of cars inc electric in the course of a week and to me, the biggest difference is between manual / automatic in the drive experience and not the type of car. Obviously engine noise is noticeably different but you get used to the quietness and the slightly different start up experience pretty quickly

• Like 1

From what I've heard most EV drivers love one pedal driving but not all EVs are good at it. 

One pedal driving being you take your foot off the accelerator and the car will come to a complete stop fairy quickly. Idea being you only really use brakes in an emergency situation. 

The regen breaking also gives a lot of power back to the battery. 

Most EV reviewers get a bit irked when the one pedal driving isn't very good on an EV but all admit it takes getting used to.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

From what I've heard most EV drivers love one pedal driving but not all EVs are good at it. 

One pedal driving being you take your foot off the accelerator and the car will come to a complete stop fairy quickly. Idea being you only really use breaks in an emergency situation. 

The regen breaking also gives a lot of power back to the battery. 

Most EV reviewers get a bit irked when the one pedal driving isn't very good on an EV but all admit it takes getting used to.

Wouldn't swap back out of Hyundai Ioniq 5, even with it's dirty rear window with no wiper, and the annoying lane warning system.

Yeah quite a few EVs have OPD that brings your speed down but not to a complete stop, annoying as hell. It's quite nice never having to touch the brake.

Have to say, after the initial enthusiasm of the ridiculous acceleration, I'm missing my old car. EVs have tonnes of upsides, but if you like to drive a car for fun and not just as an appliance, they're nowhere near as enjoyable. I miss my revving engine and manual gearbox. 

1 minute ago, Sid4ever said:

Wouldn't swap back out of Hyundai Ioniq 5, even with it's dirty rear window with no wiper, and the annoying lane warning system.

**** me this stuff pisses me off too. Can you turn it off permanently? In my car if I want it off I have to turn it off on every single drive, it's so **** annoying.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

**** me this stuff pisses me off too. Can you turn it off permanently? In my car if I want it off I have to turn it off on every single drive, it's so **** annoying.

Exactly the same, no permanent switch off option.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

3 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Exactly the same, no permanent switch off option.

It cannot be permanently disabled, it’s there to secure a lower insurance banding. Common complaint.

The only way it might be possible would be one of those tuning company that remap engines, nox issues, dpf etc They might be able to turn it off in the ECU.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Â