What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Last Ford Fiesta rolls off the production line in Cologne today. End of an iconic car. Bet most of us have owned/driven one at some point.

My Mom had one for 11 years - a mark 2 Festival. Identical to the one pictured below. Was the first car I drove on my own after passing my test. 

Fiesta-33-750x500.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

Used EV residuals are absolutely plummeting. Some down 35%-40% in 6 months. Good news if you are on the look out for a used one.

On 23/06/2023 at 15:29, Genie said:

This looks very cheap, brand new (pre-registered) family sized EV for £24k.

link

054932_ext_001.jpg?&width=1500&center=0.

054932_ext_019.jpg?&width=1500&center=0.

054932_ext_031.jpg?&width=1500&center=0.

The Fully Charged show really really rate the MG EV's.  Describe them as the best overall EV's you can buy. 

The company lease on the BMW i3s is up and now been replaced by a bog standard Tesla Model 3.

This ipad screen thingy will take some getting used to. Already had to reset it once due to the screen just "crashing" 🙄

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

I'm sure I'd get a good part exchange rate on the Lupo.

I'd take a Porsche over an Aston, Ferrari or Lamborghini any day of the week.

They just always seem to be at the top of their game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

For me

Aston -> Ferrari -> Porsche -> Lamborghini 

• Like 1

Aston’s are made just down the road from me, so every evening I have to give way to transporter lorries of them and every time it happens I think of the VT Cost of Living thread.

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a Lambourghini man myself, but I have to say the new Turbo S is a thing of beauty 

Screenshot_20230710_185625_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 22:02, El Zen said:

I’ve had my ID3 for a little while now, and it’s great. Very roomy and comfortable, very smooth ride (lane assist aside, it is complete rubbish on the motorway and is best just to switch off completely,) big enough to fit my son’s bike with the back seats down if I need to, and I really only have to charge it a couple of times a week overnight for my commute. 

And it saves me a fortune every month compared to the lease and fuel expense on my Octavia. 

Have you had any software issues? I've heard they have had a lot of issues. I thought they'd sorted it now but my client who us transitioning their whole fleet to electric have cancelled all future orders of ID3 and ID4 and won't buy VW again. 

This video is absolutely fascinating and it seems Ford are radically changing the way they make cars with EV's because they've decided the only way you can make EV's work properly is to abandon the modern way of building cars with extensive supply chains and bring back everything in house as that's the only way you can ensure everything fits together properly and can talk to each other properly. He thinks those (I assume VW) who keep on the current way will always have software problems. 

The vehicle to Grid/Vehicle to home piece is also absolutely fascinating. Almost unknowingly they absolutely conquered America with their electric truck because people realised they could power their home from the battery in the event of a power cut.  They have a lot of power cuts in USA because they don't believe in public infrastructure. So an almost accidental inclusion of a feature became the most important addition for the company since probably the invention of the Model T. 

Vehicle to Grid/everything is one of the things that's going to solve a huge amount of problems related to the Green Energy transition. 

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have you had any software issues? I've heard they have had a lot of issues. I thought they'd sorted it now but my client who us transitioning their whole fleet to electric have cancelled all future orders of ID3 and ID4 and won't buy VW again.

The only issues with mine is a dodgy washer liquid sensor (says it needs refelling when it doesn’t) and the integrated phone charger doesn’t work. Both covered by warranty, and should be sorted once I find a suitable date to take it back. 

My only other grievance is a hyperactive lane assist, which is more a matter of taste than an actual flaw. 

• Like 1

Ooh, this just popped up on my twitter feed, from that there Birmingham Mail.

Do you drive a 4x4?

The oceans are rising, climate change is worrying, we have to be aware but it needs to go higher up the chain. Is the government doing enough ?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

How will people feel about EV SUV’s? What about hydrogen fuelled SUV’s? 

Ours is an SUV, my wife loves it. And it shifts for a car that weighs over 2.5 tonnes. Me, I prefer driving the 330D but I can’t fault the Volvo. 

• Like 1

For those of you from the Top Trumps generation, you might remember this legendary myth car.

Clickety linkings

Aston Martin Bulldog comes out of its slumber to hit 205.4mph

aston-martin-bulldog-hits-205-4-mph--junbulldog7-02d54fc9-3082-4d24-9506-2c15811

The one-off Aston Martin Bulldog has finally cracked the 200-mph mark, more than four decades after Aston Martin attempted but failed the same feat.

The Bulldog is a mid-engine supercar with gullwing doors that Aston Martin designed in 1977 to be the world's fastest production car. Testing that took place in 1979 at the MIRA test track in the U.K. saw the car reach 191 mph, falling well short of Aston Martin's original target of 237 mph.

Aston Martin at the time was owned by American businessmen Peter Sprague and George Minden. They were also responsible for the equally wedge-like Lagonda sedan, which unlike the Bulldog actually saw a small production run.

The Bulldog features a turbocharged 5.3-liter V-8 estimated to be delivering between 600 and 700 hp, which was a crazy figure at the time of the car's development.

More in link ...

Saw one of these today.

2018-Camaro-Trans-Am-Super-Duty.jpg

Didn't know what it was at first, just that it'd got a **** mean profile and sounded filthy. Turns out it's a Camaro that's been custom built from the ground up as a modern Firebird. Very expensive, very powerful, and sounds incredible.

What the **** one is doing burning around Brum I've no idea.

• Like 2

Jaguar Land Rover-owner Tata will announce plans to build its flagship electric car battery factory in the UK.

People familiar with the matter said the new plant in Somerset would be officially announced on Wednesday.

The government is providing subsidies worth hundreds of millions of pounds, sources said.

Some in the car industry have described the plant as the most important investment in UK automotive since Nissan came to Britain in the 1980s.

The investment could lead to the creation of up to 9,000 jobs around Bridgwater in Somerset. But its significance lies in the boost it will give to the car manufacturing sector as it transitions from petrol and diesel to making electric vehicles.

link

• Like 1

Reading the story above about the battery plant I’m surprised (and saddened) about the negatively in the comments. The large subsidies seems to have upset an awful lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...
Â