What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Have Defenders suddenly become the latest chav car ?

keep seeing them everywhere on the school run lately , where as a year or so ago I doubt I ever saw any ....

I think a year ago they were still ramping up production. Now they are going full tilt, round the clock and still have 18 months order backlog. 

On 09/02/2023 at 23:13, villa4europe said:

Village life, went to the local show room which is the only one within a 30 to 45 minute drive, VW garage and I didnt want a VW (from my experience of the wife's golf and a skoda company car they have shit sat navs that pick up accidents but not traffic from general congestion)

Ended up with a Ford kuga at a decent price, year old second hand but with 20km on the clock, not a clue if they're good or not but the sportier puma I wanted wasn't big enough for the kids and all their shite, 1.5 ST

Is anyone ever using the in-car SatNav? I use Apple CarPlay only. I love my Skoda tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is anyone ever using the in-car SatNav? I use Apple CarPlay only. I love my Skoda tbh.

i actually dont even have a phone contract anymore, not even pay as you go

i bounce from wifi to wifi only contactable by whatsapp

• Shocked 3

Saw one of those Ora Funky Cats in the flesh today, looked like a perfectly decent normal car.

£2000 deposit and £240 a month.

Euro brands are going to have to sort themselves out a bit sharpish, because right now as the videos up thread mention even Skoda’s entry model is a £40,000 SUV and I’m not interested in spending £40K and I live in an urban area so I’m certainly not needing an SUV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

A bunch of Metro 6R4s racing round the Monaco of the UK - the Birmingham Super Prix.

A guy owns one of these local to us, rarely see it these days, but if you have ever heard one, sounds like a superbike. Actually the same engine that went into the Jaguar XJ220 3.5 litre twin turbo V6, which was basically the Rover V8 engine with 2 cylinders removed. In the Metro 6R4 uprated it could do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. 😮

6ACB463F-2E38-461A-BBE6-9ECD59C3448E.jpeg.daf0db401688b5b144a19dbb476b3775.jpeg

C40 finally arrived after an 18 month wait good job it coincided with being back in the UK, and the new to us 330D for kids/dog duties! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Saw one of those Ora Funky Cats in the flesh today, looked like a perfectly decent normal car.

£2000 deposit and £240 a month.

Euro brands are going to have to sort themselves out a bit sharpish, because right now as the videos up thread mention even Skoda’s entry model is a £40,000 SUV and I’m not interested in spending £40K and I live in an urban area so I’m certainly not needing an SUV.

There were a couple on display in Touchwood in Solihull last week. 

I said to Mrs Sidcow that they will sell bucket loads to wealthy Solihull Housewives. I can see them replacing Minis / Evoques / Fiat 500 for that demographic. 

They are indeed funky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

There were a couple on display in Touchwood in Solihull last week. 

I said to Mrs Sidcow that they will sell bucket loads to wealthy Solihull Housewives. I can see them replacing Minis / Evoques / Fiat 500 for that demographic. 

They are indeed funky.

My other half was with me, the instant verdict was it was liked, curves reminded her of her Beetle.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 19:24, Xela said:

Saw a Ferrari Testarossa, parked up by the shops in Streetly yesterday. Lovely!

Modern Ferrari's, i wouldn't even give a second glimpse at, but the Testarossa is a poster car. 

Think the Testarossa was the only literal poster car I had, and a toy model of it when I was about a kid in the 80s. There used to be someone in Kings Norton who had one. I used to get my Dad to go a certain way to see if it was there.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 19:24, Xela said:

Saw a Ferrari Testarossa, parked up by the shops in Streetly yesterday. Lovely!

Modern Ferrari's, i wouldn't even give a second glimpse at, but the Testarossa is a poster car. 

I saw this chap, I was walking my lad on his bike, It was parked outside those few shops by the little co-op, wasn't it? Guess owner was in that posh little bar XO lounge.

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I saw this chap, I was walking my lad on his bike, It was parked outside those few shops by the little co-op, wasn't it? Guess owner was in that posh little bar XO lounge.

That's it, yeah. It was parked outside XO Lounge last weekend. 

14 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Think the Testarossa was the only literal poster car I had, and a toy model of it when I was about a kid in the 80s. There used to be someone in Kings Norton who had one. I used to get my Dad to go a certain way to see if it was there.

You see Lambos and  Ferraris most days now, but back when we were young they were an event. Testarossa, Countach, F40, 959 and F1 were the poster cars of my youth. I've only ever seen a handful of them on the road. I think one F1 and 959 and no more than three F40s

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

You see Lambos and  Ferraris most days now, but back when we were young they were an event. Testarossa, Countach, F40, 959 and F1 were the poster cars of my youth. I've only ever seen a handful of them on the road. I think one F1 and 959 and no more than three F40s

959 is a very special car, be lucky to even see one of them at a show now. There's a guy up on the Chester road by the Plough and Harrow has got a bit of a collection, might be him with the Testarossa, he also owns a Lambo, Mclaren, Zonda to name a few. Always out in his kitted up Lambo in the summer, sounds like the old V8 Turbo formula one car, outrageous.

White Testarossa on Miami Vice, those were the days.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Xela said:

It's crazy the cars you see nowadays. Small 3 bed new builds with cars worth nearly as much as the house on the driveway. I guess leasing nowadays is a big part of it but not always.

I feel like you used to see the odd Porsche on your average road and a BMW or Mercedes on the drive looked like you were well off. 

3 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

It's crazy the cars you see nowadays. Small 3 bed new builds with cars worth nearly as much as the house on the driveway. I guess leasing nowadays is a big part of it but not always.

I feel like you used to see the odd Porsche on your average road and a BMW or Mercedes on the drive looked like you were well off. 

There's a lot of keeping up with the Joneses due to leasing (or, at least, finance), for sure.

Never understood the appeal myself... but then I'm not crazy about owning an Audi/Merc/BMW etc.

There was a bizarre moment recently when I was driving in my area and realised every car I'd seen in the short trip was a Merc, Beemer, Mini (so basically a Beemer), Audi or top of the line brand new VW. And I live on a pretty poor run down area. It was like everyone was either a drug dealer or a dealers wife.

Meanwhile I drive a 1l Lupo that wants to die.

• Like 1

I drive a Skoda

Of the people that work for me, there’s a Porsche, an Audi Estate, a Merc Estate, a Golf GTE.

Different people, different priorities. The guy with the Porsche lives in his mum’s house. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Definitely the finance thing. Allows a lot more people to be in expensive cars, although that may change with higher interest rates, and rebalancing of residuals. The current £250 per month A-Class might become £450 per month at replacement time. 

I'm not a fan of leasing but absolutely can see the benefits for others. I don't need a car for work so I can have older ones. If I was doing 10k-20k miles per annum, i'd be having a new car with a warranty. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

There was a bizarre moment recently when I was driving in my area and realised every car I'd seen in the short trip was a Merc, Beemer, Mini (so basically a Beemer), Audi or top of the line brand new VW. And I live on a pretty poor run down area. It was like everyone was either a drug dealer or a dealers wife.

Meanwhile I drive a 1l Lupo that wants to die.

When I was growing up in Erdington, the vast majority of cars on our estate were Ford, Vauxhall and various British Leyland marques. The artists/teachers were usually in something French and flimsy, and the sensible folk in a Volvo or Saab. Maybe an odd VW or Fiat knocking about.

No one owned a BMW or Mercedes. They just weren't for the working classes. I don't think a Porsche would have even driven through B24 in the 1980s!

• Like 1

Â