World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't see Qatar qualifying (mind you I thought Russia would be hopeless in 2018 and they were a penalty shootout away from reaching SF) but didn't they do o.k at the Copa America a few summers back so could see them getting at least a draw off Ecuador who are average away form altitude. Plus african teams can balls up winnable games so Senegal beating them isn't a cert.

Qatar will qualify and purely on sporting merit of course. In no circumstances will referees, players or coaches be threatened and have passports taken away whilst playing, have difficulties with training or rest (like noise or fire alarms at hotels) or be offered large bundles of cash if Saudi Arabia win. 

GS getting his excuses in early doors I see:

"'This is one of those groups where you're looking and thinking some of these games are potentially trickier than just the rankings. That's always a danger. There's obviously some tricky games. USA and Iran are teams we've not played for a while and the third is an unknown, but throws up a possible British derby. The other thing for us is that we play seven days after the season stops, so there's not a lot of time in England to prepare."

:rolleyes: Unbelievable Jeff!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

GS getting his excuses in early doors I see:

"'This is one of those groups where you're looking and thinking some of these games are potentially trickier than just the rankings. That's always a danger. There's obviously some tricky games. USA and Iran are teams we've not played for a while and the third is an unknown, but throws up a possible British derby. The other thing for us is that we play seven days after the season stops, so there's not a lot of time in England to prepare."

:rolleyes: Unbelievable Jeff!!

He’s hardly going to come out and say “This draw’s a piece of piss! We’ll walk it into the playoffs.” 🙃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Supposedly, in terms of average rankings, it's actually the toughest group, though both USA and Iran are possibly rather artificially highly ranked at the moment.

I do think Iran are underrated, they wont win the group but not an easy team. I think they will finish over USA 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I do think Iran are underrated, they wont win the group but not an easy team. I think they will finish over USA 

I haven't seen them live, just highlights from Asian qualifying, but they look organised anyway. You don't only concede 5 goals in 10 games unless you're pretty well set defensively.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I haven't seen them live, just highlights from Asian qualifying, but they look organised anyway. You don't only concede 5 goals in 10 games unless you're pretty well set defensively.

They are usually hard to break down, they played in the last 2 tournaments got knocked out first round but just conceded 6 goals and they played some decent teams Spain, Portugal, Nigeria and Argentina 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He’s hardly going to come out and say “This draw’s a piece of piss! We’ll walk it into the playoffs.🙃

No, I take your point and most managers would trot out this sort of thing, but in their mind would really believe the above. Trouble is, I think that GS actually does believe that these games will be tricky and he will set up his teams to avoid defeat, rather than to win the first two games (as we are expected to and will need to do, if we are to have realistic hopes of reaching the business end of the competition).   

Lise Klaveness - the head of Norwegian FA who stood up on the podium and spoke against the corruption, barbarity and ridiculousness of Qatar has now revealed that people from the top of the pyramid warned her that she shouldn’t say anything negative, as she’s a woman, a lesbian and that they’ll wreck her career and family if she does. What did she do? She went even harder. Amazing woman.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Southgate wont have a easy route like he did at euros next stage

If he finishes at QF, he still keeps his job.

Then on to San Marino and Finland! 

See you in 2024. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If he finishes at QF, he still keeps his job.

Then on to San Marino and Finland! 

See you in 2024. 

Yeah he should get the QF even if the Dutch mess up and we get them 2nd round I'd expect England to win that game 

QF would still be heralded in the press, perhaps he'd benefit from Englands lacklustre history in the tournament, QF looks bad on paper but its not been achieved that many times so it will still be considered OK, would depend on the manner of how we eventually go out

Play utter garbage for 5 games but go out to a decent sized team on penalties in the QFs and no one will care 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah he should get the QF even if the Dutch mess up and we get them 2nd round I'd expect England to win that game 

QF would still be heralded in the press, perhaps he'd benefit from Englands lacklustre history in the tournament, QF looks bad on paper but its not been achieved that many times so it will still be considered OK, would depend on the manner of how we eventually go out

Play utter garbage for 5 games but go out to a decent sized team on penalties in the QFs and no one will care 

I think the Dutch might be a tricky team for England, if Van Gaal is fit to coach then he would completely school Southgate

Senegal might be a tough nut to crack in the last 16 (assuming we win our group) and then it could well be France in the QF. I don't think that we would start as favourites in that QF.  

Â