World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we play france in any capacity in this tournament we lose. They are like our bogey nation we never beat them in competitive games

They have rather good players too. :(

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we play france in any capacity in this tournament we lose. They are like our bogey nation we never beat them in competitive games

I don't think there's much substance to this, tbh. We only played them in competitive games twice in the last 20 years and we drew one and lost one. And the loss was when they were reigning world and European champions. I'm not sure that qualifies as being a bogey team! 

They're one of the teams to  worry about, for sure, but no more so than Brazil, Belgium, Argentina...Ultimately we're going to have to start beating some good teams if we want to win a tournament

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there's much substance to this, tbh. We only played them in competitive games twice in the last 20 years and we drew one and lost one. And the loss was when they were reigning world and European champions. I'm not sure that qualifies as being a bogey team! 

They're one of the teams to  worry about, for sure, but no more so than Brazil, Belgium, Argentina...Ultimately we're going to have to start beating some good teams if we want to win a tournament

If you include the friendlies we have lost 5 in the last 8 with only one win

In World Cup matches we have 100% record 3-1 win in 1982.

France are decent but loads of egos. I think Southgate is shite but I won't knock the teams togetherness under him which goes a long way in tournament football.

France could have the problem of having too much of a good thing going, they've got a huge amount of depth to choose from, from experienced guys to youngsters too 

CB is insane

Got to get the balance of the squad right and hope they turn up in the mood which isn't always the case with the French 

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

France could have the problem of having too much of a good thing going, they've got a huge amount of depth to choose from, from experienced guys to youngsters too 

CB is insane

Got to get the balance of the squad right and hope they turn up in the mood which isn't always the case with the French 

I dont think France are that great, Deschamps is a negative coach. As for centre back nobody is having a great season 

Its probably one of the top teams I fancy England beating. Netherlands, Germany under Flick and Spain will be a problem from the European teams ad they have a competent manager. I cant see Belgium, Croatia or Portugal going far but they are also bogey teams for England

21 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Lise Klaveness - the head of Norwegian FA who stood up on the podium and spoke against the corruption, barbarity and ridiculousness of Qatar has now revealed that people from the top of the pyramid warned her that she shouldn’t say anything negative, as she’s a woman, a lesbian and that they’ll wreck her career and family if she does. What did she do? She went even harder. Amazing woman.

That bloke is an utter scumbag. "Understand the issues." Yeah, stone women for having affairs and hang LGBTQ+ people. The beautiful game should simply not take place there - but sadly it's been corrupted to its core by money.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That bloke is an utter scumbag. "Understand the issues." Yeah, stone women for having affairs and hang LGBTQ+ people. The beautiful game should simply not take place there - but sadly it's been corrupted to its core by money.

I think you might be confusing Qatar with Saudi Arabia there? Qatar has only used the death penalty once in the last 20 years and it was not by hanging or stoning either. There are issues with human rights but not so much around capital punishment as far as I'm aware?

It's the indentured labour used to build the stadiums that gets most of the headlines, in many ways the World Cup has put a spotlight on this issue and workers rights have improved after reforms brought about by Qatar being the host nation and under that spotlight.

So as hypothetical, if we assume these changes would not have occured had the World Cup not come to Qatar, is it possible to say it has been a net positive to give Qatar the World Cup?

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think you might be confusing Qatar with Saudi Arabia there? Qatar has only used the death penalty once in the last 20 years and it was not by hanging or stoning either. There are issues with human rights but not so much around capital punishment as far as I'm aware?

It's the indentured labour used to build the stadiums that gets most of the headlines, in many ways the World Cup has put a spotlight on this issue and workers rights have improved after reforms brought about by Qatar being the host nation and under that spotlight.

So as hypothetical, if we assume these changes would not have occured had the World Cup not come to Qatar, is it possible to say it has been a net positive to give Qatar the World Cup?

Categorically, no. I’m very much a utilitarian, so I understand your hypothetical, but no. 

Aside from the obvious that rewarding corruption is enormously harmful for not just the sport, but for society as a whole, the human cost involved is too f***ing grim to talk about net positives. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John said:

They have rather good players too. :(

What about that French left back? 

I've read on this very forum that he's shit! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

They talk a good talk, the reality on the ground seems to be rather different

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/nov/22/qatar-labour-rights-reforms-world-cup-legacy

Despite the International Labour Organisation (ILO) claiming that more than 200,000 workers have changed employers since the new laws were rolled out, the Guardian met only one worker – a young man from Kenya – who had managed to leave his job.

His experience spoke strongly of the potential empowerment the new laws could bring to worker’s lives. When he first arrived in Qatar, he was earning 625 rials (£127) a month as a construction worker. Now he is working for a logistics company with a salary almost three times higher. “I’m able to send much more money home. Now I can’t complain,” he says.

Yet everyone else the Guardian spoke to who wanted to change jobs says it is difficult or impossible to do so.

They allege their companies are simply ignoring the new laws. Some say their bosses threaten to impose fines or hold back wages if they try to change jobs, and that they are living so close to destitution this could be catastrophic.

Other workers say employers refuse to sign resignation letters or issue “no-objection certificates”, seemingly unaware that neither are required under the reformed labour code.

“They threaten us, saying they will deduct the cost of our room and bedding from our salary and refuse to pay end-of-service benefits if we try to leave,” one Indian security guard says. “We are still under their control.”

A Kenyan security guard says: “I found another job but when I went to my company, they refused to release me. I waited three months and they refused again.” He says he could go to a labour court to fight his case but would have to pay for transport that he cannot afford and take time off work that his company will not allow.

Migrant-rights.org, an advocacy group for migrant workers across the Gulf, describe the end of kafala as a “mirage”, saying that employers could easily prevent unhappy workers from leaving.

When asked if the reforms had made a difference, another worker from Nepal gives a simple verdict: “Kafala is alive.”

The new minimum wage of 1,000 rials a month, plus food and board, appears to be more rigorously enforced. Most low-wage workers interviewed said they receive the legal minimum, a significant increase on their previous salaries, except some security guards who routinely work 12-hour shifts, but do not receive the mandated overtime payments.

Yet the new minimum wage set by the Qatari government, one of the richest countries in the world, is still equivalent to just £1 an hour.

Such low wages mean that workers often remain in Qatar for years, unable to afford to return home to their families. One Nepali worker who talked to the Guardian has not seen his wife and child in five years. “When I call my son he doesn’t come to me,” he says. “He won’t [even] talk to me on the phone.”

The Qatari authorities and the ILO acknowledge that the reforms are a work in progress. “[The Qatari government] are faced with implementation challenges and with some level of resistance, which is not surprising given their magnitude,” says Max Tuñón, head of the ILO project in Qatar.

Small steps in the right direction, yet small consolation to the thousands of workers who've died in recent years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

They talk a good talk, the reality on the ground seems to be rather different

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/nov/22/qatar-labour-rights-reforms-world-cup-legacy

Small steps in the right direction, yet small consolation to the thousands of workers who've died in recent years

Yeah I’m not looking to jump in and be the champion for Qatar but it’s an interesting thought experiment tho consider whether all this attention around the World Cup has made positive changes (brought about by external human rights groups taking the opportunity to shine the spotlight) and is that a positive place to have arrived at despite getting there via FIFA backhanders?

BBC & ITV Schedule 

Monday 21 November

• Senegal vs Netherlands - 10am - ITV

• England vs Iran - 1pm - BBC

• Qatar vs Ecuador - 4pm - BBC

• USA vs Ukraine/Scotland/Wales - 7pm - ITV

Tuesday 22 November

• Argentina vs Saudi Arabia - 10am - ITV

• Denmark vs Tunisia - 1pm - ITV

• Mexico vs Poland - 4pm - BBC

• France vs UAE/Australia/Peru - 7pm - BBC

Wednesday 23 November