World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Senegal vs Netherlands now the opening game of the tournament. Strange 

I wonder if the opening ceremony will be before that game or before Qatar later that day

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Senegal vs Netherlands now the opening game of the tournament. Strange 

I thought that was odd too. During the draw they said that the Qatar Ecuador game was going to be first.

Must be something to do with the opening ceremony. Or just timings so that Qatar get the best TV slot or something.

• 1 month later...

Not sure this even qualifies as news but Swedish telly did a little research.

World Cup hotels in Qatar say no to homosexuals

20 hotels listed on the World Cup's website recommend homosexuals not to show that they are gay if they want to book a room.
Some do not allow homosexuals to book rooms at all.
It shows a survey conducted by SVT Sport, together with NRK and DR.

The FIFA World Cup in Qatar is for everyone.

That is the message that Fifa's chairman Gianni Infantino has marketed ahead of the controversial championship that will be decided later this year. As recently as March, during the Fifa congress in Qatar, he stated that the doors will be open to anyone who wants to go there and watch the World Cup - despite the fact that homosexuality is prohibited by Qatari law.

"Everyone is welcome here in Qatar, even when it comes to LGBTQI people," he assured.

Three no

But it does not seem that all the 69 hotels that Fifa themselves recommend on the World Cup's website follow it. It shows a survey conducted by SVT, NRK and DR. 59 of them we got answers from.

Three of the World Cup hotels answered our question in the negative.

"Thank you for the question, but according to our hotel policy, we can not accommodate you," replied the hotel The Torch Doha, for example.

https://www.svt.se/sport/fotboll/flera-vm-hotell-i-qatar-sager-nej-till-homosexuella

Obviously not acceptable and comes as a shock to no one... But at the same time its a weird thing to declare isn't it? I'd guess that a football tournament sees a lot of men (and women) share hotel rooms to save costs, surely theyre not asking when you book a room for 2 adults both men "are you gay?" and at the same time when making the booking on booking.com or whatever in the special comments section no one is stating "we are gay" - dont get me wrong at the same time I can understand why no one would want to stay at a hotel that discriminated in that way (or go to a country that discriminates in that way...) 

Infantino and FIFA should be grilled on it still 

I'm kinda more surprised that it wasn't more hotels who said no. Could probably get the same response if you asked around in Southern US for the 2026 WC.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the World Cup is getting interesting with some good old fashion  messy legal case.

Chile are suing to have Ecuador eliminated to take the place as they have alleged an Ecuador player was born in Colombia and also n a different birth date. Bigger issue is Chile didnt finish in the highest non-qualifying position as that was Colombia 

To make it even more confusing Peru is playing UAE/Australia next week for a place in the tournament so they would need to rearrange that quick :D 

Wales v Ukraine.

I'm so nervous! I'm half Welsh and Wales are my 2nd international team. For them to be in a world cup for the first time in my life would be amazing! But Ukraine were brilliant against Scotland and are so inspired with the war going on, I think they'll win it. I think i read that they were unbeaten in the qualifying group matches?! Yikes! The home advantage and Bale and Ramsey give me some hope though. Live on S4C and ITV. Four hours to go...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robby b said:

Wales v Ukraine.

I'm so nervous! I'm half Welsh and Wales are my 2nd international team. For them to be in a world cup for the first time in my life would be amazing! But Ukraine were brilliant against Scotland and are so inspired with the war going on, I think they'll win it. I think i read that they were unbeaten in the qualifying group matches?! Yikes! The home advantage and Bale and Ramsey give me some hope though. Live on S4C and ITV. Four hours to go...

All the best 👍.  You never know with a big crowd behind you.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, robby b said:

Wales v Ukraine.

Yes its a tough one. I think the Ukraine are playing with zero pressure because of whats going on over there. Normally I would fancy Wales but this weight of emotion and empathy for the Ukraine makes it doubly difficult. 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes its a tough one. I think the Ukraine are playing with zero pressure because of whats going on over there. Normally I would fancy Wales but this weight of emotion and empathy for the Ukraine makes it doubly difficult. 

Yes, I think Ukraine will probably play unusually well again.

Ben Davies has said it feels "insensitive" to play a game of football when the opponents are at war at home. He's raised an important point and I do feel uncomfortable too with the situation. But on the other hand the Ukraine FA or team could have pulled out and it's their decision not to. They've asked to still play the play-offs so Wales are complying with their decision. Also it's another way of defying Putin, I suppose: Russia have been thrown out of the World Cup and in contrast Ukraine are showing that they're still in it despite his 'special military operation' invasion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Even at this late stage its surreal that Qatar is actually hosting a World Cup. Reasons not to...

• Bribed their way to hosting
  • Worker deaths
  • Humans rights violations
  • Discrimination against homosexuals and others, alcohol bans
  • Having to rip up multiple continents entire football schedule to accommodate
  • Multiple stadiums in one city, something never allowed outside of one in previous competitions due to by FIFA regulations
  • Stadiums built that will host a handful of games and never be used again
  • Not enough hotels to house fans
  • Very strong chance of empty stadiums as per other competitions hosted in Qatar
  • Hosts with zero football pedigree

All this at a time of protests, kneeling, marches etc to push for equality the world over and all the Confederations, teams and players just say "ok" and accept it. There has been a full 12 years for sense to prevail and change the host but nope, barely a hint of it. Everyone just allowed it to happen.

You missed the most important red flag of all.

Even Sepp Blatter thought it was a bad idea :D  

**** Platini

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Can already tell the referee in this Wales/Ukraine match will be card happy. 

He’s quality I think, no nonsense ref. Booked Joe Allen in the 2nd minute, because it was a blatant yellow. Thats a good ref. The Dan James one was deserved too, just for that haircut

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

Â