Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, KHV said:

too much by the looks of it!

Office work, admin/merchandiser basically. I'm not exactly claiming I'm hard done by but there's definitely people in better situations and I totally agree about the working from home or shortening the working week where possible. It's an outdated way of thinking and it's about time this was looked at. 

23 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Thankfully no, I don't think that's even legal.

You aren't legally obliged to have paid bank holidays but as the equation for annual leave works out at 28 days ( I think ) for full time workers most companies give the bank holidays within the legal limit rather than other days 

I get 31 days (with a bank holiday allowance on top), but I've worked for the same company for nearly 15 years. We also have the opportunity to buy and sell up to an extra 5 days (Basically a weeks less or more pay, divided over your yearly pay). Memory is hazy, but I'm sure I started out with 25 (or a pro rata amount as I worked longer hours when I first started).

I work in telecommunications.  

• Like 1

I'd hate being forced to take holiday at Christmas, other than Christmas/Boxing day, **** that.

I get 30 plus bank holidays to take whenever I want. Did take some haggling when I started working here though.

This is where working for yourself has it's drawbacks.

I get no paid holiday or sick leave at all, but there are many other positives that outweigh the negatives so i'm not too fussed.

• Like 1

I'd hate being forced to take holiday at Christmas, other than Christmas/Boxing day, **** that.

Work in construction, it's the claw (well working rule agreement or whatever it's called) it's not really aimed at the likes of me but we actually have rules in this country meaning labourers etc have to take a certain number of days off, the easiest way around it is a shutdown over Christmas, if you work on our sites over Christmas for whatever reason you won't actually be paid for it, you'll get a day off in lieu during the year

My Director always books 2 weeks over Christmas off begining of the year. Pisses me right off, means I have to be in. He has no kids an no wife now. I have recently had a little boy I would like to spend all over Christmas with, though people without kids do not understand. I managed to blag it last Christmas, to point he didn't know till we all returned, he was well miffed. I just said I thought he knew.

• Like 1

Driving on a side road (think country road) ...in not so great conditions you always ...I mean always end up hitting the biggest pothole when a car is passing you the other way ......there might not be any pot holes in the road, but that one but you will hit it just as another car is passing you ......Mutha **** 

57 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My Director always books 2 weeks over Christmas off begining of the year. Pisses me right off, means I have to be in. He has no kids an no wife now. I have recently had a little boy I would like to spend all over Christmas with, though people without kids do not understand. I managed to blag it last Christmas, to point he didn't know till we all returned, he was well miffed. I just said I thought he knew.

Can you not book those two weeks off on your first day back in the office in the new year (i.e. before he has chance to)?

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can you not book those two weeks off on your first day back in the office in the new year (i.e. before he has chance to)?

I SO don't miss all that shit. 

• Like 2

We have fixed holiday over xmas and nobody seems to complain about it.

I'd rather have that time off anyway so it's a no brainer for me. I usually save up holiday anyway to make sure I have a full 2 weeks off over xmas.

fwiw, I'm a combination of dAVe and Tony, I get a decent amount of leave, plus the office closes over Christmas which is done as a 2 for 1 deal. It usually needs 3 days to be closed between Christmas and New Year, we keep and book 2 and get given 1.

I also work some unsociable hours so there's a good bit of flexibility too. If I'm on the road for 2 or 3 or 4 days then come the end of the week I can work a soft day, i.e. be on call but sort of work from home.

Every once in a while if travel coincides with school hols, I'll take the folks along, work a day and stay an extra day.

It's pretty flexible, but it also means pretty much 'on call' pretty much most of the time.

Â