Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

On 25 November 2015 at 07:42:20, sexbelowsound said:

This is one of the few things that you see clearly in Garde's Lyon side. He loves a proper defensive midfielder. If they have other attributes then great but first and foremost they need to protect the defense.

Neither Lambert or Sherwood utilised Sanchez properly. Garde will.

Spot on.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

You'd think he'd do it in English given how long he has been in the country.

some foreign managers dont like giving interviews in English for fear of being misquoted, maybe Sanchez is the same way

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

Spot on.

I don't think Lambert or Sherwood ever utilised any of our midfielders properly.

For ages under Lambert I was moaning that we had a central midfield three that all did the same job. Westwood Delph and Cleverly are all that middle man in midfield that doesn't really defend but doesn't really attack. They're either box to box in Delph's case, or they're a link man in Westwood/Cleverley's case.
So we had 3 players doing the same job.

I hope Garde continues to use Sanchez as a proper DM. It's clearly how he works best.

• Like 3

I hope I am not being disrespectful, but I don't think some fans quite understand this role....I am equally not trying to be "holier than thou" or an expert on DM's but I did learn the hard way, being hard on Des Bremner in those days and now realising that i was not evaluating the game properly.I seen Des as low Grade and Cowans and Mortimer as the quality.....How wrong I was, not that Cowans and Mortimer were not quality.....but Bremner was colossus.....The engine room.

These type of players are usually short passers of the ball , If they can spray balls around like Cowans or Hoddle it is most unusual.....NRC got criticised for his passing, but in fact it wasn't as bad as some claimed when you study his play.....Sanchez is in the same boat......They are absolutely crucial to holding things together and allowing the Flair players a platform to play.

I have also seen Sanchez receive suicide balls or he has had no one to pass to because the running off the ball is poor....in some cases unfair blame.

I am not saying he is perfect or blameless, but IMO he gets flak when it is someone else's fault that was the case for NRC too imo.....another player that was not eye candy.

It does not surprise me one iota that at seasoned manager see's something in him.....we need to cast our eyes at some of the ones that are more responsible for our demise.

I just wished he was younger.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Neil said:

Rémi Garde: Why Carlos Sanchez stands out in my team. 

Have a read: http://bit.ly/1XsQxvV

Little piece on remi giving a Carlos lovin'

Could he be the next petrov, sitting back controlling and doing the thankless job.  Only receiving fans plaudits when we see the holes left whenever not in the team?

I agree with Remi on this

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think Lambert or Sherwood ever utilised any of our midfielders properly.

For ages under Lambert I was moaning that we had a central midfield three that all did the same job. Westwood Delph and Cleverly are all that middle man in midfield that doesn't really defend but doesn't really attack. They're either box to box in Delph's case, or they're a link man in Westwood/Cleverley's case.
So we had 3 players doing the same job.

I hope Garde continues to use Sanchez as a proper DM. It's clearly how he works best.

its weird, i thought sherwood got midfield pretty spot on in first season. Cleverly was the high presser (we miss him, his energy and amount of interceptions he did in first half under sherwood was very impressive) with delph supporting from slightly deeper. I think it was clear on the 3mids positions and it worked quite well. I dont know if he was trying to push westwood into cleverly role from last season (note Leicester game) but it made westwood look pretty amateurish. Veretout doesnt look like hes got the fitness and looks pretty slow/sluggish to do cleverly role and think everything else just crumbled.

i actually think cleverly was vital for sherwood and more so than delph.

sry.. OT

Edited by gharperr

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with Remi on this

Me too, I used to say the same about petrov funnily enough.  The powerhouse in the middle doing the thankless jobs that you miss badly when they're not there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope I am not being disrespectful, but I don't think some fans quite understand this role....I am equally not trying to be "holier than thou" or an expert on DM's but I did learn the hard way, being hard on Des Bremner in those days and now realising that i was not evaluating the game properly.I seen Des as low Grade and Cowans and Mortimer as the quality.....How wrong I was, not that Cowans and Mortimer were not quality.....but Bremner was colossus.....The engine room.

These type of players are usually short passers of the ball , If they can spray balls around like Cowans or Hoddle it is most unusual.....NRC got criticised for his passing, but in fact it wasn't as bad as some claimed when you study his play.....Sanchez is in the same boat......They are absolutely crucial to holding things together and allowing the Flair players a platform to play.

I have also seen Sanchez receive suicide balls or he has had no one to pass to because the running off the ball is poor....in some cases unfair blame.

I am not saying he is perfect or blameless, but IMO he gets flak when it is someone else's fault that was the case for NRC too imo.....another player that was not eye candy.

It does not surprise me one iota that at seasoned manager see's something in him.....we need to cast our eyes at some of the ones that are more responsible for our demise.

I just wished he was younger.

I'd say that NRC took flak because he himself didn't understand his limitations - too many times he tried to do something fancy with the ball or play a deft pass when he just didn't really have the ability to do so. He was a good DM though, an absolute athlete and good at breaking up play. The memory that will stay with me of him was watching him man-mark Cronaldo out of a game, and the latter being subbed off to a chorus of boos from our lot, going as slowly as possible to milk more attention. 

Sanchez is better at understanding his role and is a bit better technically too. 

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd say that NRC took flak because he himself didn't understand his limitations - too many times he tried to do something fancy with the ball or play a deft pass when he just didn't really have the ability to do so. He was a good DM though, an absolute athlete and good at breaking up play. The memory that will stay with me of him was watching him man-mark Cronaldo out of a game, and the latter being subbed off to a chorus of boos from our lot, going as slowly as possible to milk more attention. 

Sanchez is better at understanding his role and is a bit better technically too. 

I agree, I think Sanchez is/was a better Player than Nigel.....But If I am honest I would prefer Nigel to Westwood although not quite the same player.

In relation to his not understanding his limitations, I have to disagree on the basis I was in his company when I heard him say ( horses mouth) I pass short because my distance passing is not good enough......But his short passing ration was more successful than some admit to.

Nigel was one of the most misunderstood players we ever had, Wasn't technically gifted at all .....He was absolutely passionate about his job at Villa and that used to spill over in his criticism of other players, when in fact he wasn't good enough himself to criticise....However that does not necessarily mean the criticism he aimed was not warranted. He was not a very good loser either he would have visible downers when we lost, He would criticise Gabby foe being Lazy way back then.....But Petrov said he loved when he was playing because it released himself to be more creative....Petrov loved Nigel, but he was an acquired taste with the players as well as the fans.....I think more players liked him than didn't , but he was very outspoken.....Hence the contretemps.

Without getting carried away (and none of our players are without criticism), but I am pleased Sanchez is getting a bit of appreciation

Makele was an amazing player.....but on the surface, nothing special, but when you study the game OMG

He was one of them, that when he went off everyone else's game dropped a bit.

Not saying Sanchez is as good as Makele but they are from a similar stable.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Makele was an amazing player.....but on the surface, nothing special, but when you study the game OMG

Definitely similar players, although Makelele clearly better,

The problem is, Makelele was a pioneer of sorts with that role, especially in this country. The game has adapted to cope with that kind of player, so unless a midfielder possesses something more, he's unlikely to have close to the kind of impact Makelele did.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

Off topic but NRC mostly got criticised for constantly going out of position and not doing a proper DM job.

8 minutes ago, bose said:

Off topic but NRC mostly got criticised for constantly going out of position and not doing a proper DM job.

Hes gone and everyone has their opinions, but I was merely talking about another DM on the subject of Sanchez, hence drifting off topic.

8 minutes ago, bose said:

Â