Callum Robinson

sir_gary_cahill

Lambert was criticised for not playing Gardner, Grealish and Robinson but they won't get any starts this season under Sherwood either

Not strong enough or robust enough for the premier league

Best out on loan and take a look again in the summer

I'd love to be proved wrong but I'd be staggered if Gardner and Robinson make PL standard and Grealish, whilst having a better chance, has a way to go yet too IMO

Lambert was criticised for not playing Gardner, Grealish and Robinson but they won't get any starts this season under Sherwood either

I'd love to be proved wrong but I'd be staggered if Gardner and Robinson make PL standard and Grealish, whilst having a better chance, has a way to go yet too IMO

Gardner has never looked 'not good enough' imo. Surely the issue with Gardner is how injury prone he has been. Robinson looks very lightweight but most young lads do. Fact is there are very few Rooney's and Milner's... Most need to be blooded to become good enough and reach their potential. Problem is they don't get opportunities. It is literally a double edged sword here. 

I forgot we only sign big, strong, physical players... oh wait.

Young players get written off far too early in England. Especially when he's just had a 15 minute cameo in his first senior game in how many months... against a team 3rd in the Premier League with international centre backs.

Brilliant.

I've not based it on 15 mins though, I've seen a lot of the U21 squad and also watched a number of loan games

It would be great if a few of our youngsters could make it through but in my opinion only Grealish at the moment is anywhere near. Gardner is doing ok with Forest as a defensive mid but isnt setting the world on fire. Robinson has skills but not the physique at the moment

I said the same about Bannan and Delfonesco and I think that will be the way Robinson and Gardner end up. I hope they all make it but calls for them to be starting during our final run in to fend off relegation are ridiculous - seriously ridiculous

Gardner has never looked 'not good enough' imo. Surely the issue with Gardner is how injury prone he has been. Robinson looks very lightweight but most young lads do. Fact is there are very few Rooney's and Milner's... Most need to be blooded to become good enough and reach their potential. Problem is they don't get opportunities. It is literally a double edged sword here. 

Gardner has been massively hampered by injury and for me he hasn't returned the same player - I really like him but I just can't see it

None of them are helped by the hype and silly calls for them to start PL games

Sherwood is supposedly fond of bringing through youngsters but I g'tee that Grealish with a few 15 min sub apperances is the most that you'll see this season

Gardner has been massively hampered by injury and for me he hasn't returned the same player - I really like him but I just can't see it

None of them are helped by the hype and silly calls for them to start PL games

Sherwood is supposedly fond of bringing through youngsters but I g'tee that Grealish with a few 15 min sub apperances is the most that you'll see this season

From what I've seen of Gardner's loan spells he seems to always fit in well and chips in with a goal here and there. Granted they're lower leagues but until I see him in a Villa shirt again and playing some consistent football for us I really don't want to write him off. I have no doubt if he can stay fit he'll eventually develop into a very good midfielder. He certainly has all the potential. Heck there's a reason he got a contract extension under Lambert having not even played 45 minutes of competitive football for him. 

I agree that a lot of our youngsters are overhyped. I do however think they need to start games to get that experience if they are ever going to push on and become first team players. Cameo appearances only go so far. Weimann, Clark and Baker all got extended runs in the 1st team and now they're 1st team players. Gabby got blooded like I've never seen by MON and arguably owes his career to MON imo lol. Grealish has the potential. He needs the game time and confidence behind him. It's got to happen at some point if he's going to succeed. 

He won nothing in the air but I dunno he looks lively and threatening like Weimann did a few years back.

He's getting stick for striking his chance early but then PNE caught out De Gea with the goal so was worth it.

It was difficult situation for him to come into...like when Benteke came on v Chelsea when they were leading. When these top team are in front they can sit back deep and see out games fairly easily.

I'd have liked to have seen Grayson bring him on at 1-1, when Man. United were still flooding forward and there was a bit more space on the break.

Spot on, literally like men against boys.

Looks a bit weak and clumsy. Typical villa graduate tbh

Writing him off already? :)

This 'writing off' claim is nonsense really. See it a lot in the grealish thread.

Writing people off at this stage is no more ridiculous than saying ppl will make it. In fact it's less ridiculous given the percentage of players that don't make it.

My comment was not predicting the future of Callum Robinson. It was highlighting the here and now, and ATM, well last night, he looked shite!

If a player's main problem is that he is weak then that's easily fixed, and there's no better example of that than the 'previously weak' Harry Kane who was also unremarkable in their youth team and fairly shite on several loans.  He hit the gym in the summer and hasn't looked back (which has nothing to do with his neck muscles).  And before the scan-readers proclaim that I'm trying to say Robinson == Kane, I'm not.  What I am saying is that you look at what a player is lacking and see if it can be fixed.  Maybe it can, maybe it can't.  The odds may be on WoodyTom's side in that it is more likely he won't make it.  But you only have to be wrong once to lose out on a star player, that's why there's no harm in giving a player every chance to succeed before giving up on them.

• Like 3

I forgot we only sign big, strong, physical players... oh wait.

Young players get written off far too early in England. Especially when he's just had a 15 minute cameo in his first senior game in how many months... against a team 3rd in the Premier League with international centre backs.

Brilliant.

I've not based it on 15 mins though, I've seen a lot of the U21 squad and also watched a number of loan games

It would be great if a few of our youngsters could make it through but in my opinion only Grealish at the moment is anywhere near. Gardner is doing ok with Forest as a defensive mid but isnt setting the world on fire. Robinson has skills but not the physique at the moment

I said the same about Bannan and Delfonesco and I think that will be the way Robinson and Gardner end up. I hope they all make it but calls for them to be starting during our final run in to fend off relegation are ridiculous%

Fair enough. I look at players like Ryan Mason though, who as sad as this sounds has been my favourite player in the Prem this season. He went on loan everywhere, and is now 23 I think. Even Clark, he's now 25? And matured as a player. No reason why a few of ours won't do the same.

Edited by BigCarew

Â