The 2013/14 Squad

LondonLax

Back in May I wanted all this this summer -

Even if Seigrist steps up to the first team squad we'll need another GK if Given leaves. SO JED THEN
We desperately need another decent CB. If not 2 - HAPPY WITH OKORE

We could do with some cover for Lowton at RB. If not 2 if Hutton & Lichaj are going. - ARE WE COUNTING BACUNA HERE? HERD? EITHER WAY HUTTONS STILL HERE

We could do with a decent LB. - PRETTY HAPPY WITH LUNA SO FAR

We desperately need a left winger, if not 2 - HAPPY WITH THE LITTLE WE'VE SEEN OF TONEV SO FAR

We will need to replace Bent if he goes - SORTED

Baker and Weimann should be signed up for the rest of their days ASAP. Clark should be given a new contract. The rest of the 2014 contract expiry group should be made to prove themselves next year. - DONE, DONE, DONE, AND DONE :)

So all in all Im pretty chuffed Mr Lambert. Nice one.

• Like 1

For a 10.5 million net outlay, they've improved the squad, got rid permanently or at least for the season of all but one of the deadwood high earners, moved on some of the "never gonna make it at Villa" former youngsters, probably trimmed the wage bill a bit and kept hold of the star player.

That's pretty miraculous.

I'm not sure about a couple of the signings, but it's early days.

7th lowest spenders as well.

Things have changed, and for the better in so many ways.

It'll be interesting to see if it changes any views on Randy, Paul Faulkner or Paul Lambert, as well. But to me it looks like they've all played a blinder.

• Like 3

Agree with what Blandy said and the squad looks fairly balanced, decent cover and a forward line capable of top half finishes but a part of me is still worried. I still think we're mentally fragile and I still think there'll be games this season where we take heavy beatings; part of the risk of sticking with a young squad, I suppose. I just don't feel massively confident that we have a squad that can just guarantee a mid table finish and still think we could get sucked in again. That said, the transfer dealings and contract renewing has been brilliant, as good as we could have hoped. So I'm really happy with the way things have gone over the past year or so. It's hard to believe what a mess we were actually in, we've definitely weathered that now. 

Edited by nobler

I think our best 11 is very good apart from centre back which still worries me. In terms of the strength of the squad I think at the moment it is too early to say. There have been 7 new players signed but for the most part, like many fans, I know very little about most of them.

I think like last season, when a fair few fans rushed to judgement and were crying in January stating that the team and manager were not good enough, again it will be the end of the season before we can really judge how good this squad is. Bacuna, Kozak, Tonev, Okore, Luna and Helenius, a couple of them may make instant impacts much like Benteke did or may take time to find their feet and have a good end to the season much like Westwood or may in the main struggle to step up to the Prem in their first season much like Bennett.

For the outlay on paper it looks like we have done some decent business but only time will confirm that. Given the impact many of last summers signings have made though I am confident that Lambert will have unearthed at least 2 or 3 more gems.

Edited by markavfc40

think this is 1st time in a long time we have had had a squad and options. under previosu managers their was favourites and players picked because of that.

I think under Lambert this wont happen and as shown with Given, Bent and even Bennett this season is you have to earn your way into the team 

I have seen enough of Okore to say he will make a big difference to our defence, he was very tight against LPool in the second half. He will be this year's Benteke, a defensive version.

I tthink the addition of a forward will help us play a 3-5-2, or 4-4-2 and cope with any suspensions, injuries or industrial action we may encounter come the transfer season ;-)

To compare it to the MON era, we've stopped spending loads, we've gotten rid of our 'big names', our wages have been slashed dramatically, we no longer have a 'glamorous' manager, we no longer have our 'Murican kit manufacturer and we're no longer European contenders.

Yet we are, and I am included, happier right now than we were back then. Things just feel more stable and more positive. It's a funny ol' game...

To compare it to the MON era, we've stopped spending loads, we've gotten rid of our 'big names', our wages have been slashed dramatically, we no longer have a 'glamorous' manager, we no longer have our 'Murican kit manufacturer and we're no longer European contenders.

Yet we are, and I am included, happier right now than we were back then. Things just feel more stable and more positive. It's a funny ol' game...

O'Neill, glamorous? :lol:

Edited by Mantis

I'm not happier than I was during the MON era so please don't think you're speaking for everyone. Lambert has done a decent job so far of mopping up the mess left by Houllier and Mcleish (a mess facilitated by Lerner and Faulkner, it has to be said) but he made some pretty basic mistakes last season and needs to do better this time. We really need some achievements under our belt before there is too much cause for happiness.

Unless you're saying Villa fans should be happy with a young, inexpensive side who survive in the mid to lower reaches of the premier league,then we need to see a lot more success in league and cup than has been managed so far.

• Like 1

Villa have submitted their squad for the 2013-14 campaign

Following the closure of the summer transfer window on September 2, every top-flight club had a deadline of Wednesday PM to submit their squad of up to 25 players.

This should contain no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the home grown player criteria. The rest of the squad must be home grown.

A home grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday [or the end of the season during which he turns 21].

U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

Changes to the squad list can only be made during the next transfer window, which opens again on January 1 2014.

ASTON VILLA

25 squad players 

Player (Home Grown)

Agbonlahor, Gabriel (Yes) 

Albrighton, Marc (Yes) 

Bacuna, Leandro (No) 

Baker, Nathan (Yes) 

N'Zogbia, Charles (Yes) 

Bennett, Joseph (Yes) 

Benteke, Christian (No) 

Bowery, Jordan (Yes) 

Clark, Ciaran (Yes) 

Delph, Fabian (Yes) 

El Ahmadi, Karim (No) 

Given, Shay (Yes) 

Guzan, Bradley (No) 

Helenius, Nicklaus (No) 

Herd, Christopher (Yes) 

Kozak, Libor (No) 

Lowton, Matthew (Yes) 

Luna Rodriguez, Antonio  (No) 

Stevens, Enda (No) 

Stieber, Andras (Yes) 

Sylla, Yacouba (No) 

Tonev, Aleksandar (No) 

Vlaar, Ron (No) 

Weimann, Andreas (Yes) 

Westwood, Ashley (Yes)

U21 players 

(Contract and Scholars)

Abdo, Khalid 

Bannister, Charlie 

Bateman, Liam 

Burke, Graham 

Calder, Riccardo 

Carruthers, Samir

Cowans, Henry  

Crooks, Alfie 

Dempsey, Robin 

Donacien, Janoi 

Drennan, Michael 

Forth, Dylan 

Gardner, Gary 

Graham, Jordan 

Grant, Aidan  

Grealish, Jack 

Hill, Craig  

Johnson, Daniel 

Kinsella, Lewis 

Lewis, Bradley 

Lewis, Harry  

Lyden, Jordan 

Lyons-Foster, Kodi 

McKirdy, Harry 

O'Brien, Daniel  

Okore, Jores 

Robinson, Callum 

Sellars, Jerell 

Siegrist, Benjamin  

Steer, Jed 

Strain, Ryan 

Strain, Thomas  

Toner, Kevin S 

Watkins, Bradley 

Webb, Josh 

Wildin, Courtney 

Zazrivec, Tomas

Edited by packoman

I'm not happier than I was during the MON era so please don't think you're speaking for everyone. Lambert has done a decent job so far of mopping up the mess left by Houllier and Mcleish (a mess facilitated by Lerner and Faulkner, it has to be said) but he made some pretty basic mistakes last season and needs to do better this time. We really need some achievements under our belt before there is too much cause for happiness.

Unless you're saying Villa fans should be happy with a young, inexpensive side who survive in the mid to lower reaches of the premier league,then we need to see a lot more success in league and cup than has been managed so far.

True, although Houllier and McLeish had to clean up O'Neill's mess (and largely failed in that respect).

Edited by Mantis

True, although Houllier and McLeish had to clean up O'Neill's mess (and largely failed in that respect).

To be fair Houllier's work was cut off even before he properly got started, I think the summer McLeish was hired would've been lot different under Houllier.

Â