The 2013/14 Squad

LondonLax

Loan makes no difference, Enda Stevens is also on loan.  PL like the rest of us thinks Hutton is useless.

True it doesn't, although Enda's loan is a 28 day emergency loan. I guess it'll be interesting to see how long Hutton's loan will be for. Hopefully season long.

Can it be a season long one now? Pretty sure they had to be completed on Friday, when loan window opens pretty sure it's till Jan. Think Enda's will be extended or he'll go elsewhere.

Can it be a season long one now? Pretty sure they had to be completed on Friday, when loan window opens pretty sure it's till Jan. Think Enda's will be extended or he'll go elsewhere.

It had to be season long if he had gone to a Premier League club. Maybe he can go until January and get extended at that point. I can't see why they wouldn't allow a season loan though. Either way, 2 half season loans is the same.

Loan makes no difference, Enda Stevens is also on loan.  PL like the rest of us thinks Hutton is useless.

Maybe but he would not be spending 30K per week for the bloke to basically sit on his arse for 9 months,  that is a total cut your nose off moment. 

I'm not happier than I was during the MON era so please don't think you're speaking for everyone. Lambert has done a decent job so far of mopping up the mess left by Houllier and Mcleish (a mess facilitated by Lerner and Faulkner, it has to be said) but he made some pretty basic mistakes last season and needs to do better this time. We really need some achievements under our belt before there is too much cause for happiness.

Unless you're saying Villa fans should be happy with a young, inexpensive side who survive in the mid to lower reaches of the premier league,then we need to see a lot more success in league and cup than has been managed so far.

In the main I'd agree with this. Although I would say whilst I would acknowledge Lambert made a fair few mistakes last season he was, and still is, a young and relatively inexperienced manager who is still learning. The fact he quickly learned from his mistakes is very positive though.

The rest of what you said is pretty much where I am. We can debate forever and a day as to how much we spent under O'Neill and why we couldn't get income up to a level to sustain having the sixth highest wage bill whilst finishing sixth. In the main though I enjoyed the ride between 06 and 2010. We went from relegation candidates to genuine challenges for top 4 inside 3 seasons, played some decent stuff along the way scoring a shit load of goals in 07/08, beating all our local rivals regularly never losing a derby match, often giving the so called big boys a game and attendances averaged above or just below 40k. It was far better than the gutless tripe that followed under Houllier and McLeish.

Thankfully under Lambert I can see a bright future. However to get back to top 6 levels and again challenging for top 4 is going to require much greater backing than he is currently getting. Whether Lerner is the man to provide that backing and get our income up to a level to do so is very much in doubt though. What isn't in doubt is that this great club deserves way better than the struggles of the last three seasons and at the very least should be competing in the top third of the league.

I agree with your last point, Mark. I'm optimistic that Lambert will get us playing consistently better and start to move up the league this season. I'm also hopeful that he will get some decent money to spend before too long because only then will we see what he can really do by way serious squad building that could mount a real challenge in the top half.

Â