The 2013/14 Squad

LondonLax

It isn't just Randy's fault though. The era you just described was built on sand. It wasn't a case of everything being perfectly fine and then somehow Randy completely **** it up (although he did contribute to the situation).

I also don't recall you ever saying "good job Randy" when we were winning these games and challenging for 4th.

Edited by Mantis

Happy N'Zogbia hasn't been totally frozen out. I find him a very frustrating player, but still a valuable one and probably gets some stick in which he doesn't deserve for his work ethic. Hopefully he comes back from his injury hungry to get in the side as he shown promising signs last season when he was played.

It isn't just Randy's fault though. The era you just described was built on sand. It wasn't a case of everything being perfectly fine and then somehow Randy completely **** it up (although he did contribute to the situation).

I also don't recall you ever saying "good job Randy" when we were winning these games and challenging for 4th.

Then your memory is flawed.

I was a big fan of Lerner and gave him lots of credit until the evidence came out to show how bad we were actually being run.

• Like 1

I'm not happier than I was during the MON era so please don't think you're speaking for everyone. Lambert has done a decent job so far of mopping up the mess left by Houllier and Mcleish (a mess facilitated by Lerner and Faulkner, it has to be said) but he made some pretty basic mistakes last season and needs to do better this time. We really need some achievements under our belt before there is too much cause for happiness.

Unless you're saying Villa fans should be happy with a young, inexpensive side who survive in the mid to lower reaches of the premier league,then we need to see a lot more success in league and cup than has been managed so far.

In the main I'd agree with this. Although I would say whilst I would acknowledge Lambert made a fair few mistakes last season he was, and still is, a young and relatively inexperienced manager who is still learning. The fact he quickly learned from his mistakes is very positive though.

The rest of what you said is pretty much where I am. We can debate forever and a day as to how much we spent under O'Neill and why we couldn't get income up to a level to sustain having the sixth highest wage bill whilst finishing sixth. In the main though I enjoyed the ride between 06 and 2010. We went from relegation candidates to genuine challenges for top 4 inside 3 seasons, played some decent stuff along the way scoring a shit load of goals in 07/08, beating all our local rivals regularly never losing a derby match, often giving the so called big boys a game and attendances averaged above or just below 40k. It was far better than the gutless tripe that followed under Houllier and McLeish.

Thankfully under Lambert I can see a bright future. However to get back to top 6 levels and again challenging for top 4 is going to require much greater backing than he is currently getting. Whether Lerner is the man to provide that backing and get our income up to a level to do so is very much in doubt though. What isn't in doubt is that this great club deserves way better than the struggles of the last three seasons and at the very least should be competing in the top third of the league.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Villa have submitted their squad for the 2013-14 campaign

Following the closure of the summer transfer window on September 2, every top-flight club had a deadline of Wednesday PM to submit their squad of up to 25 players.

This should contain no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the home grown player criteria. The rest of the squad must be home grown.

A home grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday [or the end of the season during which he turns 21].

U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad.

Changes to the squad list can only be made during the next transfer window, which opens again on January 1 2014.

ASTON VILLA

25 squad players 

Player (Home Grown)

Agbonlahor, Gabriel (Yes) 

Albrighton, Marc (Yes) 

Bacuna, Leandro (No) 

Baker, Nathan (Yes) 

N'Zogbia, Charles (Yes) 

Bennett, Joseph (Yes) 

Benteke, Christian (No) 

Bowery, Jordan (Yes) 

Clark, Ciaran (Yes) 

Delph, Fabian (Yes) 

El Ahmadi, Karim (No) 

Given, Shay (Yes) 

Guzan, Bradley (No) 

Helenius, Nicklaus (No) 

Herd, Christopher (Yes) 

Kozak, Libor (No) 

Lowton, Matthew (Yes) 

Luna Rodriguez, Antonio  (No) 

Stevens, Enda (No) 

Stieber, Andras (Yes) 

Sylla, Yacouba (No) 

Tonev, Aleksandar (No) 

Vlaar, Ron (No) 

Weimann, Andreas (Yes) 

Westwood, Ashley (Yes)

U21 players 

(Contract and Scholars)

Abdo, Khalid 

Bannister, Charlie 

Bateman, Liam 

Burke, Graham 

Calder, Riccardo 

Carruthers, Samir

Cowans, Henry  

Crooks, Alfie 

Dempsey, Robin 

Donacien, Janoi 

Drennan, Michael 

Forth, Dylan 

Gardner, Gary 

Graham, Jordan 

Grant, Aidan  

Grealish, Jack 

Hill, Craig  

Johnson, Daniel 

Kinsella, Lewis 

Lewis, Bradley 

Lewis, Harry  

Lyden, Jordan 

Lyons-Foster, Kodi 

McKirdy, Harry 

O'Brien, Daniel  

Okore, Jores 

Robinson, Callum 

Sellars, Jerell 

Siegrist, Benjamin  

Steer, Jed 

Strain, Ryan 

Strain, Thomas  

Toner, Kevin S 

Watkins, Bradley 

Webb, Josh 

Wildin, Courtney 

Zazrivec, Tomas

not seeing hutton in that list,  am i blind?

To add to my post about Stevens and Stieber, it is a sad indictment on Hutton given that there were those 2 places that he didn't get one of them. Villa are willing to pay him not to be available for selection. That's how bad we think he is.

You're not blind Richard and I've double checked on the OS. He ain't there.

which suggests to me a loan move is lined up when the loan window opens to a championship club or other

It'll certainly focus his mind if there isn't one lined up.

Loan makes no difference, Enda Stevens is also on loan.  PL like the rest of us thinks Hutton is useless.

True it doesn't, although Enda's loan is a 28 day emergency loan. I guess it'll be interesting to see how long Hutton's loan will be for. Hopefully season long.

Â