The 2013/14 Squad

LondonLax

I think the key is that the squad is the healthiest it's been in a very, very long time. A vastly young team with emerging players in all positions, rather than ageing duds on silly wages.

Very well done, Paul.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 2

I hope in future windows we will add quality rather than quantity, but I've been happy with the business done in this window. We've got backup that we didn't have last year, and a squad of good but not exceptional (with a few notable exceptions) players who are young, hard-working and willing to play football. A lot of the bomb squad is gone too. Oh, and Benteke stayed too - I'm very pleased about that.

I'm glad we didn't get relegated and it seems Lambert has been given reasonable amounts of financial freedom to buy the people he wanted to buy, and not sell anyone he didn't want to sell. He's had a year to learn the ropes and get things set up the way he wants them; now he's got to deliver on it. I'm a big fan of his and I'm confident he will do well. However, if he does not, he's got nowhere to hide.

Knock 'em out, Hipster Lambo!

Looks alot better than last year. Could do with a 5th CB and another CM (attacking) and we would have been fighting for top 8. Still could i guess depending how the new signings fit in.

Im concerned having Vlaar and 3 kids as centre backs.

• Like 1

Like a few others have mentioned, think the squad is built. Here on out we need to bring in match winners. I'd like to see us go for 2 big signings (£10-15M range) each summer.

I don't think we'll see that next summer, probably 3-4 £6-10m players on the Benteke money, but thereafter I believe that's what we'll be looking at. My only long term concern right now is whether or not Lambert will be here long enough to see it all through to fruition... I can see the Arsenal, United and City jobs being up for grabs in a couple of years' time

Looks alot better than last year. Could do with a 5th CB and another CM (attacking) and we would have been fighting for top 8. Still could i guess depending how the new signings fit in.

Im concerned having Vlaar and 3 kids as centre backs.

Can hardly say its 3 kids at centre back. Clark is 24 this month, Okore has champions league experience.

Keeper

Guzan

Steer

Left Back

Luna

Bennett

Right Back

Lowton

Herd (or Bacuna)

Centre Backs

Vlaar

Okore

Clark

Baker

Midfield Three

El Ahmadi

Westwood

Delph

Sylla

Bacuna

Gardner

Wide Forwards

Agbonlahor

Weimann

Tonov

Henenius

Centre Forward

Benteke

Kozak

Average age of that sqauad is 23!!

Steer

Lowton

Okore

Vlaar

Luna

Sylla

KEA

Westwood

Tonev

Bacuna

Benteke

Subs:

Kozak, Bennett, Bowery, Helenius

That's almost a full XI plus bench that didn't feature in the squad before the beginning of last season. The overhaul of the team by Lambert has been nothing short of remarkable IMO.

• Like 1

We have a lot more options now, something we didn't have so much last season, and it's nice to have the chance to rest players if we need to. I assume that Lambo will see how this lot does for a couple of months before making a few more tweaks to it in January. If by then he feels that a midfielder is priority, then I'm sure he'll find one.

Possible team line ups and formations

Our usual 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1

Guzan

Lowton              Okore                                Vlaar               Luna

KEA/Sylla                Westwood                    Delph

Weimann/Tonev                                                                             Gabby

Benteke

Straight forward 442 - more direct

Guzan

Lowton              Okore                           Vlaar             Luna

Bacuna             Westwood                      Delph          Gabby

Benteke                           Kozak

442 - Diamond formation

Guzan

Lowton                Okore                                 Vlaar             Luna

Westwood

Sylla/KEA                               Delph

Tonev/Weimann/Helenius

Gabby/Kozak                                     Benteke

Our reserve team

Steer

Herd

Clark

Baker

Bennett

Bacuna

Sylla